Lazz 7.21 (.284) Firebird 162-168gr to 1000Y

A question to ask if I may...

If a person was planing on hunting big game here in our Americas from 600 to 1000 lbs of Elk or Moose give or take the weigths along with Deer,,, sheep,,, antelope,,, would it be wize to choose such a cartridge...

Or would a standard cartridge work for these kind of harvests...

It depends on your perspective. You can drive a 1985 Honda Hatchback back and forth to work every day and get there on time with no issue. Or, you can buy a Dodge Demon and accomplish the same thing. Some folks just prefer a little extra "umph" under the hood on their drive to work.

A question to ask if I may...

If a person was planing on hunting big game here in our Americas from 600 to 1000 lbs of Elk or Moose give or take the weigths along with Deer,,, sheep,,, antelope,,, would it be wize to choose such a cartridge...

Or would a standard cartridge work for these kind of harvests...

You can't really make an animal too dead, but I have seen a couple messes where we wished we had a smaller cartridge available or had a different bullet. Both times we were driving to the mountain in elk season and ran into an antelope without a small bore gun. 7mm RM is way to much for an antelope. A bonded bullet would have helped out, but we had Bergers loaded. Both times it was horrible, both times we swore we would't do that again. Happened 15 years apart or so.

You can't really make an animal too dead, but I have seen a couple messes where we wished we had a smaller cartridge available or had a different bullet. Both times we were driving to the mountain in elk season and ran into an antelope without a small bore gun. 7mm RM is way to much for an antelope. A bonded bullet would have helped out, but we had Bergers loaded. Both times it was horrible, both times we swore we would't do that again. Happened 15 years apart or so.
Shot placement is the key here...once you're comfortable shooting up to a thousand yards, any 300 mag will do the job !

I really like their stocks, helps tame recoil, and has a good solid feel and fit when shouldered. Available from McMillan. I've got two of them. One is chambered in 300 Wby with the same Gary Schneider barrel Lazzeroni uses.

I am a big supporter of the Lazzeroni Warbird, aka Meat seeking missile! I finally had to switch out barrels to get a faster twist rate to shoot the heavies. I agree with John, all this new latest and greatest has been in my safe and dad's safe for years!!!! That's why I always tell people to get a Warbird... Barrel life isn't the top notch, that's why guys shoot 6.5 Creedmoor's, .223's and or .308... Practice with the little stuff and for hunting I use my Warbird. Yes I shoot it to ensure that it's dead on at 1,000 yards no problem. I don't take it to the range much because I want save the barrel life.

As far as performance, mine has been a tack driver with the ELD-X 212's at 3124 fps at sea level.

I do agree with the others that Brass cost is really high... I am getting about 7 firings out of my brass. I wish I could get more for less. I think this is why it hasn't caught on much John. It wasn't Hornady's idea or Federal or Nosler for that matter so your rounds haven't gotten the marketing hype like the crap Nosler stuff has. I do like the 300 PRC, but the 6.5 PRC... I was like, "My 6.5 SAUM smokes that!" This industry is interesting on what catches on and what doesn't. Get the right influencers and marketing behind it... it will catch on. Let's work on another good brass source and get the cost down to $2 and then we have us a winner...

Like I said, 7.82 Warbird for life! I even got my gunsmith hooked on it!

I must say that YOU GUYS KNOW YOUR STUFF! ,,, I have been away from this forum for a while and now that I am back, it is good to see it is still full of very knowledgeable long range shooters and hunters ,,,,,

Aside from the very world famous Lazz 7.82 (.308) Warbird caliber, what I am building a lot of lately are rifles in the big Lazz 9.53 (.375) Saturn caliber ,,, spitting out a simple 300gr Sierra SPBT at 3,079 fps ,,, with less than minute of angle accuracy to 1000 yards ((I have done this repeatedly myself at the 3-points range near Tucson)) ,,, and I CHALLENGE ANY 338 or 375 caliber to do this at 66,500 PSI ,,,,,

NONE of the RUMs will come close, NOR will the Lapua's ,,, the 378 WBY Mag is the ONLY cartridge that will run with the Big Lazz 375 with 300gr bullets ,,,,,

and what a piece of long range target equipment it is shooting 350gr Sierra HPBT Matchkings!

I must say that YOU GUYS KNOW YOUR STUFF! ,,, I have been away from this forum for a while and now that I am back, it is good to see it is still full of very knowledgeable long range shooters and hunters ,,,,,

Aside from the very world famous Lazz 7.82 (.308) Warbird caliber, what I am building a lot of lately are rifles in the big Lazz 9.53 (.375) Saturn caliber ,,, spitting out a simple 300gr Sierra SPBT at 3,079 fps ,,, with less than minute of angle accuracy to 1000 yards ((I have done this repeatedly myself at the 3-points range near Tucson)) ,,, and I CHALLENGE ANY 338 or 375 caliber to do this at 66,500 PSI ,,,,,

NONE of the RUMs will come close, NOR will the Lapua's ,,, the 378 WBY Mag is the ONLY cartridge that will run with the Big Lazz 375 with 300gr bullets ,,,,,

and what a piece of long range target equipment it is shooting 350gr Sierra HPBT Matchkings!

Can you post some pics of the round and load data? Sounds like I should ditch my .375 Cheytac idea

Yeah, let me try to attach a photo to this post that I think tells a pretty good story
9.53Sat300Y-TargetsMdSz11-19-2013.jpg

Velocity isn't as sexy as it used to be is as simple as I can put it. Making guesstimate 500 or 600 yard shots are no longer a thing. Laser rangefinders let you know how far the target is so the extra wiggle room in range estimation that 3800fps helps with isn't necessary. And beating up a barrel with that velocity and powder capacity is kinda contrary to the high training volume that has become more normal in preperation for taking long shots. Basically you are trying to sell horsepower to a torque crowd. Nice rifles though if speed really is what you are after.

If I'm going to be honest, I'm not really a fan of monster recoil. The way I shoot and the distances I shoot the .308, CMs, Dashers, etc. suit my needs perfectly. If I can hit steel consistently at 1k with a CM why would I need a monster magnum? If I wanted to go elk hunting I'll bring my .30-06.

Now, if money were no object and I wanted to impress my buddies and people at the range I would buy one of each of your rifles.

If I'm going to be honest, I'm not really a fan of monster recoil. The way I shoot and the distances I shoot the .308, CMs, Dashers, etc. suit my needs perfectly. If I can hit steel consistently at 1k with a CM why would I need a monster magnum? If I wanted to go elk hunting I'll bring my .30-06.

Now, if money were no object and I wanted to impress my buddies and people at the range I would buy one of each of your rifles.

That's very unamerican of you. Come step up your game. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.