Long Range Loads for 26" barreled .30-06

Did you pickup some Berger 185 VLD's and 7828 SSC?

Also, are you gonna AI your 700 LR before you shoot it?

My local store has finally been able to hang onto stuff lately. They now have Varget and H1000 in stock and it's staying on the shelves. Which is really nice. If they get more Bergers and some Alliant powders in, then they'll be stocked back up like they were before all this Obummer crap.

I did not get any 185s, I have four boxes of Sierra 190 SMKs and picked up a box of 208gr A-MAXs so will probably stick with them. Most likely will buy a few hundred more 208s for my .308 Norma and the .30-06 Long Range. I was really considering picking up a couple pounds of 7828SSC but already have three pounds of it and two pounds of regular 7828 so will wait a little and see if this stuff will work. If it works great in both the .308 Norma and '06 then I will stock up on it. The only powder I bought was a can of IMR 4350 for my .243 because we are down to a couple of pounds of it and Dad and I use it for a few other different cartridges.

I really thought about Ackley Improving that .30-06 but not sure if I am. I priced dies and the cost to rent a reamer and would have around $200 to rent the AI reamer and buy a Redding 3 die set, we already have an RCBS 3 die set for the '06 so will probably stick with it. If the rifle ever does get rechambered, then it'll probably have its bolt face opened up and my .308 Norma reamer run in it. Just don't see the 100-150fps gain worth $200+ when the 208s going 2650fps in a standard '06 will get me to 800yds effectively with a lot of energy remaining. Would be awesome to push that big 208 at 2750 with the AI but don't think I will do it. Besides, we already have a pile of standard .30-06s in the family so might as well jump on the bandwagon and get a Long Range '06.

I shoot 58.9 gr of R19 out of a 26" pipe. I use 150gr Barnes TSX. Because that is what my gun likes. Maybe I will try some bergers in it some day, but it shoots really well and is an awesome hunting rifle!

I think R19, R22, IMR or H 4350 will all be good choices. R22 is a little slow, I can't speak to it's efficiency because I believe it to be close to the limit. You will be able to tell if you have a chronograph.

I shoot 58.9 gr of R19 out of a 26" pipe. I use 150gr Barnes TSX. Because that is what my gun likes. Maybe I will try some bergers in it some day, but it shoots really well and is an awesome hunting rifle!

I think R19, R22, IMR or H 4350 will all be good choices. R22 is a little slow, I can't speak to it's efficiency because I believe it to be close to the limit. You will be able to tell if you have a chronograph.

Ya I have a chronograph and will be trying out 7828 which has a very close burn to RL-22 so hoping for top velocities out of the 26" barrel and the 208s. Also have some IMR 4350, H-4350, IMR 4831 and H-4831 to give a try if 7828 doesn't work out. Seems like RL-22 and IMR 7828 would be too slow, but the top velocities with the heavies in both .30-06 and .30-06 AI are being made with them.

I did not get any 185s, I have four boxes of Sierra 190 SMKs and picked up a box of 208gr A-MAXs so will probably stick with them. Most likely will buy a few hundred more 208s for my .308 Norma and the .30-06 Long Range. I was really considering picking up a couple pounds of 7828SSC but already have three pounds of it and two pounds of regular 7828 so will wait a little and see if this stuff will work. If it works great in both the .308 Norma and '06 then I will stock up on it. The only powder I bought was a can of IMR 4350 for my .243 because we are down to a couple of pounds of it and Dad and I use it for a few other different cartridges.

I really thought about Ackley Improving that .30-06 but not sure if I am. I priced dies and the cost to rent a reamer and would have around $200 to rent the AI reamer and buy a Redding 3 die set, we already have an RCBS 3 die set for the '06 so will probably stick with it. If the rifle ever does get rechambered, then it'll probably have its bolt face opened up and my .308 Norma reamer run in it. Just don't see the 100-150fps gain worth $200+ when the 208s going 2650fps in a standard '06 will get me to 800yds effectively with a lot of energy remaining. Would be awesome to push that big 208 at 2750 with the AI but don't think I will do it. Besides, we already have a pile of standard .30-06s in the family so might as well jump on the bandwagon and get a Long Range '06.

I use a set of Lee Deluxe 30-06 and use the neck die and seat die. Then you can just get an AI body die

I use a set of Lee Deluxe 30-06 and use the neck die and seat die. Then you can just get an AI body die

So if I was going to neck size for a .30-06 AI, I could just use my RCBS seating die and just have to buy a .30-06 AI neck sizing die?

So if I was going to neck size for a .30-06 AI, I could just use my RCBS seating die and just have to buy a .30-06 AI neck sizing die?
Here's the set I bought...From the place I bought mine from... And they're in stock.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0007684324/30-06_Improved_40%c2%b0_Deluxe_Die_Set_For_Bottleneck_Case

I think it would just be much easier to buy a complete set of .30-06 AI dies, that way you can keep the dies individualized to your rifle.

Here's the set I bought...From the place I bought mine from... And they're in stock.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0007684324/30-06_Improved_40%c2%b0_Deluxe_Die_Set_For_Bottleneck_Case

I think it would just be much easier to buy a complete set of .30-06 AI dies, that way you can keep the dies individualized to your rifle.

That is a good deal on those dies! I'm still debating whether to go AI or not. I love unique and less common rounds such as Ackleys, but not sure if I want to spend the $110 for the dies and another $50 to rent a reamer. Then go through all the hassle of fire forming to gain 100fps. The .30-06 Ackley is definitely an awesome looking round with its 40 degree shoulder and straight taper, but not sure if its worth it. Besides the plain old '06 has been getting it done for 108yrs and will last much longer, love Remington's choice to chamber their long range rifle in .30-06!

That is a good deal on those dies! I'm still debating whether to go AI or not. I love unique and less common rounds such as Ackleys, but not sure if I want to spend the $110 for the dies and another $50 to rent a reamer. Then go through all the hassle of fire forming to gain 100fps. The .30-06 Ackley is definitely an awesome looking round with its 40 degree shoulder and straight taper, but not sure if its worth it. Besides the plain old '06 has been getting it done for 108yrs and will last much longer, love Remington's choice to chamber their long range rifle in .30-06!
$50 to rent a reamer!!! Wow!

You can make one your own brand new reamer for twice that, and cut as many AI chambers as you want for free, for what you'd pay to ream 2 of them...

PTG Solid Pilot Chamber Finish Reamer 30-06 Springfield Ackley

You should gain more than 100 fps... Remember, mine should be reaching towards closing that 2900 fps gap... According to the QL it's around 2,870. I'm thinking I can get 2900 without too much more pressure.

I'm curious to know how fast your regular '06 can push the 185 VLD's with 7828 SSC without pressure signs, using Remington brass?

$50 to rent a reamer!!! Wow!

You can make one your own brand new reamer for twice that, and cut as many AI chambers as you want for free, for what you'd pay to ream 2 of them...

PTG Solid Pilot Chamber Finish Reamer 30-06 Springfield Ackley

You should gain more than 100 fps... Remember, mine should be reaching towards closing that 2900 fps gap... According to the QL it's around 2,870. I'm thinking I can get 2900 without too much more pressure.

I'm curious to know how fast your regular '06 can push the 185 VLD's with 7828 SSC without pressure signs, using Remington brass?

Well making a reamer isn't to easy haha, but you can buy one for around $120. I bought a PTG reamer for my .308 Norma Mag, just because the one that I rented didn't please me, my Dad, or my Uncle. Wasn't very sharp and looked a little rattled, sent it back got a refund and bought a brand new one. Now my chamber is perfect in the Norma and should give excellent accuracy with such great tolerances. That new PTG cut like a dream on the lathe and that Hart barrel with that chamber will be a shooter for sure!

I don't know what the '06 will do with 7828SSC and 185s. I haven't bought the rifle yet, waiting for school to end so I can get to work and make some money for some new toys this summer haha. First pay check will get me that .30-06 Long Range Remington so should have the rifle by mid-June, if I can find one in stock though. Seems the model chambered in '06 is tough to find. Going to put my new 4-16x44 HS-T on it and probably a standard Leupold one piece base with 30mm Leupold rings. Going to run Norma brass in it though. Weighed Norma vs Remington the other night for my Dad's '06 and the Norma was about 20grs lighter. The same charge of RL-19 came half way up the neck in the Remingtons and at the base of the neck in the Normas! And that charge was half a grain under Alliant's listed max! So the Normas have more case capacity and will be better suited for the 7828 SSC.

Actually you can just use regular 30-06if it's a Lee Collet Neck Sizer, same with a bullet seater . At this point I have been using the 30-06 neck sizer and bullet seater, at some point soon I will have to bump the shoulder with a AI sizer.

Here is some info on that, look down toward the bottom of the article concerning seating the bullets in an AI with a std. cartridge seater & then he discusses sizing the neck with a Lee Collet neck sizer. The nice thing about that is then you are automatically set up for the std. round too!
Beartooth Bullets > Tech Notes > Dies For The Ackley Improved Cartridges

Last edited:
Bump for a great thread in need of a revival.

Agree! Haha, I get payed tomorrow so will be scrounging around everywhere for a Remington 700 Long Range .30-06 to buy. Dug out my Dad's Forster/Bonanza 3-die set today and looking to get some more Norma '06 brass. Already have my scope and just waiting to find the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.