Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

I just handled a Seekins Element yesterday and that thing is some voodoo magic. It feels extremely light, shockingly light even. It feels super handy and nimble too. I think it's a game changer.

I do not like how shiny it is. Myself and two hunting buddies agreed on that. I like the short 21" bbl concept in 6.5PRC and have been looking to build my own PRC shorty but maybe I just get this Element?

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

Caliber will probably be a 7mm08 or 280AI - but really up in the air right now.

MODEL SEVEN SS HS PRECISION 6 lbs, take it into a custom gunsmith and have them lighting cut the action.

MODEL SEVEN SS HS PRECISION 6 lbs, take it into a custom gunsmith and have them lighting cut the action.
I looked at these - by the time you pay for a new trigger and the labor the trim the action, you've got to be in fieldcraft territory cost wise dont you?

I looked at these - by the time you pay for a new trigger and the labor the trim the action, you've got to be in fieldcraft territory cost wise dont you?

It may come down to how much you want to be done, and who does it. I've always found that the trigger that Rem uses in their SS rifles were workable, I think they are Electra nickel-coated, not stainless and are very smooth when adjusted properly. So other than'..., the milling work, I think it's very doable.

Checked out a couple Barrett Fieldcraft rifles today, 308 and 30-06. Felt and fit pretty good, really light, 308 especially so. I thought some models had floorplates?

Gents, I support looking at New Ultra Lite Arms. Melvin Forbes has been making very low weight rifles since the 70's. He has been a pioneer and helped other companies get into that niche market, some that you mention in this thread. His rifles shoot very well, the three I have are all 1/2 moa guns and very rugged. The action sizes are commensurate with the cartridge being used, so your not carrying extra weight. The guns are made to order. If you want a rifle under six pounds with a scope made to your spec check them out. I have a "ula" in 280 AI, shoots very well and used it from antelope to elk. Last year's bull fell from a 160 partition in that rifle.

Last edited:
Gents, I support looking at New Ultra Lite Arms. Melvin Forbes has been making very low weight rifles since the 70's. He has been a pioneer and helped other companies get into that niche market, some that you mention in this thread. His rifles shoot very well, the three I have are all 1/2 moa guns and very rugged. The action sizes are commensurate with the cartridge being used, so your not carrying extra weight. The guns are made to order. If you want a rifle under six pounds with a scope made to your spec check them out. I have a "ula" in 280 AI, shoots very well and used it from antelope to elk. Last year's bull fell from a 160 partition in that rifle.
That's a big benefit to NULA and a somewhat detriment to Fieldcraft: limited caliber choices in the latter, unlimited with the former.

Sometimes it is easier to keep in shape, not overeat and exercise a bit in summer, then you won't have a problem to carry 8lb rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.