reduced loads for 30-06

1601994522332.png

Modify load for increased pressure for jacketed and the lighter bullets. I.e. a load for a 150-170 lead may work similar for a 125/130 jacketed

Sorry I didn't read the post well enough. I'd contact Hornady for a good accurate reduced recoil load for your bullets. It won't be the first time they've had such a request. And if you want to use the Nosler 125 gr BT's call Nosler. The old customer satisfaction rep clued me on the 125 gr Ballistic Tips for deer and recoil sensitive shooters. He's no longer there but I'm sure his info still is, and he's the kind of guy that gun writers used to call up. As a side note my neighbor used those 125 gr BT's in the South because they didn't want the bucks to run off to private lands. They called them "Killer Greens" and worked well in his 30-30 AI.

Go with a 110 gr class hunting bullet and use starting loads in Hodgdon, Western Powders or other data.

Anything close to 3000 fps will recoil about like a 243 Winchester.

Ammoguide.com also has a ton of loads for about any velociy one is interested in.

I have a neighbor kid who lost his dad last Feb. He was out hunting coyotes with his dads 30-06 and his mom told me when he fired it, it gave him a pretty good jolt. He is 12 yrs old. I was thinking of making him some reduced recoil loads using trail boss and 150gr interlocks I have. I've looked at the load data. What I'm looking for here is some experiences with hunting with reduced recoil loads like that. I'd like to help the kid hunt with his dad's rifle but not at the risk of safety or taking game cleanly.
Here's a link to a 150 gr BT using Trail Boss. It doesn't look like you'd even get close to a reliable expanding velocity. https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uplo...78.1555400555.1601981654-286881383.1595851516

I have a neighbor kid who lost his dad last Feb. He was out hunting coyotes with his dads 30-06 and his mom told me when he fired it, it gave him a pretty good jolt. He is 12 yrs old. I was thinking of making him some reduced recoil loads using trail boss and 150gr interlocks I have. I've looked at the load data. What I'm looking for here is some experiences with hunting with reduced recoil loads like that. I'd like to help the kid hunt with his dad's rifle but not at the risk of safety or taking game cleanly.
For coyotes and an '06 I would look at the 125 nosler bt

12-13 grains of Red Dot

The 140-grain Hornady Flex-Tip and a mid-forties load of 3031 should work pretty well. I loaded something similar for my brother 50 years ago and it worked just fine.

If not too much trouble, it would be a good idea to check the rifle's recoil pad. If it's something like a Limbsaver, and the gun is a reasonable fit for the youngster he'd be good to go.

I think you can go down to 120 grain bullets with the 30 .06 that should help out with recall as for accuracy and kill shots I can only recommend a lot of practice

I'd go with accurate 5744 and a 125 grain bullet of your choosing. I used to hunt fox with a Remington pump 30-06 an sierra 125's. It did a great job out to 200ish yards. Probably further, but that's as far as I ever needed to shoot. Half the fun was sneaking up to see how close I could get. BTW, I shoot reduced loads in 375 Ruger, using 44 grains of 5744 and a sierra 200 grain flat point. Velocity is about 2500ish, and accuracy is generally about 1 moa, with very mild recoil. In my pump 30-06, I was using W760, but that was more than 35 years ago, but them 125 sierra's shoot very accurate, but then again, 35 years ago, I had 20/20 vision and was a better shooter.

Hogdon has reduced load recommendations for both

I recently played with reduced velocity ammo in my .338 Wm,starting with Trail Boss and 200 grain Hornady flat point. The combination is comparable to the 30/06 and 150s for velocities,with full power loads,but I couldn't get much past 16-1700 FPS with Trail Boss. I went with H 4895 and had no problems reaching my target velocity (2100),and the recoil is still much lower than full power loads.I'm a big fan of the 125 Ballistic Tips in my 30/30 and 30 Herrett,and see good expansion at the lower velocities. Another factor to consider with a youngster is stock fit. A properly fitting stock with a soft pad helps a bunch.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.