Elk loads for 30/06

The 165 and 168 Barnes is the LAST bullets I will load for elk from an 06 trying to get 500 yards, been there, done that, did the tracking!!! If you get near the front shoulder you will see just enough penetration to break the shoulder but not enter the chest cavity, if you stay back you MAY have it open but it's not going to get their attention like you'd hope.
A 180gr cup and core bullet or bigger that is not bonded or copper or anything fancy works heaps better, you don't need a hard bullet at 06 velocities and it actually will back fire!! I'd be tempted to shoot the 215 Berger, I'm going to use them this year in my 308 because they have so much sectional density and they open well.

I am not sure what powder yet, but I usually start with the highest velocity and lowest pressure. Thank you.

This is some of the worst advise here
what do u suggest hairtrigger that he holds his 180s back to 2750fps and shoot at elk at 500yrds and break its shoulder and get no penatration into its vitals lose the animal and totally **** his guide off just wondering what u would do? (with all do respect)were talking about 500yrds don't forget

I would much rather be on the safe side. Why load a 30.06 hot when you could just buy a 300 win mag?
a 300 wm would make a better 500yrd elk cartridge but an 06 is what he's got I'm telling him my advice on what I can do with my 06 I can get my 06 to bust an elk @ 500 but I won't do it with a factory load or a conservative load from the manuals nowadays you're going to have to push the envolope a little to get it he might not have the money to go get a 300 he can get it done with 06

The 165 and 168 Barnes is the LAST bullets I will load for elk from an 06 trying to get 500 yards, been there, done that, did the tracking!!! If you get near the front shoulder you will see just enough penetration to break the shoulder but not enter the chest cavity, if you stay back you MAY have it open but it's not going to get their attention like you'd hope.
A 180gr cup and core bullet or bigger that is not bonded or copper or anything fancy works heaps better, you don't need a hard bullet at 06 velocities and it actually will back fire!! I'd be tempted to shoot the 215 Berger, I'm going to use them this year in my 308 because they have so much sectional density and they open well.

X2, If it is a 10 twist 06 I would be loading 215 Berger Hybrids.

Jeff

Thank you, this is what I need to know because I have never shot at anything as large as an elk. And I have been reloading my own ammo for years. 22/250,223,35rem,and 3 different hand guns,but I have never loaded 30/06, or for big game. I only was looking at the Barnes because it is so accurate in my 35rem. I have not had a chance to shoot anything with it yet.

a 300 wm would make a better 500yrd elk cartridge but an 06 is what he's got I'm telling him my advice on what I can do with my 06 I can get my 06 to bust an elk @ 500 but I won't do it with a factory load or a conservative load from the manuals nowadays you're going to have to push the envolope a little to get it he might not have the money to go get a 300 he can get it done with 06

About the 300 win mag, I am only 59 years old but some what disabled. Had two neck surgeries, I have two steel rods, 10 screws, and two plates in my neck and am eat up with arthritis. I don't think I can deal with the recoil.

the 300 does pack some recoil to much to take a chance of hurting your neck but know I'm a little worried about some of heavier stuff in 06 can give u pretty good kick hope it works out for you

the 300 does pack some recoil to much to take a chance of hurting your neck but know I'm a little worried about some of heavier stuff in 06 can give u pretty good kick hope it works out for you

Well I have lots of time to work up some loads and try different things. I know shot placement is more important than size. I want to start planing a elk hunt maybe in the next three years or so. however I know nothing about it or even how to get started.

Well I have lots of time to work up some loads and try different things. I know shot placement is more important than size. I want to start planing a elk hunt maybe in the next three years or so. however I know nothing about it or even how to get started.

A good place to start is to put in for preference points for Colorado. Colorado has a lot of Elk and several seasons

Bowhunting/Muzzleloader - draw only and preference points will get you drawn for out-of-state license eventually

1st Season - Draw only, public land needs more preference points than private land

2nd Season - Over the counter, meaning you can just go and buy the day before season, sell licenses at Wal-Mart or many sporting goods stores

3rd Season - Same as 2nd season

4th Season - Same as 1st season, draw only

In addition you can apply for preference points in Mule Deer and Antelope which are both draw only licenses

To get preference points you pay online or by mail, usually before April 1st, so February is a good time to do it. You can apply for a preference point only and not a license. Your money will be refunded by Colorado (all except minor app fees) a early summer.

Costs you a little but will greatly expand your choices.

Then start asking on forums and searching online for area to hunt. Private land is always better. Bummer to plan for a year, caravan out with buddies to some remote camping area and wake up opening day to find another camp of 10 guys from Chicago 200yds away (public land). Also a bummer to hike back into an overlook on public land, sit down to glass and spot orange vests on other overlooks of the same area (don't ask me how I know). Generally you will have to pay a "trespass fee" to hunt on private land but most of time well worth it.

When I first started hunting Colorado I belonged to a "hunting club" with a membership fee but that placed you onto private land with a reservation. Sometimes good sometimes bad

Good luck

Can't any of you guys get any closer, this BS is getting out of hand. What ever happen to stalking like the archers, lets get of our assets.

Here is some personal experience...I was with a friend last year who shot a 4x5 bull with an 06. He was using the old 150 grain Remington core lokt bullets. Elk was right under 300 yards and he shot him slightly above mid shoulder but behind the shoulder. Elk dropped and flopped around for a few seconds and died. Bullet was mushroomed up completely and was under the skin and a little meat on the other side. I personally would have used a heavier bullet like a 180grn in the O6 but it does go to show Elk don't wear bullet proof jackets. Saying that I got rid of my 06 a few years ago to help fund my 300 ultra...But its for long range and I expect to use it that way as well and I did go with a 210 grain berger. I think in all you have to look at your maximum shooting distance with the amount of energy the gun can produce and then look at what bullets will preform at that range, penetrate to or through the vitals, expand at the slow velocities, etc..etc..etc.. also solicit information from other's to try and see what there experience has been with the bullets you want to choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.