Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

PredatorSlayer

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

Caliber will probably be a 7mm08 or 280AI - but really up in the air right now.

I've owned a Kimber Montana in 308 win and 270 WSM. I liked them both. Shouldn't have sold either of them but always something new and shiny to covet.

The 308 had much more recoil than you might expect. All-in weight, with Talley rings and a 1" Leupold was 6lbs. It sure jumped around on the bench. Non muzzle brake model. New models with threaded barrels & a brake would be nice.

308 took some time to find a load for but ended up with a nice SUB MOA load with 150 Barnes TTSX. I found a SUB MOA load for the 270 WSM with 150 Bergers pretty quickly.

I have a early model Kimber Montana in 260 Rem with Leupold VX-2 2-7x33mm scope. Tips the scale at 6.25 lbs give or take.

It's a solid 1-MOA rifle and I'm very comfortable shooting deer out to 450 yards. Further than that I get a bit cautious on live animals. Part of that is the small scope but mostly it's me. It's a treat to carry all day and has become my standard rifle for backpack high elevation mule deer hunts, desert sheep hunts, pretty much anything that involves a big difficult hike.

Kimber makes a solid rifle in my opinion. One thing to watch is the magazine which is pretty short compared to some rifles. I handload and can't seat bullets very far out. Never a problem finding an accurate load but velocity sometimes suffers with heavy for caliber bullets. Never had problems with factory ammo feeding or anything. Just not able to get that last 75fps with heavies in my handloads.

How far to you want to shoot it? My money is on a tikka with an aftermarket carbon stock better suited for long range shooting. I have done this for under 1300. If you are not going to be shooting far the others you listed will work but they are more difficult to shoot at longer distances.

You also must consider that to cut weight the barrels get short so the more necked down the round is the more it will suffer velocity loss. So a 7mm-08 will lose more FPS per inch than a .308.
I have a custom 6.5 creed I was aiming for being as light as possible. It came in a bit to light at around 5lbs. Was very hard to shoot. So I added weight and 6-7 lbs ready to hunt is about as light as you will want unless keeping distance short. I also have a howa mini that is for under 300 yards. I have twisted cut down to 16" and heavy flute everything very light and easy to carry.

I hunted with a 5.5# all in 3006. It was a 19" barrel maple stocked custom my dad had built. This had a 2x7 leo with tally rings. Because it was built to his frame with a straight comb and some cast built into the stock it was not punishing. I shot a 6.5# 700 that was before the mountain series that flat out just sucked. The comb wasn't right for me and I had a purple cheek and a raspberry at my shoulder. What ever you buy that light make sure it fits you if it is above 308 in recoil level (without a brake).
Shooting lightweights really well will test your fundamentals. If they are not sound your targets will let you know. Having done load development for many "problem" lightweight rifles it is quite easy to screw up great groups because of a shooter error. Most of which are thought to be the soda straw barrel excuse falsely:D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.