Just bought a new production Model 700 sps stainless 30-06.

You are correct about the bore being filthy from the factory! I cleaned that thing for a good while! I finally sprayed it with bore scrubber (the foam stuff) and let it sit for an hour or so. I then went to scrubbing some more. Finally got clean patches when running through. I shot it at 100 yards with crappy Walmart ammo I had got off of my brother. Most groups were 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 or so. I did get one right at an inch. I definitely will look into moving into a better stock. I am not a reloader, so what suggested off the shelf ammo would do better in this gun. It has a 24-inch medium contour sport type it looks like. It's not a pencil sporter. I will definitely drop some oil in the trigger as you tried. Actually, it feels serviceable at this point. I live in Pennsylvania. I am just going to use the rifle for black bear hunting. I hunt around some large clear-cut areas and power lines. There are shot opportunities that could stretch out to 3 or 400 yards easily. There is also a lot off logging roads with 125-to-150-yard shots possible. If someday I want to hunt out west the 06 seemed like it would be capable of using for these types of hunts also.
A good factory ammo for my gun may work for your gun as well,Hornady.I have had great performance with them for deer and even killed bear with them 180 gr Interlock.The SST is the same bullet but the SST has more features.The first 9 elk I have killed in my life has been with Interlock 180 gr.
Nosler makes a good bullet as well,Ballistic tip for deer but for bear I would choose an Accubond bullet as it is bonded and way tougher than a Ballistic Tip.I have taken many deer with Remington Corelocks as well.I have not had the accuracy with Corelocks like I wanted for longer range but for 200 yards and under they work well.

Glad to see the Remington 700 is bouncing back and in the classic 30.06. For the distances you're shooting one MOA is fine. I've used the old tried and true Federal premium Nosler Partition in 165 or 180 grain with good success and would still be using them but my state now requires all copper bullets and I've gone to the Barnes 165 or 168 grain TSX or TTSX, I've had very good luck with these too, but every gun is different and you'll have to try to find what works best in yours. Spend your money on ammo and get as much shooting time in as you can and you're lucky, the 700 is so common if you're not happy with the trigger or the stock there's a lot of used ones posted all the time that'll fit that action.

I have shot the rifle, and it will shoot about moa. I was just using blue box Federal and Remington coreloct ammo. The plastic stock doesn't seem to be very good. It does have quite a bit of snap with the 180 grain stuff. The rifle comes with a jeweled bolt and a Timney trigger from the factory. How would you guys make it a little better. It is good enough for my purpose now. With it the way it is I have to limit it to about 300 yards on my ability and what I am seeing.
As with any rifle, you must find what it shoots well, especially factory ammo. Try Winchester Deer Season XP in 150g. They usually are ~$5 cheaper than other brands. If it shoots, buy more ammo with the same lot number until you have the funds to do the recommended upgrades.

6.5 CM deer season XP 3-shot at 200 yards.jpg

3-shot group at 200Y (125g Winchester Deer Season XP) out of my 6.5 CM.

1705237878502.jpeg

3-shot group at 200Y (150g Winchester Deer Season XP) out of my airman's .308 Win.

Good luck!

Hmmm…I have been shooting an old Remy 78 in 30-06 for many years. I adjust the trigger to 3 lbs and it has worked fine. With handloads almost everything I shoot is from 3/8-3/4". 110 grain at 1900 fps to 200 grain at 2,575 fps. It has taken grouse, rabbits, bobcat, coyote, PDs, turkey, whitetail and muleys, elk, and antelope. I think that's about all my grey matter can remember.
The old rifle has some rust spots and plenty of scratches (Me too). Came with a birch stock, but I put a cheap plastic stock on it long before all the nice fiberglass ones came out. Today it is my loaner and backup rifle.
I wouldn't mess with yours until you have put several boxes of factory loads down it to find out if it likes any.
Here are some of my more recent tests:
1705239023580.jpeg

1705239092543.jpeg

1705239140604.jpeg

1705239268896.jpeg

Hmmm…I have been shooting an old Remy 78 in 30-06 for many years. I adjust the trigger to 3 lbs and it has worked fine. With handloads almost everything I shoot is from 3/8-3/4". 110 grain at 1900 fps to 200 grain at 2,575 fps. It has taken grouse, rabbits, bobcat, coyote, PDs, turkey, whitetail and muleys, elk, and antelope. I think that's about all my grey matter can remember.
The old rifle has some rust spots and plenty of scratches (Me too). Came with a birch stock, but I put a cheap plastic stock on it long before all the nice fiberglass ones came out. Today it is my loaner and backup rifle.
I wouldn't mess with yours until you have put several boxes of factory loads down it to find out if it likes any.
Here are some of my more recent tests:
View attachment 532409

View attachment 532410
View attachment 532411
View attachment 532412

Thank you for sending the targets with your advice! I do think I will take it and put some more time in behind the rifle on the sandbags and see if some of it may be me. I didn't seem to get flyers just not as tight as I wanted. Plenty good enough to hunt with for my purpose though. I am one of those guys that does not have more $ than sense. Right now, I am recovering from my 3rd fusion surgery on my feet and ankles. I have ended up with a screwed-up mess called a Tripple Arthrodesis on both feet and ankles! I'll be a while coming back, probably won't be able to walk enough to shoot until May or so. I will get my wife to help me post some targets with results back to you guys then. I must say that I really like the rifle! it seems solid, and you seem to get a lot for the price. I paid 750$ for it new. I have read and heard so many bad things about Remington 700's over the years Like some I believed them. For me, I have had Ruger's, Savages, Winchesters, Tikkas, and others I own to this day. There is just something about the feel of this rifle that just seems very comfortable and solid!