Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

I have a Kimber Pro Hunter in 7-08 that I purchased at Cabelas. Came with camo plastic stock with pillars, the free floated barrel is 22" and in desert tan Kim Pro 2 finish, with black Kimber brake. Also, come with detachable magazine. I outfitted it with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with Boone & Crocket reticle and it weighs 6.4 lbs. It has quickly become one of my favorites. It shoots well enough (Moa) out to 500 yards with Hornady 162 ELD-Xers right at 2750 ish and can tickle 2800 with R17. The rifle when I purchased it was new to Cabelas and under $1000. They also had the other Kimbers.

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

Caliber will probably be a 7mm08 or 280AI - but really up in the air right now.

I have a sub 6# - mine is Custom but - 6.5X 284

otherwise, if you have the Magazine Length - 280AI would B my choice - can Load down to 7X08 if you want less recoil, but hunting U'll never notice anything

I bought a 7mm-08 tikka lite for my now 13 year old son, and it is great to pack and shoot. With proper load work-up he is shooting sub .5 MOA groups. His seems to like 40 grains of Varget, 140 grain Berger hvld bullets, CCI 200 primers, coupled with trimmed and neck turned Winchester brass. He averages 2680 fps.

We went out just last week to make sure he felt comfortable out to 700 yards in preparation for the deer hunt. After verifying ranges, and shooting at those distances we decided we'd take our last shots of the day (we call it our "kill" shots and it's a one-n-done thing). He started at 500, and I joined in at 600 and 700 yards with my 26 Nosler. Here are the results:

500 yard shot he was approximately 2 inches to the right of the "bullseye". He dialed for a 5 mile an hour cross wind right to left.

600 yard shot, my impact shot was approximately 2 and 1/2 inches to the left, and his shot was the one that was approximately 1/2 an inch to the right and about 2 inches high. We both dialed for a 5 mile an hour wind right to left.

700 yard shot, he was approximately 4 inches to the left of "bullseye". I was approximately an inch to the right and 2 inches low. Again, we dialed for a 5 mile an hour cross wind, right to left.

Funny thing is I just happened to take these pics and sent them to my brother in Idaho. When I saw this post about the 7mm-08 tikka lite, I thought I'd better share.

Overall, as I mentioned above, I've been very pleased with the performance of his off the shelf 7mm-08 tikka lite.

Attachments

• 500 yds.jpg
    500 yds.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 170
  • 600 yds.jpg
    600 yds.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164
  • 700 yds.jpg
    700 yds.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
I bought a 7mm-08 tikka lite for my now 13 year old son, and it is great to pack and shoot. With proper load work-up he is shooting sub .5 MOA groups. His seems to like 40 grains of Varget, 140 grain Berger hvld bullets, CCI 200 primers, coupled with trimmed and neck turned Winchester brass. He averages 2680 fps.

We went out just last week to make sure he felt comfortable out to 700 yards in preparation for the deer hunt. After verifying ranges, and shooting at those distances we decided we'd take our last shots of the day (we call it our "kill" shots and it's a one-n-done thing). He started at 500, and I joined in at 600 and 700 yards with my 26 Nosler. Here are the results:

500 yard shot he was approximately 2 inches to the right of the "bullseye". He dialed for a 5 mile an hour cross wind right to left.

600 yard shot, my impact shot was approximately 2 and 1/2 inches to the left, and his shot was the one that was approximately 1/2 an inch to the right and about 2 inches high. We both dialed for a 5 mile an hour wind right to left.

700 yard shot, he was approximately 4 inches to the left of "bullseye". I was approximately an inch to the right and 2 inches low. Again, we dialed for a 5 mile an hour cross wind, right to left.

Funny thing is I just happened to take these pics and sent them to my brother in Idaho. When I saw this post about the 7mm-08 tikka lite, I thought I'd better share.

Overall, as I mentioned above, I've been very pleased with the performance of his off the shelf 7mm-08 tikka lite.

Oops, one thing I forgot to mention is that I did replace the original trigger spring with an after market spring that significantly cut down on the poundage required to activate the trigger. I believe his pull to release his trigger is approximately 1lb and 10 oz now.

Good question. I'm sure someone is selling one somewhere??? I do know I have this rifle and it will hit the criteria you have on your list. This is a great caliber and the .284 bullet has a lot of range.

I would take a look at the new Seekins Havak Element. 5.5 lbs. it only comes in 6.5 PRC currently but they also have a custom shop that can make whatever you can dream if that isn't your flavor. $2795 MSRP. They have some pretty amazing technology going on with their new action design to lighten the action.

Try a Ruger No.1 in 458 win mag. Light and powerful. Never owned one and will not! Shot one, two times. Once off my right shoulder and once off my left. After that I can now clap my hands behind my back with ease. After I got out of traction I sent it back to the girl I borrowed it from. It gave me a whole new appreciation for .22lr. :) That's my story and stick'n to it.

Last edited:
Love my Kimber Hunter Ultra-Light 22" Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor, shot over 5,000 rounds in factory barrel and now sports a new carbon fiber 28" Hardy's that still shoots single ragged holes at 100. Even tho a mild 6.5 CM in ultra light sub 6 pounds recoils like a 264 Win Mag.... so you need to learn to shoot all over again -
upload_2019-10-27_6-19-41.png
ultra-lights need tons of hugging to hold them true....your body weight becomes the necessary stabilizer. Once mastered ultra light hugs - Kimber's shoot sub MOA all day long.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-27_6-19-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-27_6-19-41.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 163
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.