Just bought a new production Model 700 sps stainless 30-06.

Sounds to me like you have a good one if it shoots the ammo listed to 1 moa as is.

Like said above, a quality stock and new trigger are in order for serious improvements.

I add a brake to most anything these days if it's not suppressed.

Trying more and premium ammo or handloading would be next.

Best of luck with it.

Congratulations on your new rifle. As for improvements, … Depending on what kind of game you're shooting at … you could buy a top quality barrel in 25-06. 😁😁😁 it almost certainly would improve accuracy over a stock remington barrel. Just my 2 cents worth.

For many years Remington used worn out machines to build rifles and it began to show as tolerances opened up on many I have looked at but since opening back up,leaving New York and moving to Georgia and bought all new C&C machines they are putting out some good rifles now.
Yet! If people had used good gun safely practices they wouldn't have had that problem. Stupidity in the handling firearms is generally the problem with people getting hurt or killed.

I like Stockys stocks. Some can be had for a great price. Not sure why they aren't ever mentioned.

If you're referring to the inexpensive wood and wooden laminates, they are good stocks but do require a bit of DIY skills to make them really work well.

They're composite stocks are made by third parties and are generally good stuff.

In aftermarket stocks there's some great ones out there, some cost more than a high quality factory rifle.

I'm a fan of manners, ag and McMillan myself. But there's others at half the price which are great improvements over factory Tupperware.

Best of luck with the rifle op.

Yet! If people had used good gun safely practices they wouldn't have had that problem. Stupidity in the handling firearms is generally the problem with people getting hurt or killed.
Definitely in agreement with you on your comment. I have been around for 58 years a lot of it hunting and shooting with lots of different people. Served time as an SP in the U.S. Air Force. I never heard or have witnessed any of the Issues that supposedly happened to Remington 700 owners. Any rifle platform will kill an innocent person if a wannabe Gunsmith works on it, or they just perform an unsafe act! When I bought this rifle and cleaned it. and took it to the range, and when Lord willing take it bear hunting next fall, I will not give a second thought to it going off when I close the bolt with a live round in the pipe! When carrying it with the safety on through the woods I will always have it pointed the right way, but that is done with every firearm used. I honestly believed some of the comments before buying this gun. Being honest this gun feels like a safe well-made firearm! Only time will tell, I will definitely be in control of where it's pointed and if it's loaded. That would be and is the case with the rest of the guns in my cabinet. Maybe if, and I don't know because I didn't buy any recent bankruptcy era rifles made by Remington this was all the usual bring the big guy down bullcrap that sometimes happens in every competitive industry. Me personally, I never bought into the unsafe rumors of the Remington 700, I did believe the quality issues. The company is looking for a fresh start and I gave them a shot. In the past I have traded some high-end Savage, Ruger, and Winchester rifles that just wouldn't shoot. The Savage and the Ruger (110 and Hawkeye) respectively I had to send back for feeding and jamming issues! The Winchester was a beautiful looking firearm, but if your shooting softball size groups at 100 yards, it doesn't look so pretty at all. All I know for sure is in this rifle's brief history, I haven't given a thought of sending it back for anything!

For many years Remington used worn out machines to build rifles and it began to show as tolerances opened up on many I have looked at but since opening back up,leaving New York and moving to Georgia and bought all new C&C machines they are putting out some good rifles now.
The New CNC Machines were Installed When STILL in, NY and the latest Actions made, Before closing the Doors, were / are,.. VERY Precise !
Some, however have, Bolt lift, Extraction,.. "Timing issues" and,..
SADLY, the Engineers STILL Haven't, figured THAT, one issue, out !
It's a bit of, a PITA, to mail off the bolt, But, a reasonably, cheap Fix, tho !
GLAD to hear that, Remington is,.. "Back" !

Last edited:
I was told by an old school gunsmith that the actions on the new 700's with the serial # starting in RR were blue printed before they left the factory. Any one have any information on this ?
From what I understand these RR actions were made on cnc machinery and are supposed to be some of the straighter actions. I don't know that I would go as far as saying they're "blueprinted" from the factory. I would have to have more information and knowledge before I went that far.

I have a .223 Heavy Barrel Remington 700 RR actioned rifle made just before the bankruptcy. The lugs engage the action pretty uniformly, but I would not say the action is "blue printed". I discarded the tupperware stock, dropped it into a Magpul Hunter stock and installed a Timney trigger. It'll shoot 1/2-3/4 inch groups at 100 yards all day. I have thousands of rounds through it and no complaints so far.

Yes. Safe handling is always a must. However, the Remington trigger issue wasn't just about unsafe handling. It was about the gun going off when the bolt pushed forward and locked into place. Some people (me included) load their rifles once they get into hunting position. The rifle is pointed in a safe direction, but not expected to fire.
I have a friend who was preparing to clean his Rem 700 300 RUM in his garage. He cycled the bolt to unload the firearm. It discharged upon cycling the bolt. Because of the angle he was sitting at it went through the back side of his pickup, through the tailgate, through, the garage door, and into a brick wall. He was really lucky that is all it hit. I don't believe cycling the bolt in this manner is unsafe. However, with the old trigger, it certainly is unsafe. Not arguing with you, just trying to help people understand what the issue was. It was a really dangerous trigger. I still have one that wasn't fixed. It is Rem 700 in 257wby mag. But I don't shoot the gun anymore. I have a 25.06 that I hunt with mostly.

I have shot the rifle, and it will shoot about moa. I was just using blue box Federal and Remington coreloct ammo. The plastic stock doesn't seem to be very good. It does have quite a bit of snap with the 180 grain stuff. The rifle comes with a jeweled bolt and a Timney trigger from the factory. How would you guys make it a little better. It is good enough for my purpose now. With it the way it is I have to limit it to about 300 yards on my ability and what I am seeing.
I purchased the exact same rifle in 30.06 back in the fall. Mine has the 5R barrel but does not have the Timney trigger. Mine has the externally adjustable X-mark trigger. Another member suggested a trigger spring from Ernie the Gun Smith. I installed the trigger and it is a massive improvement. After the trigger spring installation it initially, had just a tiny bit of creep. But the creep has disappeared. It now has a clean crisp break. I do not have a trigger scale, but I would guestimate it is now a 3 to 3.5lb trigger. It will work great for my purposes which is primarily hunting. At some point, I plan on replacing the stock.

As far as ammo, mine shoots the Hornady Whitetail and Eldx very well. Here is a link to my targets: https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...on-centerfire-rifle-30-06.341384/post-2964714

For the price, so far I am very pleased. As you shoot it more let us know what you think.