6.5 creedmoor or 6.5x284

Hello I'm trying to decide between a 6.5 creedmoor or a 6.5 x284. The majority of my shooting involves shooting rocks out to 1000 yards and hunting on top of that. I already have a 7mm Rem Mag that I do the majority of my long range hunting with but I'm looking for a rifle with a little less recoil capable of killing coyotes up to elk at extended ranges. I've narrowed my choices down to either a ruger m77 mkII target/varmint or a savage 10/110 varmint max 1. Any help or opinions would greatly appreciated. Thanks friends

I don't own a 6.5x284 but I do shoot a strait 284 and a 6.5 creedmoor. I use the creedmoor for local matches and generally having fun shooting while burning less powder....my 284 is a 1:11" twist so I shoot 140 vld's at 2950 fps with 53 gr of N160, the creedmoor is a 1:8" twist so I shoot the 140 A-max at 2850 fps with 42.5 gr H4350....the higher BC is the 6.5 more than makes up for the 100fps difference.

If you do a 6.5x284 you should consider a long action to get the most performance, but then you already have a 7mag so I would recommend the creedmoor, it's a sweet round with low recoil and great accuracy designed for a short action. It should definitely fit well with your 7mag.

My creedmoor load stays above 1000ft # energy to 800 yds.......use your 7mag for the elk and the creed for everything smaller.

Plus the barrel life on the creedmoor is more than twice what you can expect from the 6.5x284........my gunsmith has over 5,000 rounds on a creedmoor barrel and it's still shooting good.

Yea I was kinda leaning towards the creedmoor, now I just have to decide between the ruger and the savage platforms. All I have are rugers, but the savages are suppose to be more accurate. The ruger also has a 2" longer barrel don't know if the 2 inches would be worth it or not?

My 6.5 creed has a 26" barrel.....given the choice my personal preference would be for the Ruger platform......I own a couple Rugers and have seen a lot of Savage rifles and there is a difference in fit and finish to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.