Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

Sometimes it is easier to keep in shape, not overeat and exercise a bit in summer, then you won't have a problem to carry 8lb rifle.

Common sense dictates that LIGHTER is better. Regardless of the hunter's conditioning - tho that should be a personal thing. Unless you are a flatland deer-stand hunter. Then carry a heavy rifle if you want. But - if you are going into the back country, mountainous terrain - a LIGHT rifle is BETTER. Ounces make pounds, and pounds make pain.

Have a 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro at 6 lbs. 3 oz. which is a short action.
But for a lighter rifle in a long action I'd look at the Barrett or Christensen Arms and Proof Research. The latter two have carbon fiber wrapped barrels to reduce weight.

Be careful rifles in th 5 pound range with carbon fiber stocks as those ultra light stocks may not be strong enough. The Browning X-Bolt Pro carbon fiber stock is a bit heavier B/C they used a heavier foam core for added strength.

Eric B.

Be careful rifles in th 5 pound range with carbon fiber stocks as those ultra light stocks may not be strong enough.

this is the first time I have heard this...did you draw this conclusion based on browning's decision to make a heavier stock, or have you had poor experiences with 5lb rifle stocks?

But for a lighter rifle in a long action I'd look at the Barrett or Christensen Arms and Proof Research. The latter two have carbon fiber wrapped barrels to reduce weight.

Be careful rifles in th 5 pound range with carbon fiber stocks as those ultra light stocks may not be strong enough. The Browning X-Bolt Pro carbon fiber stock is a bit heavier B/C they used a heavier foam core for added strength.

Eric B.

this is the first time I have heard this...did you draw this conclusion based on browning's decision to make a heavier stock, or have you had poor experiences with 5lb rifle stocks?

Maybe for the heavier calibers for the most part...?

Eric B.

Sounds like you have been reading the high volume rifle maker's websites:D....The truth is - it is a value perception issue. Melvin Forbes ( New Ultra Light Arms )has been making short action rifles in the Sub-5 lb. category for 30+ years. He builds the stocks using only Kevlar and Carbon Fiber. Always 16 oz. or less. But - there is a price tag associated with well thought out, lightweight, high quality fine accuracy rifles. Some folks just can't understand or maybe stomach that price point. It took me a number of years to come to grips with the reality that you generally get what you pay for when dealing with this level of rifle maker. I have a sub 6 lb. .300 WM in bound from him now.

I have a Browning Mountain Titanium in 7mm WSM. It weighs 5.5 lbs w/o scope. It is a joy to carry, and nice to shoot with 168 Bergers @ 2850 fps. I debated getting it in 7mm-08, but decided I might want to load up. I've never needed to. I've killed elk at 340 yards, deer, aoudad, and javelina, with the same load. Worked great on all. None moved more than 10 ft. and a lung shot even on javelina wasn't wasting much meat. Now that they are making better bullets for 6.5 and .270s, I'd be tempted to go with a smaller caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.