6.5-06 or 6.5x284 Rebarrel Question?

Well...had a new wrinkle thrown at me today. I was talking to another home gun builder (this guy is pro level) today. I was telling him how I couldn't pass on the long action Savage ($180 complete rifle). I was looking for a short action when I found the deal on the LA.

Well...he has the exact same parts I've already bought...except he has a short action Remington 700 that has never been fired. He has the same stock I just got in the mail...the same EGW scope base so I'm thinking about taking him up on the deal.

So the 6.5-06 will not fit in the action so that caliber is off the table. My original plan was to build a 6.5 Creedmoore...but the 6.5x284 is such an improvement over the Creedmoore...the 6.5x284 is a no brainier...got to buy new dies either way.

You can use the 6.5x284 in a short action, but you'll be limited to using shorter conventional bullets as the COAL of long range VLD bullets and similar prevent it from fitting in the magazine. Remember that even Savage uses a long action for their 6.5x284 rifles

To get full potential out of 6.5-284 you would have to seat bullets out and make it a single shot in a short action. When you seat the bullets in a 6.5-284 to use magazine you will be getting down to .260 or creedmore velocities. If you want to cycle in magazine you would be better off in a creedmore or 260 IMO.

Yeah...I'm thinking to keep the Savage LA even though I know the resale value would not be as good. I rarely ever sale anything (only exception is trying to sell my 7mm Remington UM)

So I guess I will stay with the 6.5-06...I've been googling 6.5-06 vs 6.5x284...the threads are all old, but the 06 or 06AI was the choice about 75% of the time. I'm really shocked the caliber isn't more commercially available.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.