Need cartridge suggestions

Sir Wendigo

I may be having my 300 WM barrel replaced. Its a Remington 700 receiver. I am happy to stick with 300, but is there anything better? Less body taper, no belt, a sharper shoulder, perhaps lose a tenth of body length to add to neck length. I would consider a different caliber. For example I contemplated going the 7mm Practical route, but that only necks the case down, doesn't really improve it. So if there is a cartridge out there, that in you guys can think of, SAMMI or wildcat, that works with my bolt face and in a standard long action, please let me know. Maybe post a picture or two. I would like OAL to be 3.6 or less, as it has to function in AICS magazine.

Thanks

Mike

Sir Wendigo

I guess i should also tell you that this will be used for long range hunting. I would like to stay with 30 Cal because I have the ability to shoot 230 grain bergers, but please try to change my mind if you wish and tell me what bullet to use and load data.

ohiohunter

The only thing that will satisfy most of your wishes is 300wm with a break, or download it. Or to lose the belt 300 wby with a break. Or sacrifice some velocity with a 300wsm.

I see a break in your future, esp if you stick with 300wm.

dkhunt14

300 Weatherby has a belt. The WSM doesn't. I watched a guy on Saturday shoot the 230 at 3100 with 7828 SSC with his WSM. Shot over an Oehler 35. The 215 is a good bullet also. Matt

MudRunner2005

Helping a wendigo is bad luck... I don't want to attract the curse.

But I'll make an exception this time...

7mm STW or .300 Ackley Improved Magnum would be perfect to suit your needs.

gohring3006

LRH Team Member
300 Weatherby has a belt. The WSM doesn't. I watched a guy on Saturday shoot the 230 at 3100 with 7828 SSC with his WSM. Shot over an Oehler 35. The 215 is a good bullet also. Matt

3100fps is cooking in a WSM what barrel lenght? Do he confirm his velocity with drop data it? I bet that brass is junk. That's what most guy are getting in a 300 rum

Last edited:

MudRunner2005

3100fps is cooking in a WSM what barrel lenght? Do he confirm his velocity with drop data it? I bet that brass is junk. That's what most guy are getting in a 300 rum
Yeah, I don't see him getting that kind of velocity out of a WSM.....Atleast not more than 1 firing per brass. LOL

jfseaman

Using your criteria of:
No belt
Modern shoulder
Modern taper
3.6 COAL mag fit
Shorter than a WM
Longer neck preference

If you need access to factory ammo, 300WSM is IMO the only choice.

Here is IMO the short list that meets your criteria:
300 WSM - No belt, modern shoulder, modern taper. Very close to a 300 WM
300 Dakota - same same but a bit proprietary, intended for lower pressures
308/26-Nosler - More than a WSM/WM less than a RUM
7.62 Pro - OK, this is a wow cartridge.

I'm building a 308/26-Nosler for all those reasons plus a little less than a RUM