Longest Rifle Shot Ever Made

Two prairie dogs at 3650 on the same day on video. This is just one reason why we chose to learn our chambering method from Gordy. Here is a link to the article he wrote for Varmint Hunter Magazine. July 2008

http://www.gordysgunsmithshop.com/images/Two_Mile_Shooting.docx

He has it on video in his shop. Google it up. There is a bunch of info out there on it.

Some of those long shots on YouTube are shooting at 20 foot x20 foot targets and happy about it.

That was a cool read, i enjoyed it, and good lord 3600+ yards is so far beyond what most people realize. The fact they did it with a 338 is even more impressive to me.

Neither Kirby or Shawn have chimed in but that's normal as they are busy guys. But if you use the search in the top right corner and the term "338 Khan" or Kirby Allen you may get a lot of great information. Also try "338 Edge +P" or Shawn Carlock. I remember reading years ago a post by Kirby on the 338 Khan and some testing he and his brother did, also Shawn is always posting videos of ranges that are just stupid.

My shooting partner and I have pounded the prairie dog mound at 3600+ on numerous trips to south Dakota we just were never lucky enough to kill a dog at that distance. It takes about 10 seconds for the bullet to travel that far and as we all know dogs don't usually stand still for that long of time. We wrote a article here on LRH (Long Range Prairie Dog Hunting In South Dakota by Jesse Grove) that was our first trip out to try and break the record of 3125 yds. Our longest confirmed kill is 2218. We have improved our scope mounting system since those pics in the article. With the mounts we have now we can get to about 4500 yds when using a 300 wsm. We have been out 4 or 5 times to try but have not succeeded usually because of weather and we are only there for 3 days at a time, one year we didn't hardly get to shoot at all because of the weather hell the first day was so windy we went fishing instead because we could hide behind a big hill out of the wind.

That's some great shooting! 4500 is a long poke with a 300wsm.

~WS

Sorry we never shot 4500 yds the scope mount has enough elevation to allow us to shoot that far. For what its worth 3-3600 yds is all a wsm is good for. We shot at 3k and thought we killed one. So we drove as far as we could then we walked the last .6 mile and about 20 yds short of the mound was where my first shot landed there was a berger 210 laying in the dirt. You could see where it landed then it skidded about 30" and layed there. If it wasn't for the rifling you could have reloaded it.

Hitting a 12x12 or 20x20 square target isn't that impressive to me. Not saying it's easy or it's something that can be done on the first shot but it's still an awfully big target. I'd like to stretch one way out one day but I think I'd like to keep the target down to no bigger than a 24" square. If that means I can only go to 2000 yards or thereabouts than so be it. But trying to hit the side of a barn doesn't appeal to me

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.