Elk loads for 30/06

Can't any of you guys get any closer, this BS is getting out of hand. What ever happen to stalking like the archers, lets get of our assets.

I kill some Deer up close every year, sometimes with a Bow or ML. When wanting to learn more about those weapons, I go to Archery Talk, Doug's message Board, etc.

However, when I want to learn more about long range shooting, I come to this site. I enjoy both styles & do as much of both as possible.

This is a long range site, just a reminder.

Can't any of you guys get any closer, this BS is getting out of hand. What ever happen to stalking like the archers, lets get of our assets.

rwk, give us some examples (pics please) of Elk you have killed up close during the rifle season when they are not bugling and will not come to a call

I have killed a couple of Elk only but have seen many. Never wounded one. IME Elk will bed in dark timber on slopes. I have sat and watched as a buddy tried to put a sneak on 3 bulls about 1/2 way down a dark timber slope. We spotted them from across the canyon. He didn't stand a chance! Never got more than a furry glimpse of them hightailing it out of there.

All of the successful hunts on our property in the hills have been through spotting them across canyons and making long shots or shooting them at first or last light in the fields. I prefer to hunt Elk like the game they are and not like Whitetails in the fields so I hunt the hills. You look for overlooks on the dry slopes to glass into the dark timber slopes.

Last year I had a shot on opening morning at 618 yds across the canyon. Legal bull 5x5 but not a true trophy, opening morning and I did not take the shot. It would have taken a 2 hour walk or a noisy ride to get above him on the slope he was on and experience told me that he would be gone long before I got close to him.

So before you disrespect our BS perhaps you should explain how you do it and, more importantly, how successful you are at it

gun)
your on the wrong website this a LONG RANGE HUNTING site there is some pretty good bowhunting sites on the web there might be some instructions on making a homemade spear on the web also

gun)your on the wrong website this a LONG RANGE HUNTING site there is some pretty good bowhunting sites on the web there might be some instructions on making a homemade spear on the web also

Well I have been coming to this sight for a while now,but this is the first time I have been able to really talk to people. I have really enjoyed it and will have to search a little for the right bullet and powder. I was between the 06 or a 7mag. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I would guess that the 7rm,3006and the 300 wm are the most used cartridges used for elk (not in that particular order)the 7rm is a great elk round it has a little more kick than the 06 I would shoot both and see what u like keep in mind when you go with heavier 06 loads the recoil can aproach the 7mags recoil honestly I can't tell which is worse but I shoot 3and 1/2 in turkey loads regularly but with the problems you have with your neck you don't want your rifle to hurt you every time you shoot it cause it will cause you to flinch every time you shoot and when u just jogged up a mountain chasing a big bull you'll be out of breath , excited,and he's at 450 yards u don't want to flinch because the rifle hurts your neck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.