Saving a tired barrel?

Craig Dodd

I have a 6.5 Baer (pretty much a 6.5 STW)with about 350 rounds through a 1:8 Krieger barrel. The barrel, epoxy monted in a bedding block, is 32 inches long and 1.250 full length. Inspection with my Hawkeye borescope shows about 3 to 3.5 inches of heat cracking. the rifle is still occasionally delivering 1oo yard groups in the .4 to .5 range and 200 groups in the 1 range, but will sometines shoot groups double those numbers. A while back there was some discussion about rebarrel or cut it off and rechamber and goodgrouper mentioned using something like the Tubb's Final Finish bullets to fire lap the throat area on a "tired" barrel. My question is given the 3.5 inches or so of heat cracking is it realistic to expect much barrel life extension through fire lapping the throat? Kirby, goodgrouper and others, what is your take on this? I did see that Tubb's offers both a "Throat Maintenance" kit as well as their bore lapping kit.

Thanks, Craig Dodd
in sunny SE Idaho

I doubt any "bore maintenance" or fire lapping will improve an already fire cracked barrel. With only 350 rounds, it should not yet need rechambering. My BR gunsmith told me this some time ago: If the round count is moderate, and the bore is otherwise in good shape, it can be rechambered. If you wait until it is shot out, you would be wasting your money (about $150). I had a Hart barrel in 6 ppc rechambered with 1,500 rounds thru it and it shot very well thereafter. Expect about half as much life in that barrel after it is rechambered.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.