6.5x284 or 6.5-06

Very similar to a 270 with 130's. I would consider the Recoil ito be light this one of the reasons it's such a nice round. It will have enough muzzle jump without a brake to make it hard to see your impact

You have me convinced on the 6.5x284.

Now talk to me about recoil. I have a 270 win with 130's and a 7 mag sendero shooting 180's that has a brake.

How does the recoil on a sporter type barrel 6.5x284 compare to these rounds?

Two of my 6.5x284's have a brake and the recoil feels like a 22-250. My third rifle with no brake using 140's, feels softer then s 270 with 130's.

I am going to try to stay away from a brake if I can. My Sendero is Ramsay's pleasant to shoot with a brake though. Hmmmm I see my project getting more expensive all the time.

Are there any viable factory offerings out there that I should look at? Not finding a lot of love really. Remington, Ruger, Weatherby appear to not make a 6.5x284, Savage doesn't have much to pick from in that caliber. Cooper has some nice stuff but I think a custom would be darn near cheaper! Any other factory options out there before I give up on them?

For a factory rifle, I like the long action Savage 116 Weather Warrior. It comes in 6.5x285 with a 24" barrel in a carry weight rifle.

I have one in 25-06 and this is the last year on the barrel. I will replace it with a 6.5x284 pre-fit custom barrel. Main reason I'm reading this thread...

If you can find a used 116, snatch it up and put a good pre-fit barrel on it.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/FCSSWeatherWarrior

You have no idea how many times I have considered building a rifle off a Savage action. The actual act of assembling the rifle to me seems very simple. And I am a fan of bedding my own rifles and doing all that stuff so that part would be simple. I just never know which action I need or any of that stuff. I might have to consider it.

I am just really contemplating options at this point. I kind of like the 25-06, I have been a 243 fan, and I have always had a hankering for the 6.5's. And I am a fan of shooting the heavy bullets. I like the heavy berger's in the 25-06, 87-95 in the 243(not that heavy but best that a guy can do in a factory), and the 140's in the 6.5. The 260 and Creedmoor just don't seem to push the 140 up in the area I am looking so I am kind of limited it seems.

I had a savage weather warrior in 6.5x284 and was less than impressed.
Tried all kinds of loads with the 140 bergers and never got it to shoot sub moa.
Recoil was super light though and my best velocity was just shy of 2950. For the money you can do way better with a custom pre fit barrel
If it were me I'd go with a 6.5-06 Ackley, guaranteed to get you well above 3000 fps.
I would highly recommend doing a "Remage" same ease as the savage pre fits with more options. I've done a few with the 700 actions and had great results.

I have a few Savages that were won over the years at our clubs Egg shoots, and will have to say that they are all superb shooters. My first, a 6.5x284 Long Range Hunter, and the first Savage I owned. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of this rifle. It has a nicely weighted barrel that is heavy enough for serious long range work, but still light enough for an all day carry rifle. With very little load work, it produced accuracy and consistency as good as my custom 6.5x284 rifles. I set this rifle up as a back-up for my primary hunting rifle...
Shown with two different loads with the 6.5x284 using H4831sc(2950FPS)and Retumbo(3015FPS)with Berger Hunting VLD's.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 144
Yeah I have heard similar stories to this. I have found that the number one issue with most factory rifles these days is the stock. Second is the trigger. Over the years I have taken some factory rigs, some that other people couldn't get to shoot, and got them to work. A new stock with some bedding and barrel channel work goes a long ways that is for sure.

Man just not sure what to do I guess. 500 plus just for a savag3 action not counting any magazine.

How does a 6.5 Creedmoor compare ballistics lay to the 6.5x284. I am sure it runs behind a ways.

How does a 6.5 Creedmoor compare ballistics lay to the 6.5x284. I am sure it runs behind a ways.

The CM is a great mid-range, medium game hunting round. It runs 2-300FPS less then the 6.5x284 with the 140's. This gets you to around 700 yards for a 1000 ft/lbs energy min for game. The 6.5x284 gets you to 1000 yards with this energy value with an edge with wind drift. Felt recoil between the two feels about the same to me.

This is kind of what I thought.

Tell me your feelings on the 25-06 with 115 Bergers.

How does recoil compare to the 6.5's we have been chatting about?

Ballistically it still appears to run a little short of the 6.5-284 and a little longer than the 260 and CM.

Looks like most guys are getting 3100fps with the 115's in the 25-06. Just curious of your thoughts/findings and what the felt recoil would be like on one of these?

Recoil in my 25-06 and my 6.5-06 feel the same to me, both light recoil. My boy has been using the 25-06 since he was 12 that should tell you about recoil.

The 115 run out of gas when you get into longer distances, it's a nice round but not good for long distance hunting, mine is getting rebarreled into a 280AI. I would stick with the 6.5's much more Potential with light recoil

I am kind of thinking about one of those all weathers. Probably get descent ballistics out of it even considering the little bit of velocity loss with the shorter barrel. Might have to go check one of these out.

So if I bought one of these, and decided I wanted to put a heavy barrel on it down the road, is that possible with that action? I don't know much of anything about the Savages.

What is a take off barrel worth on the streets these days if I wanted to sell it sometime down the road?

That 6.5-284/06 sized round seems to be the only real solutions for exactly what I am looking to achieve so I need to just focus on those rounds I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.