Need advice for a new .300 WM

jeffdb

New here, so be gentle.
Want a hunting rifle in .300 WM. Its the upper limit of my cans. Awhile back, I had a rifle built in 6.5 CM built on a 700 action for bench shooting by Score-Hi here locally. I love that gun, I had no idea I could shoot groups that well with factory ammo. I currently do not reload, so the choice of caliber is also affected by the availability and price of factory ammo.

I would go the same route with a custom built gun, but have no desire to wait for it to be built, and still cost me well in excess of $2k. Yes i know that's chump change for some, but not for me.

I have a nice scope (Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50) all plastic wrapped waiting for a new home.

I went from Montana to Legendary to Fierce to Cooper for choices.

I desire something that comes with a threaded barrel, so that limits a little bit. I hunt in the west, so a lighter weight is a must.

Any advice is appreciated after reading bad reviews in the forums about Legendary and Fierce that are over a year old. Of course, the online blog writers all publish fluff pieces on the, so am interested in newer info.

Remember that you can have barrels threaded as long as there is enough material for proper threads and shoulder.

I've got a Cooper in 300 Win Mag and it is an amazingly accurate rifle. I had a muzzle brake added. Just took a cow elk with it at 388 yards using the Berger 215 grain bullets--you could get those through ABM Ammo in factory loads.

-David

New here, so be gentle.
Want a hunting rifle in .300 WM. Its the upper limit of my cans. Awhile back, I had a rifle built in 6.5 CM built on a 700 action for bench shooting by Score-Hi here locally. I love that gun, I had no idea I could shoot groups that well with factory ammo. I currently do not reload, so the choice of caliber is also affected by the availability and price of factory ammo.

I would go the same route with a custom built gun, but have no desire to wait for it to be built, and still cost me well in excess of $2k. Yes i know that's chump change for some, but not for me.

I have a nice scope (Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50) all plastic wrapped waiting for a new home.

I went from Montana to Legendary to Fierce to Cooper for choices.

I desire something that comes with a threaded barrel, so that limits a little bit. I hunt in the west, so a lighter weight is a must.

Any advice is appreciated after reading bad reviews in the forums about Legendary and Fierce that are over a year old. Of course, the online blog writers all publish fluff pieces on the, so am interested in newer info.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I have to admit, with the exception of the muzzle brake, I'm liking the https://christensenarms.com/firearms/bolt-rifles on my LGS ... you might want to check it out if this fits what you're looking for.

+1 on the ABM ammo!

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.