30-06 long range bullet

Nomad

Going sheep and elk hunt in high country very steep angles good chance of long range
shooting. Shooting a 30-06 and 165 or the 180gr bullet are the choices.
Which one would you select for both.

I have had really good luck with the 190gr JLK. I know it is a little heavier than what you listed but I think you will find the decrease in MV to not matter in the long run.

Have been using a 06 sense the early 60's mostly on mule deer and worked up loads using the Hornady 150 and 165 grain Spir Point. Have taken quite a few bucks and a few elk with those loads and they work well for deer and good for elk if you don't try to shoot to far. I'm now using the 180gr Accubond in that rifle and can actually shoot a better group with it and it's a better elk load.

In an accurate rifle either weight will do a good job if you keep them within their limits. The 180's carry a little better with more energy.

I have two 30.06.
An old browning bar with a leupold scope that use with bullets of 165 grains Sierra up to 300/350 meters and a reballed winchester pre 70 ( mauser action) with a Lothar Walter inox barrel 1:12 . I used the 165 graind, but in th epast year and now I used now only Sierra gameking 2160 SPBT at 824 meters/sec ( low velocity do not stabilize the bullet). ad it is accurate up to 600 meters and pheraps beyond
In Italy and in Ungarian last years I shooted 23 caprioli (like a white deer)and 3 daini (like a mule deer ). No one has done more than three steps..

Lorenzo

Like the thoughts of the higher BC of the 180's not sure of
the ranges going to be shot...........

gun)My best load for a 30-06 is the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I use a Fed 210 M Primer with 50 gr. IMR 4064. I keep the rounds mag length. It's consistent, and accurate. Works great on Deer sized game.

For heavier bullets I'll go to the 300 Win Mag. Hope this helps.

I just posted about Berger bullet and my 30-06 under bullet,barrels,ect. Take a look I had great results with 155gr. Berger vld's.

Over the years that I have hunted for deer or elk, I have found that the Hornady 165 gr, btsp works about the best. A lot flatter than the 180 grain bullets and the velocity is higher. But in the long run it dosen't matter for velocity or bullet weight as it is in shot placement. If you can't shoot from 200-300 yards then any thing past that you might be better off letting the animal walk away! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.