reduced loads for 30-06

Hi,
I use the hornady 90 gr XTP above 14 grains 5744 in a 7.5 swiss with very good results.

Due to the larger case a 30/06 would probably need something between 18 - 22 grains.
I think, yotes won't like that!

I have a neighbor kid who lost his dad last Feb. He was out hunting coyotes with his dads 30-06 and his mom told me when he fired it, it gave him a pretty good jolt. He is 12 yrs old. I was thinking of making him some reduced recoil loads using trail boss and 150gr interlocks I have. I've looked at the load data. What I'm looking for here is some experiences with hunting with reduced recoil loads like that. I'd like to help the kid hunt with his dad's rifle but not at the risk of safety or taking game cleanly.

First off good on you for helping this young man out. Shoot me a PM or email and I'll send you enough 125 BT's to load up for a few seasons.

I Only Use 4350,! For my nephew when he was 16 it was 55.0 Grns IMR 4350, 165 Grn bullett , win LR Primer! Nice Deer load !

I don't know if they still make the Speer Plinker, a half-jacketed bullet of .110 grains, If I recall correctly, but it might be a good place to start. Better selection than a cast bullet, which would make the bore dirty pretty quickly.
Hornady also makes a semi-jacketed (they call the short jacket) 110 gr 30 cal bullet. I use them in my M1 Carbine and never have a leading problem. Should work fine in the '06. Try using with BL-C(2), H4895. Benchmark or IMR 8208 XBR. All have low CUP pressure and a 110 gr bullet would also reduce the recoil. Get him started and use to the rifle, then you can move him up to bigger loads a little at a time.

Last edited:
I have a neighbor kid who lost his dad last Feb. He was out hunting coyotes with his dads 30-06 and his mom told me when he fired it, it gave him a pretty good jolt. He is 12 yrs old. I was thinking of making him some reduced recoil loads using trail boss and 150gr interlocks I have. I've looked at the load data. What I'm looking for here is some experiences with hunting with reduced recoil loads like that. I'd like to help the kid hunt with his dad's rifle but not at the risk of safety or taking game cleanly.
Try 15 gr of trail boss and a 150gr sierra soft point

To wv270wsm
I use TrailBoss in reduced 45 Colt loads. It's a real fluffy powder (looks like little cheerios) and fill a case up. I was using regular pistol powder but ther was such a minute ammount in that lasrge case I was worried about proper ignition. The TrailBoss solved that worry. Running a 200 gr bullet at around 600 fps works gerat for my CAS shooting.
By the way I am also a fan of the 270 WSM - love mine, Tikka T3

My daughter has a savage model 10 in 06. I put a sims recoil pad on it and developed a low recoil load using IMR 4064 with the 150 SST. Around 2670 FPS and it was devastating on her mule deer. Shot was at 60 yards, entry hole was 3" and the inside was mush. Went 20 feet with a massive blood trail. I started at the low end of the recommended powder range and found a very accurate load there. She loves it and shoots it really good.

My daughter has a savage model 10 in 06. I put a sims recoil pad on it and developed a low recoil load using IMR 4064 with the 150 SST. Around 2670 FPS and it was devastating on her mule deer. Shot was at 60 yards, entry hole was 3" and the inside was mush. Went 20 feet with a massive blood trail. I started at the low end of the recommended powder range and found a very accurate load there. She loves it and shoots it really good.
This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to hear. I also happen to have like 3 pounds of 4064, so that is even better. Thanks!

For general info to everyone who has chimed in. The young man is a pretty tall kid.I haven't seen the rifle and checked the length of pull on him. He shoots his .22 magnum quite a bit and is on the school archery team. I just get the feeling that that 06 is a bit more recoil than he is going to like for now. I suspect in a few years is won't be a big deal for him but by then he may have developed a flinch.

My thinking behind the 150's was so that he could hunt deer also but if the 125's will get it done also then it may be worth investigating.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

For general info to everyone who has chimed in. The young man is a pretty tall kid.I haven't seen the rifle and checked the length of pull on him. He shoots his .22 magnum quite a bit and is on the school archery team. I just get the feeling that that 06 is a bit more recoil than he is going to like for now. I suspect in a few years is won't be a big deal for him but by then he may have developed a flinch.

My thinking behind the 150's was so that he could hunt deer also but if the 125's will get it done also then it may be worth investigating.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.
God bless you for stepping up to the plate and adding a male figured in this young mans life. This is the time of his life that he needs a strong role model to learn how to become a man, not like some of the blasted snowflakes that are totally out of control!

Try 33-38 grs of H4895 with 125 BT or SST. Those are 60-70% of Hodgdons max charge of H4895. They shoot accurate and I ve found about 70% (38 grs) charge weight to usually shoot very well.

Good Luck and great job helping a young man out. I m sure using his 'Dads gun' will have special meaning for him.

Lot's of good ideas offered. Here's one more.

Missouri Bullets has a 165 grain cast bullet for 30-30 that is available with Hi-Tek bullet coating. One of those using a 30.06 cast bullet load from the Lyman book should work very well.

If the gun smacked him/scared him, he may need some careful coaching to get rid of his new found flinch...

He definitely doesn't need the discouragement of missing all the time at this point.

Vettepilot

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.