Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

I have a Tikka T3x superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor and I really like it. Action is smooth and it shoots well. I have a load shooting the 124 grain Hammer Hunter at .25 MOA. Nice, lightweight rifle.

Last edited:
I have a Tikka T3x superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor and I really like it. Action is smooth and it shoots well. I have a load shooting the 124 grain Hammer Hunter at .15 MOA. Nice, lightweight rifle.

If you have a rifle shooting .15 moa you need to go clean up the benchrest circuit. I think maybe you meant one time you shot a smoking group? Custom benchrest 6PPCs will not agg in the 1s.

Interesting note with nearly every lightweight gun I have either purchased or built have had significant torque when fired.
My Kimber 8400 in 300WM torques to the left quite a lot, as does my 8400 in 338WM.
My 375 Weatherby on a Model 70 Classic Stainless action torques something stupid.

Cheers.

Have a Tikka T3x Superlite 300win bedded in a wildcat composite stock. No brake. Bare rifle is 5.5# with talleys and a z3 3-10x42 it's sits at 6.5#. It's realistically a 400 yard and in rifle. You REALLY got to hold on to this one . I actually use it for my Pennsylvania deer rifle, nice light for carrying all day or in a stand don't mind holding it all day, where I hunt it's typically 200 yards and closer, with the norm being 30-100 yard shots. The cartridge is a bit much but with so many hunters in the woods here I like to put them on the ground quick. It loves 180 partitions with h1000 and I'd say it's moa out to 200 then opens up as you get further out, recoil management is challenging off the bench but it's a fun gun to own. The action is slicker than snot.

What you get with the mountain ascent over the Montana is a fluted barrel and bolt and the rubber like texture to the stock. Also the mountain ascent rifles come with a break, Montana rifles do not. In a 280AI the weight difference is only 4 oz with the mountain ascent being lighter. The mountain ascent subalpine is a sharp looking rifle!
I had a mountain ascent 6.5 creedmoor and it was very accurate like all creedmoors but it did have a sharp recoil to it. Not painfully by any means just harder to controll. With practice and good fundamentals a guy could definitely learn to master the lightweights but they are not near as forgiving.

Last edited:
Have a Tikka T3x Superlite 300win bedded in a wildcat composite stock. No brake. Bare rifle is 5.5# with talleys and a z3 3-10x42 it's sits at 6.5#. It's realistically a 400 yard and in rifle. You REALLY got to hold on to this one . I actually use it for my Pennsylvania deer rifle, nice light for carrying all day or in a stand don't mind holding it all day, where I hunt it's typically 200 yards and closer, with the norm being 30-100 yard shots. The cartridge is a bit much but with so many hunters in the woods here I like to put them on the ground quick. It loves 180 partitions with h1000 and I'd say it's moa out to 200 then opens up as you get further out, recoil management is challenging off the bench but it's a fun gun to own. The action is slicker than snot.

does anybody know what a Tikka Superlite barreled action weighs? I love everything about the Tikka except the stock and lack of a threaded barrel. What carbon fiber stocks are available for Tikka? Does AG composites make one?

@rfurman24

does anybody know what a Tikka Superlite barreled action weighs? I love everything about the Tikka except the stock and lack of a threaded barrel. What carbon fiber stocks are available for Tikka? Does AG composites make one?

@rfurman24
My 24" 6.5 cm weighed 70 oz including bottom "metal" and mag.

not sure about AG proper but they make a Tikka stock for Mesa precision.

My 24" 6.5 cm weighed 70 oz including bottom "metal" and mag.

not sure about AG proper but they make a Tikka stock for Mesa precision.
Looks like the Altitude stock weighs 24oz - so all in I should be around 94oz (5lbs 14oz) and $1400. That sound right?

Weighs a little more than the mt ascent and fieldcraft, but is in the ball park cost wise - about the same as the FC and a little less than the Kimber.

I don't think Tikka makes a 280AI do they?

I have a Tikka 30-06 SL. I threw it in one of the Mesa stocks and put an X5 on top for my wife. Shooting off the bipod it was shooting clover leafs for me with factory ammo. (3 round groups) The wife took it out past 800 and was holding just under MOA for 4 shots.

I was never a big fan of the Tikka's. Just didn't like the feel. But for the price they sure shoot. They have a nice trigger and for $10 it gets even nicer. AG has their own Tikka stocks. They also make the stock for Mesa. Wildcat Composites makes lightweight stocks for the Tikka also.

Look at a used Cooper in a model 92 Backcountry. 280 Ackley. I say used because I dont think you could find one new on your budget. This is a really nice rifle that would hit you goals Great shooter

Look at a used Cooper in a model 92 Backcountry. 280 Ackley. I say used because I dont think you could find one new on your budget. This is a really nice rifle that would hit you goals Great shooter
I was looking at those - you think I can find a used one for $2k? Seems like it might be tough...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts