Looking for a new gun, likely 300 WM opnions wanted.

mcali2

I have settled on the 300WM for the cal. long-range and hunting. Easy 2 get ammo. I use to buy one rifle then upgrade it because im shallow and I try to keep up with that Jones dude. I now like to buy once and cry once. Note most guns will outshoot my so let's get that out of the way. I care about weight, accuracy, looks, and feel. OK, I have a Browning hells canyon speed in 7mag with the Mcmillan stock. It shoots great and I use it to hunt Deer and Antelope. it weighs just over 6lbs without a scope. I also "had" a Christian Arms rifle in 6.5PRC. It was heaver, the Carbon fiber barrels are great but their rifles weigh just over 1 lb more. I was looking at the Browning Hells Canyon BAR mk3 semi-auto. Here I'm thinking of hunting more than long distance. Maybe less recoil? Now another brand I have seen is the Fierce rifle. Very light. But maybe too light for recoil? I donot know. Ideas, another brand? not on the Bergera or Tika bandwagon.

I settled on the WM last year. Ended up going with the 300 PRC In a ridgeline this year and never looked back, to shoot heavy for caliber bullets with an over the counter rifle-I ended up crying twice. Why bother with the 300 When your 7mm shoots basically the same bullet weights? If you don't reload then I see your point

I settled on the WM last year. Ended up going with the 300 PRC In a ridgeline this year and never looked back, to shoot heavy for caliber bullets with an over the counter rifle-I ended up crying twice. Why bother with the 300 When your 7mm shoots basically the same bullet weights? If you don't reload then I see your point
300 is just better for Elk , while you can use both, most will use the 300 for the heaver rounds. I can reload but I do not have time. So why the 300 prc over 300wm?
Thank you

To me it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle. Hey no judging here, I try to find that excuse at least twice a year. Your 7mm mag is more then adequate for big game including elk, moose and bear. My hunting group more then half shoot 7 mags for moose every year without problems! If grizzly was on the hit list then I'd step up just for pure comfort of making sure he stops. Hey I also have a 7mm mag and have a 300 norma showing up tomorrow or Thursday lol so I definitely can't judge!!

that said the 300. Win mag is great. Cheaper then the prc, more options for brass and factory ammo. That being said the prc is better suited for long range with factory ammo as it's marketed and produced that way. ballistically they are the same. With adg making prc brass that's a big step up in the right direction, plus no belt if that's something you care about if you go back to reloading. The win mag is tried and true.

To me it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle. Hey no judging here, I try to find that excuse at least twice a year. Your 7mm mag is more then adequate for big game including elk, moose and bear. My hunting group more then half shoot 7 mags for moose every year without problems! If grizzly was on the hit list then I'd step up just for pure comfort of making sure he stops. Hey I also have a 7mm mag and have a 300 norma showing up tomorrow or Thursday lol so I definitely can't judge!!

that said the 300. Win mag is great. Cheaper then the prc, more options for brass and factory ammo. That being said the prc is better suited for long range with factory ammo as it's marketed and produced that way. ballistically they are the same. With adg making prc brass that's a big step up in the right direction, plus no belt if that's something you care about if you go back to reloading. The win mag is tried and true.
LOL, Well, you are 100% correct on the excuse. I had about 200 guns. I have been selling them off and trying to slim it down and buy very nice guns. sell 3 or 4 and buy one. . I want to reinvest it into a newgun I am looking to spend 5-6 k on the next gun with optics.

LOL, Well, you are 100% correct on the excuse. I had about 200 guns. I have been selling them off and trying to slim it down and buy very nice guns. sell 3 or 4 and buy one. . I want to reinvest it into a newgun I am looking to spend 5-6 k on the next gun with optics.

Lol. Are you more interested in just buying a "factory/complete right" or would you consider just getting one build to what you want? Cause if your looking for light weight they have a lot of nice components right to build with. Titanium receivers or the new defiance anti which is super light. Terminus Kratos lite is a beautiful action at a decent weight, then with AG or manners EH series and a carbon or fluted barrel you can really keep weight down and get exactly what you want? Food for thought.
If not then Christensen arms makes some nice lightweight rifles, so does gunwerks but there's tend to be pretty pricy for a package, I don't know much about fierce but hear pretty good things.

Lol. Are you more interested in just buying a "factory/complete right" or would you consider just getting one build to what you want? Cause if your looking for light weight they have a lot of nice components right to build with. Titanium receivers or the new defiance anti which is super light. Terminus Kratos lite is a beautiful action at a decent weight, then with AG or manners EH series and a carbon or fluted barrel you can really keep weight down and get exactly what you want? Food for thought.
If not then Christensen arms makes some nice lightweight rifles, so does gunwerks but there's tend to be pretty pricy for a package, I don't know much about fierce but hear pretty good things.
I could build but not sure.

I could build but not sure.

Well there's loads of Great smiths! And like I mentioned the new defiance anTI x would be a sweet start, Pierce or lone peak titanium's would be wicked, I'm a huge fan of the terminus actions and they have a lite version as well. I'm getting my first carbon wrapped barrel tomorrow (hell's canyon) so I'll see how that is but a #5 fluted bartlein or benchmark would make a great barrel, trigger tech special, and then your choice or stock (manners eh1a would probably be up there on my list).

Well there's loads of Great smiths! And like I mentioned the new defiance anTI x would be a sweet start, Pierce or lone peak titanium's would be wicked, I'm a huge fan of the terminus actions and they have a lite version as well. I'm getting my first carbon wrapped barrel tomorrow (hell's canyon) so I'll see how that is but a #5 fluted bartlein or benchmark would make a great barrel, trigger tech special, and then your choice or stock (manners eh1a would probably be up there on my list).
hells canyon with a fiber barrel? where. I just bought a hell canyon speed long distance and it fees great but i will likely sell it ( I'm a dealer).
I will look into the brands you talked about.

Sounds like you have a deer, elk and antelope rifle. I'm a 7mm shooter. However, if you want a dedicated dangerous game, moose or elk rifle there are a ton of choices in .30, .33 or bigger yet.
I guess studying commonality, availability of quality custom loads that could give you the ballistics your looking for. It really comes down to purpose, range and energy.
The world is thick with 30 cal and up solutions. A lot of campfire opinions to sort thru.
Good luck and take your time.

hells canyon with a fiber barrel? where. I just bought a hell canyon speed long distance and it fees great but i will likely sell it ( I'm a dealer).
I will look into the brands you talked about.

hells canyon armoury. It's a separate company that does carbon wrapped barrels

I know you mentioned 300 WM, but I wouldn't discount going 300 PRC. The PRC was built to spec for shooting the 200 + gr pills, to get to the BC a 7mm 180gr will have in a 30 cal you need to be in the 200+ grain bullets. I know people will say, not enough factory ammo or brass, well, that is today, it is a new cartridge and like the Creedmoor was in the beginning, others will make brass and ammo. This is just my .02, I don't own a 30 cal, when I had my Custom rifle built, I wanted a 30, but did not like the BC of the bullets, I ended up going with a 28 Nosler, gave me the HP needed to push the 180 and 195 weight class. Another option you may want to consider, but no factory ammo, reloads only is a 300 Norma Improved, Ryan Pierce makes those that are shooting lights out and are easy on the barrel with his loads. Take a look at his website, he has rifles for sale and will build to your spec.

I just put together a 300 winmag. My first full custom. Thought about the PRC, but wasn't sold on it.

If you want to shoot long range, 300 WM it is here to stay. Tried and true with factory ammo from Berger in the 215 Hybrid. You don't have to reload for it.

Take a look at the Cooper options. Accurate, appealing to the eye, not cheap - but a decent value. Several on the shelf configurations to choose from. I am also a big fan of the H-S Precision rifles. Purpose built and built to shoot. They are a fantastic gun. Both of these can run 2K to 5K and shoot with any gun out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.