Lazz 308 patriot accuracy

big mike 2121

Anybody have one, How accurate is the load? both reloads and factory loaded. Ballistics look great, but I did notice the scope height at 2". How would this affect the numbers. Would only be used out to 500 yds or so.

Bike Mike ,,,,,,

the Lazzeroni Patriot is VERY accurate, and VERY fast for a short-magnum ,,,,,, ((fastest 300 short mag in the world to be exact)))

best powder is reloader 19, spittin the Sierra 168gr HPBT match, lubricate the bullets if possible and use the Fed 210M primer (not 215)) ,,,,,,,

The Patriot is awesome as John stated & as he said, it is capable of incredible accuracy. RL-19 is a very accurate powder for sure, but my personal findings show that RL-17 produces a substantial velocity increase. I've always used 215M primers, but John has talked me into trying my current load with the 210M's.

You won't be disappointed with the Patriot, it was a little difficult to get to feed properly, but we got'er done (started with a 308 action). The case is short enough to allow bullet seating w/o compromising powder capacity, but fat enough to retain maximum internal capacity.

All in all, a well thought out & extremely viable option.

PS- Brass is a little spendy but seems to last quite well.

Last edited:
Outlaw ,,,,,,

a good rule of thumb, is that when you lubricate a bullet properly with moly or NP3, you can drop back to a "slightly" faster powder for the same load, ((less of it of course)) to achieve the same velocity to pressure ratio, and generally get better SD numbers, and more consistent accuracy ,,,,

John, I wish I could help you with that one but I can't. I understand the concept of Moly for sure, but I don't know anything about NP3. With the velocity i'm seeing now with RL-17 & non-lubricated 168TTSX~3400fps. I'm not sure the gain would be worth it...maybe:D. I still intend to test the 210M, if I can reduce the SD & ES then i'll roll with them, if not, back to 'ol reliable.

I have no doubt lubricated bullets have the ability to create greater consistency. I just can't say, i've never used them.gun)

I had one of these rifles built by a well known PA gunsmith, really nice handy package. It didn't take any special skills to load 180 grain Nosler partitions to 3000 FPS (24") and I usually got them to shoot 3/4" five shot groups if I had a good "trigger day." Off I was to BC and Alberta for an elk then a muley hunt.

On the elk hunt the 180 grain Nosler Partition @ 3000 FPS did what you would expect it to do (2002 before Accubonds were proven in my mind) on an elk. But on the muley hunt I had a feeding issue on a needed follow up shot that caused me great effort to finally anchor that buck. The feed rails were also very sharp as I requested. So, that was the end of that caliber in that rifle.

The question was what could I do with a McMillan action built for the Patriot in a rifle I really liked? The answer was we chambered it for John's .338 Galaxy short mag with a 24" #2 Lilja; what a cool round! 2950 fps or so with the old 200 grain ballistic tips and a shade over 2600 fps with 250 grain partitions. Nosler is now showing 200 grain 338 Accubonds so that is what I will load up next. This rifle shoots easy 1/2" groups with the ballistic tips and I have a couple of 1" groups at 300 yards. It is a tad over 7 lbs with a Swarovski 3x12x50.

Sheep/moose hunting in the Yukon sure made me comfortable with a 338 in my hands in grizzly country. I took 210 partitions for that hunt. I have tried 100s of times to cycle that bolt in a way to cause the Galaxy cartridges to jam like the smaller diameter Patriot case did and it never has...

Very neat cartridge and now that John has quality brass hulls for loading, this equal to the venerable 338 Win Mag in a short magnum is a lot of fun just like the Patriot it originally was first.

Bike Mike ,,,,,,

the Lazzeroni Patriot is VERY accurate, and VERY fast for a short-magnum ,,,,,, ((fastest 300 short mag in the world to be exact)))

best powder is reloader 19, spittin the Sierra 168gr HPBT match, lubricate the bullets if possible and use the Fed 210M primer (not 215)) ,,,,,,,

With 1:11 twist 21.75" barrel Berger 168 VLD's and 210m primers what R 19 charge would you start ladder testing with for a Patriot?

My friend regularly shoots at the 1000 yd competitions at the Tucson Rifle Club west of Tucson. There is a guy there that shoots the Patriot for both light and heavy rifle matches (same rifle) and is very competitive winning many of the prizes. IIRC he is using the 210 VLD. Sorry can't tell you any more details about his rifle.

This should answer the accuracy question.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.