Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

I have two Kimber Hunter rifles. One is a 6.5 Creedmoore, the other a 280AI. Nothing fancy. Both will shoot 1" 3-shot groups at 100 yds. You have to learn how to hold light rifles to get the accuracy. The 280AI can be a handful to those not used to recoil but it is my favorite rifle. I have several high dollar rifles but these Kimbers do the job.

a

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

Caliber will probably be a 7mm08 or 280AI - but really up in the air right now.

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

I have both the field craft and kimber and I have to say the field craft is an great gun my daughter has shot her first antelope buck, mule deer buck and bull elk with it all ready this year and she shoots sub MOA groups with it and she is only 12. It really is light and well built I really like this gun don't get me wrong the kimber is great but I really like this field craft!

I have both the field craft and kimber and I have to say the field craft is an great gun my daughter has shot her first antelope buck, mule deer buck and bull elk with it all ready this year and she shoots sub MOA groups with it and she is only 12. It really is light and well built I really like this gun don't get me wrong the kimber is great but I really like this field craft!
Which fieldcraft? 6.5 creedmoor?

1D3AD80B-FAF1-46DF-8F14-9088284B4AF3.jpeg
Kimber hunter in 308 here. Took out the gel filler in the stock and lost 1/2lb. Ti bolt knob, Talley ex lows, and a vx3i 2.5-8 with a #4 reticle. Dandy lightweight rifle

I just finished an Arizona Coues hunt with a 8 pound rifle (total weight scope ammo etc). Lots of hiking up and down rough country. I used to hunt with a much lighter rig, pencil thin barrel, carbon fiber stock and the lightest scope possible. That lighter rig was accurate on the range bench but out hunting it would throw shots if I did not get down on the gun just right. I find the heavier rifle easy enough to carry and it is easier to steady up. Both are in 270 WIN. Just my thought and experience with a light rifle.

Last edited:
Didn't barrett buy Forbes? Or is that just some fake news I picked up somewhere?

I don't think that's right. My understanding is this:
  1. Melvin Forbes of NULA (the father of light rifles) licensed his technology to Titan Machine to build a factory version of the NULA called the Forbes Rifle. Titan ran into trouble maintaining quality, Melvin Forbes backed away, and these rifles were only in production 2013-2015.
  2. In 2016 Melvin Forbes got together with Barrett to try again (licensing). This resulted in the Fieldcraft, which began shipping in 2017, I think.
  3. Melvin Forbes and NULA are still around and if you call, he'll likely answer the phone.
I own a Forbes Rifle in 7mm-08, it's 5.2 lbs, and shoots great (but does suffer from some fit/finish issues). I also own a Fieldcraft in 6mm Creedmoor, it's 5.2 lbs, it shoots great, and the fit/finish is great. I've always wanted to own a NULA, but if that's out of your price range (as it is mine), the Fieldcraft is a really good alternative choice. Good quality rifle. I've shot it at the range out to 600 yards from prone to test loads and confirm performance (I've also carried it in the field, but no shots have yet been that far). While shooting light rifles does take practice (like all shooting), you can absolutely use them effectively at longer ranges.

Cartridge choices are limited with the Fieldcraft, correct?

Edit: not as limited as I thought, the sport jumps into long action, but a 280ai would be nice in that rifle. 270win would do fine.

Last edited:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite

I bought a used .270 Fieldcraft. Put a Leupold on it. Three shots to sight it in at 2.5" high at 100. Put the next 3 into .80 inch with two touching. This is using factory 140 grain ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.