810Y one-shot kill Lazz WARBIRD

Mike338 ,,,,,,,

I agree ,, but just remember that UNTIL the rifle and shooter ARE up to the task, all of the fancy ballistic solutions and scope mounted bullet drop compensators, do you NO GOOD ,,,,,

the original post, which is the subject of this thread, the 810Y shot on that beautiful coues deer I was lucky enough to shoot, that shot was made with a hold-over mil-dot scope, and a range finder ,,,,,,,

nothing else, no portable weather station, no handheld ballistics computer, no iPhone app ,,,, none of that ,,,,,

and the problem that I see today, is that all of these new shooters are led to believe that their iPhone app can solve everything along with the new scope adjsutment technologies ,,,, and that is just NOT the case ,,,,,

That was a beautiful Coues you got with a great shot and I agree that a great many sink their hopes and fortunes into gear that may or may not even contribute to their task. That said, the guys that are missing with the i-phone and dialing up the scope are just as apt to miss with a hold-over, assuming their rifle is up to the task. Modern bullets and hand-loading (with a generous amount of practice) greatly contribute to the likelihood of of placing your shot where you want it. Lots of guys these days are reliably stretching it out successfully on game. I can't find fault with what's working for you.

correct ,, and that is THE best point you have made ,,,,,,,

whatever each one of us is shooting, regardless of caliber, bullet BC, speed, blah, blah, blah ,,,,,, each individual shooter must use what works for them ,,,,,

and as I said at the beginning of this thread, my 810Y one shot kill on the Mexico coues deer was the longest shot that I have personally made in the field on a game animal ,,,,,,

I know there are a lot of shooters/hunters out there much better than I ,,,,,,, but those of us that have been at this game for a while fully realize just how far 810Y really is ,,,,,

shots at those distances at our precious game animals cannot be taken lightly,,,,

what is even more amazing to me, is that this particular Lazz Warbird rifle has never been re-barreled, has more than 1,300 shots thru it, and has a 1 in 14 twist rate ,,,,,

certain shooters on this board would call that a "silly twist rate", but it works very well with the 168gr HPBT Sierra bullets ,,,,,,

we are now learning of course that there are advantages to tighter twist rates and longer VLD bullets for long range shooting, but back when I built this rifle in the middle 90s, that is what was working ,,,,,,,

I WAS lying on the ground in the dirt and rocks when I made this shot, so that probably helped the accuracy quite a bit ,,,, lol

I can't afford the rifle or to shoot it but that's not a Lazz problem. That's a me problem.

Mike,

I saw your post and had to quote it. It is maybe my favorite post ever, as it has very broad context that applies to a lot of things on this forum and in our country in general. We all get pretty jaded to our little circle of existence, our opinions, our points of view, etc and measure everything else (often passionately) against it. for whatever reason your quote seemed to break through that in a really no BS kind of way.

I really liked it and thought I'd let you know.

FWIW I have a "me problem" in regard to owning a Lazz rifle as well...

I can understand all of that ,,,,, a $6,000 rifle is just not a drop in the bucket these days ,,,,,

this recession we are in is going on 6 years ,,,,,

the government is spending $$ faster than any of us can make it ,,,,,,

when I started my first business at age 22, all I had was 50 bucks ,,,,,,, and it took YEARS before I could even afford my first Weatherby Mark V ,,,,,

so it is OK for anyone to look at a Lazzeroni rifle as just being out of reach ,,,,,,

but when you DO get to a point in your life that you can afford one, you can be assured that it will be the very best that I know how to put together ,,,,,

I was going that very direction at one time, but then I had trouble getting the Berger 190gr VLD hunting bullet to shoot well at 300 yards at Lazz Warbird velocities ,,,,,,,

I just finished building a new Warbird rifle for myself with Schneider's 10 twist, 5-groove polygon barrel, and I am going to shoot the Bergers again to see if this improves ,,,,

Try shooting the OTM's or Tactical bullets with the thicker jacket and see if that improves things.

Line and Designs | Berger Bullets

It would be really nice to see some heavy for cal high BC bullets tuned up in a Lazz, in one Lazz post a Warbird with a 200 gr SPBT at 3250 was thought to be a good combo but honestly at a 1000 yards a 300 Win mag with a 215 Berger in the 3000 fps will be out performing it.
Bullet and powder technology has really allowed us to increase the performance and range, any more a chambering of the caliber of the Warbird I as a long range hunter would be looking at it as a 1000+ yard rifle and it's capability with a bullet like the Berger 230 OTM.
A 150gr bullet going ultra fast is of little to no interest but a 230 at 3000+ fps with excellent accuracy in the Lazz package, that will turn some heads around here!!

It would be really nice to see some heavy for cal high BC bullets tuned up in a Lazz, in one Lazz post a Warbird with a 200 gr SPBT at 3250 was thought to be a good combo but honestly at a 1000 yards a 300 Win mag with a 215 Berger in the 3000 fps will be out performing it.
Bullet and powder technology has really allowed us to increase the performance and range, any more a chambering of the caliber of the Warbird I as a long range hunter would be looking at it as a 1000+ yard rifle and it's capability with a bullet like the Berger 230 OTM.
A 150gr bullet going ultra fast is of little to no interest but a 230 at 3000+ fps with excellent accuracy in the Lazz package, that will turn some heads around here!!

A huge + 1

Jeff

Many good combos out there to try I am sure with .308" bullets in the 200-240gr weight range ,,,,,

MOST important of all, is which ones will turn in the best ACCURACY at 1,000 yards ,,,,, because without that, all of the other fancy ballistic numbers are just that, fancy ballistic numbers ,,,,,,

and this brings up another important question ,,,,,,,,

HOW MANY shooters on this forum, have a rifle chambered in the Lazz Warbird caliber, with a 10 or 9.5 twist barrel ? as that is where the ammo sales would come from, if I did in fact offer a factory load with a 200gr+ VLD type bullet ,,,,

I doubt it's the chambering that's holding many back but rather the quality or should I say perceived quality of the brass. At the asking price, just about anybody would expect the highest quality, most consistent tolerances and many reloads. For a person who wants to shoot a lot, that's a huge factor.

I doubt it's the chambering that's holding many back but rather the quality or should I say perceived quality of the brass. At the asking price, just about anybody would expect the highest quality, most consistent tolerances and many reloads. For a person who wants to shoot a lot, that's a huge factor.

Bingo... if you go to Midway and read the reviews on Warbird brass, the bad ones out number the good ones by 2 to 1. I'm not trying to flame, just stating the facts. If it were me trying to manufacture and market the Warbird, I would do everything I could to turn that perception around. I have heard the newer Hornady made brass is better than the origianl brass. If it's as good as my Hornady made 300 Dakota brass, then it is good stuff, not as good as Lapua, but good enough. I might even consider contracting Bertram to make it, like Shawn did with the EDGE. That would be on par with Lapua brass.

I would hesitate to offer J4 jacketed bullets as a commercial hunting round in a Warbird chambering. Although the 210 JLK or Berger would make excellent long range hunting bullets, I could see potential short range high velocity wrecks. There will no doubt be guys buying it that don't understand the parameters of those bullets. I am even a little hesitant of shooting a 230 Hybrid with thicker jacket out of the smaller 300 RUM at shorter distances where impact velocities would be greater than 3000 fps.

I would offer good load info for that combo as well as and especially the 230 gr bullets. Although the heavy Hybrids are good hunting bullets, the bullet maker has labeled them as "target" bullets, not recommended for hunting. So that puts the ammo maker in a bad position to offer such a combo as a hunting round.

Although I like the VLD's better, probably the 2 best all around short to long range hunting bullets best suited for "commercial" sales in the Warbird chambering would be the 200 gr Accubond and the 210 ABLR. They stabize in an 11 twist. One could offer the 230 Hybrids as a "general long range shooting round". I would do some short range high velocity testing with 210 ABLR before marketing that in a Warbird chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.