Long Range Loads for 26" barreled .30-06

That's awesome! I need to get ahold of Quickload. Thats some cool software.

Thanks again for all the help! I can't wait to chrono them to see how close Quickload is.

Hey Mud I was looking on here .25-06 Ackley Improved @ www.reloadersnest.com and if you scroll down to the Not Yet Verified Loads there's a guy who used IMR 7828 with a 115 Berger VLD and was getting amazing velocities out of a 26" barrel. He has four loads each with different charges, and the hotter loads yielded velocities in excess of 3600+ fps! Just figured this would give you another idea of how fast you might be going with your .25-06 Ackley.

Hey Mud I was looking on here .25-06 Ackley Improved @ www.reloadersnest.com and if you scroll down to the Not Yet Verified Loads there's a guy who used IMR 7828 with a 115 Berger VLD and was getting amazing velocities out of a 26" barrel. He has four loads each with different charges, and the hotter loads yielded velocities in excess of 3600+ fps! Just figured this would give you another idea of how fast you might be going with your .25-06 Ackley.

Sadly, that's where I had to get my load data from. I hate using unverified loads, so I started low and worked my way up now.

When quickload said 3,300 I was kind of shocked, but I will never know just how fast it's moving until I check with my MagnetoSpeed V2.

Sadly, that's where I had to get my load data from. I hate using unverified loads, so I started low and worked my way up now.

When quickload said 3,300 I was kind of shocked, but I will never know just how fast it's moving until I check with my MagnetoSpeed V2.

Oh man that's a bummer. I don't know why guys would lie about what their velocity is. I know every rifle is different, but 300fps is extreme, I can understand 50fps difference but not much more. You may luck out and your rifle shoots that load very fast. I know I was surprised when I first tested the load I use in my .270 Win. I have an older standard Model 700 ADL with 22" and when I first started really getting into reloading and long range shooting I worked up a load for it. I settled with 56grs of IMR 4831 and according to the manuals it should of gone around 2950fps with the 140gr I use but I managed to average just over 3000fps and they had 2" more barrel than me! This velocity isn't a fluke with the chrony either, my range card matches everything the ballistics program says. So you may luck out like I did and have a very good barrel and chamber that puts out those high velocities.

Hopefully...Only the MagnetoSpeed will tell.

3,300 is fine for me, as that saves barrel life. 3,600 would cook a barrel QUICK!

Hopefully...Only the MagnetoSpeed will tell.

3,300 is fine for me, as that saves barrel life. 3,600 would cook a barrel QUICK!

Ya I agree, 3300fps is still very fast for any non-magnum, especially when loaded with a good bullet such as the 115 for the .25-06 AI. That extra fps would surely fry that barrel fast! I can't even imagine what the copper fouling would be like, I know I wouldn't want to be scrubbing it out after firing a dozen rounds or so. Haha

Ya I agree, 3300fps is still very fast for any non-magnum, especially when loaded with a good bullet such as the 115 for the .25-06 AI. That extra fps would surely fry that barrel fast! I can't even imagine what the copper fouling would be like, I know I wouldn't want to be scrubbing it out after firing a dozen rounds or so. Haha

It's been hand-lapped by my smith. I've put probably a good 175 rounds down the pipe forming brass and getting the bulk of my ladder testing done. So far it's still nice and smooth. Hand-lapping with proper tools by a pro smith is a miracle cure. :D

Hi guys,

I didn't see this post until today, so I'll add my little bit and hope it helps.

I have to agree with Mudrunner about the .30-06AI, I built mine several years ago and It does very well.

The thing to remember about the .30-06 is that it is a very underrated cartridge and it is extremely useful. Whomever said that a shorter 22" bbl in a standard Rem 700 or other rifle was the optimum length was an idiot. You can and will gain 200fps with 4 inches of barrel, so that Rem 700 Long range in a .30-06 Springfield would be a really nice rifle.

However, you can with an Ackley, get 200 FPS faster in the 26"bbl.

I have 2 loads that I shoot out of my .30-06AI:

168g Berger VLD using H4350 and BR-2 primers at 3125fps (Verified 10 shot average.)

190g Berger VLD using H4350 and BR-2 primers at 2908fps (Verified 10 shot average.)

I have yet to shoot anything with the 190s, but will use them this fall, but the 168g Bergers have taken 4 muley bucks and 4 cow elk. The furthest muley was 489yds and the furthest cow was 525 yds.

I will simply hunt with nothing else. Properly loaded, and maybe mine is an exception, It will equal a 26" barreled .300 H&H mag, I've shot them side by side and approach a .300 win mag.

I use Military Lake City Match brass as the Basis for my loads, but as they get old, I'll be switching to Lapua Brass.

Hope this helps,

Dano

It's been hand-lapped by my smith. I've put probably a good 175 rounds down the pipe forming brass and getting the bulk of my ladder testing done. So far it's still nice and smooth. Hand-lapping with proper tools by a pro smith is a miracle cure. :D

Hand lapping is definitely nice! I was saying those 115s going 3600fps would be a nightmare to clean out of a barrel. The more you shoot and clean your barrel, the better it will get, just be smoother and more polished.

Bump for a good thread that I just saw for the first time today.

My experience w/ 30-06AI have been excellent, as has my experience w/ 7828ssc. My rifle (27" medium palma, melonited tube) shoots fine w/ H4350, faster w/ H4831SC, but best w/ 7828ssc. Plus it shoots fastest w/ 7828 (close to 2,900 fps w/ Berger 185 Juggernaught). I'm a believer.

I'm just now testing my fairly short-throated rig w/ heavies (208 AMAX, 210 Berger VLD, 215 Berger Hybred). So far it runs the 210 VLDs at roughly 2,775 fps. I'm not sure if that is better ballistics (meaning wind drift) than the 185 Juggernaughts at roughly 2,900 fps or not. If its not, then I'll stick w/ the juggernaughts.

The next tube gets a longer throat to set up for the 185 Juggs (rather than the 175 SMKs) so velocities may well improve just on that design change alone. With that change we'll see what happens with the velocities for the 200+ grain class pills.

Jeffvn

interesting read, I choose to go the standard 06 build , mauser action,Hart ss 1-10 tw,#5.5 conture,27.25 inch bbl, all sitting in a houge rubberized stock.

easiest velocity gains are made with longer bbls, figure 25 fps per inch tight bores will gain a couple of fps more ie ,27 28 fps.

ive not played with the heavy weights mentioned above , but have limited testing with smk-175 doing 2910 tmv. 168 smk-tmv 2965, 180 npt,tmv- 2860-2840 with 2 diff powders rl-22 and h4350.

don't have quickload that would be nice, maybe some day, am I happy you bettya!! baby.

gotta say I played with h4350 more then rl-22 , but hey rl-22 is incrediable powder.
just my 2 cents, regards and good loading jjmp:)

Well I had a very successful day at Cabelas yesterday! Traveled down to Wheeling to our nearest Cabelas with my cousin, Dad, and myself to go see if they had any thing in stock since their shelves were empty the last couple times we were there. First thing that was a great sign was their rifle bullet selection. Last time the whole isle was empty besides a few boxes of Berger 6mm 105gr VLDs, most guys around here don't know what they are, and a couple boxes of .22cal slugs, this was disappointing. Cabelas has always been our number one reloading supplier and to see them all dried up was a bummer, but yesterday was a different story! Everything from .204 all the way up was stocked! Of course, the first thing I looked for were some Hornady 208gr A-MAXs that I have been hunting for the last year, I found them! They only had one box left, but hopefully they'll be fully stocked up for next time.

The next great thing was their powder and primer shelf! It was loaded down with Winchester, Federal, Remington, and CCI primers, and a hundred or more pounds of IMR 4350, H1000, Benchmark, IMR 7828SSC, and a few others. I felt like a fat kid in a candy store, couldn't get over how stocked up they were. Looked around at the used gun racks and the Gun Library, then headed over to the new guns and optics. This is when I felt like my luck was endless haha. They had a brand new Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 on sale with the MOA reticle for... wait for it... $399! This was almost a $160 mark down! Of course I bought it! When I get the Remington 700 Long Range '06 this will be topping it for sure.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share my awesome Cabelas trip with you all and give an update to the Long Range .30-06 I'm planning on buying this summer. I looked at Cabelas for them, but mine didn't have any yet so will have to wait and see if they eventually get some in. Anyone know of a place selling the Long Range Model 700 in .30-06? I have seen them on Gunbroker but no where else, thanks.

Well I had a very successful day at Cabelas yesterday! Traveled down to Wheeling to our nearest Cabelas with my cousin, Dad, and myself to go see if they had any thing in stock since their shelves were empty the last couple times we were there. First thing that was a great sign was their rifle bullet selection. Last time the whole isle was empty besides a few boxes of Berger 6mm 105gr VLDs, most guys around here don't know what they are, and a couple boxes of .22cal slugs, this was disappointing. Cabelas has always been our number one reloading supplier and to see them all dried up was a bummer, but yesterday was a different story! Everything from .204 all the way up was stocked! Of course, the first thing I looked for were some Hornady 208gr A-MAXs that I have been hunting for the last year, I found them! They only had one box left, but hopefully they'll be fully stocked up for next time.

The next great thing was their powder and primer shelf! It was loaded down with Winchester, Federal, Remington, and CCI primers, and a hundred or more pounds of IMR 4350, H1000, Benchmark, IMR 7828SSC, and a few others. I felt like a fat kid in a candy store, couldn't get over how stocked up they were. Looked around at the used gun racks and the Gun Library, then headed over to the new guns and optics. This is when I felt like my luck was endless haha. They had a brand new Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 on sale with the MOA reticle for... wait for it... $399! This was almost a $160 mark down! Of course I bought it! When I get the Remington 700 Long Range '06 this will be topping it for sure.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share my awesome Cabelas trip with you all and give an update to the Long Range .30-06 I'm planning on buying this summer. I looked at Cabelas for them, but mine didn't have any yet so will have to wait and see if they eventually get some in. Anyone know of a place selling the Long Range Model 700 in .30-06? I have seen them on Gunbroker but no where else, thanks.

Did you pickup some Berger 185 VLD's and 7828 SSC?

Also, are you gonna AI your 700 LR before you shoot it?

My local store has finally been able to hang onto stuff lately. They now have Varget and H1000 in stock and it's staying on the shelves. Which is really nice. If they get more Bergers and some Alliant powders in, then they'll be stocked back up like they were before all this Obummer crap.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.