Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

Caliber will probably be a 7mm08 or 280AI - but really up in the air right now.
Have the Kimber in 243 and it shoots extremely well both with 100g deer loads and 55g varmint loads. Only down side is the stock is loud when it scraps against my body while slung on my shoulder. Fixed the problem with a stock sleeve for the rounds. Love my 7-08 and like others have stated here it kills everything up to elk, moose and brown bear very well. My first choice for everything bigger than a coyote.

Barrett Fieldcraft...the one I have is super light and it shoots as good as most of my customs with factory Ammo. The gun is high quality, superb fit and finish. You won't be disappointed.

jeremy

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

Caliber will probably be a 7mm08 or 280AI - but really up in the air right now.

I really like Seekins Havak PH2. It's a Light weight piece of functional, affordable gun art! Definitely worth a look imho.

I'm going to ask, why under 6 pounds? Is it need because 6.5lb is just too heavy or about the journey and just to see if it can be done? You could remove the scope from your existing gun and install a peep sight.

I'm going to ask, why under 6 pounds? Is it need because 6.5lb is just too heavy or about the journey and just to see if it can be done? You could remove the scope from your existing gun and install a peep sight.
Ounces seem to turn into pounds after a few days of hoofing it up and down canyons and ridges. Having a 6.5lb scoped rifle good out to 7 or 8 hundred yards seems life changing.

I don't understand why anyone needs a break on anything smaller than 300wm.

It makes shooting lightweight rifles much more accurate especially form field positions. I don't understand why anyone would not use a brake.

Have you ever hunted in "sheep country"?

It makes shooting lightweight rifles much more accurate especially form field positions. I don't understand why anyone would not use a brake.
Not needed, don't want one, extra barrel length (which ironically adds weight to the rifle), LOUDER.

Have you ever hunted in "sheep country"?
Nope. No plans to either. Sheep country or not light rifles are nice to have and none of my rifles are much over 8.5 pounds. No issues shooting 7mm08, 270 win, 280rem in mountain rifles, offhand, or "field" position, even from the bench. These aren't ultra light but are lightweight 7.5 or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts