Stick with my 6.5 Creedmoor or…….

MT260TX

I currently have a 260 and a 6.5 CM with the 6.5 my hunting rifle. Getting 2850 fps with 140 Gamechangers and Superformance out of the 6.5 with no over pressure signs. Getting a second hunting rifle in either 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC. Picked those two calibers because I want to stay with a Bergara and I want it for Elk.

Leaning towards the 7 but would it be worth it to go 6.5 PRC, sell the 6.5 CM and just use one gun for everything and is the 6.5 PRC even worth getting with my current CM performance. And finally, I don't shoot beyond 400 yds.

Not to nit pick, however, when hunting, the reality is that you might have a 500 yards shot or not shot at all.

The 7PRC will easy drop an elk at 500, the one in my avatar was 500 yards across a canyon and we were at the edge of a 20 foot rock face. We looked for a stalk path, did not see one. It was time to shoot or lose an opportunity.

Last edited:
Well for me, personal choice, if it's a 500 yd shot it's no shoot. I know the decision of shoot/don't shoot will be different for out of state hunters who have to depend of a draw for their tag. I live and hunt in Montana so if I pass up a questionable shot for me, there is always tomorrow/next week/next month/next year. If you are confident of a long range shot go for it. I know that equipment and shooter skills are much better than years ago.

...............Getting a second hunting rifle in either 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC. Picked those two calibers because I want to stay with a Bergara and I want it for Elk.

Leaning towards the 7 but would it be worth it to go 6.5 PRC,......
NO WAY IN HELLO ME AMIGO!!! You have a 6.5 that is more than adequate for deer and will kill elk.....well actually it will kill a black hole if you read much about it. 🤣 🤣. Not one question in my mind based on the two you listed the 7PRC (7RM copy...just slipped out by accident.) is a no brainer and you can kill anything in the world with it.
sell the 6.5 CM and just use one gun for everything
Call 911 immediately before reading one letter more! You have a terminal virus known as rifleisifolitus overtaking you, and it is right at the verge of killing your mind then its TU for you.
and is the 6.5 PRC even worth getting with my current CM performance. And finally, I don't shoot beyond 400 yds.
Already covered this above.

Just get the 7mm PRC. Or keep the 6.5 Creedmoor, It'll do everything you're wanting a new gun for. I'm quite fond of 7mm magnums for hunting though. The 7mm would still be a good all around deer/elk/antelope rifle without killing something "too much". Not really sure where the conundrum is. I like guns so I have a lot of them and don't really see why I wouldn't buy another just because I want it, unless funds are an issue.

Last edited:
If you have a 260 too a 6.5CM is pretty redundant and then a 6.5PRC doesn't really have that much more gas than a Creedmoor, it just has a little more effective range is all. 7PRC actually steps it up. I just got one of the Bergara Sierras in it and it's **** nice for a factory rifle but I haven't shot it yet. They do put out some duds on occasion but they generally shoot and they seem to have good CS.

The 284 case in short action stuff gets repeated so much because of long range target rifles need those long, slender pointy bullets to kill paper! Hunting bullets are short enough to shoot thru the short Remington footprint actions with extra powder capacity over a CM or 260Rem. Bullets a bit below the neck only slightly reduce powder capacity and have no other ill affect. I've washed out too many 6.5-284 barrels in long action 1000 yd bench rest guns. Never really warmed up to it a deer rifle, prefer the straight 284 in a short action or a 280ai long action.

What hasn't been mentioned here is barrel length, short barrels neuter the 6.5's. With a 20 to 22" barrel the 260/Creed will do pretty much the same as A 6.5-284. With longer barrels the 284 case pulls ahead.

Good 6.5 hunting bullets are long too and seating the base of the bearing surface below the neck shoulder junction absolutely has effects on accuracy and it has been well proven. 6.5-284 in a short action is dumb,