I just bought a 28 Nosler ...

It's a Savage Ultra Light with the Proof Carbon wrapped barrel , just a hunting gun . I'm new to this caliber , but it seemed to check off a lot of boxes .
I have a Nikon Black FX1000 scope , but thinking maybe it needs a lighter scope . I also have an Accupoint 4x16 . I ordered ADT brass and RCBS dies , and have several different bullets . I'm thinking ELDX 180 to start with ? I have VLD 168's and Partition 160's , and ELDX 162's and 150's with RL25 and 19 , plus H4831SC . Of course I'll start low and work up , off several loading charts .
Anybody have any input on what might work bet ? Just trying to get a head of the game , I'm sure someone has this all figured out already .
Oh , and it's a 1 in 8.4 twist .
Oh part deux , it didn't come with a brake , what would you get for a brake ?
Thanks for any and all input .
Great choice for hunting, I've had a 28 since 2016. Since it's a 28 I'd go with the 180's and 190 bullets. Just got a load developed for the Berger 190 and wow. Just a word of advice don't shoot it hot, i keep my shot strings too only 3 in the summer and maybe 5 in the winter the barrel will last a lot longer. I'm currently running a Krieger barrel. Have fun it'll shoot a long ways very accurately!

I live about 50 miles from the nosler pro shop. The sell seconds on projectiles, if you are interested. And, I can check on brass, if ya want. It's fun to drop in there and see what they have from time to time.

The rifle will shoot differently with and without a brake, with a different point of impact also.

I run Gentry brakes on everything, 243 Win on up. I really like to see the bullet impact and the animal's reaction, especially in which way they run off. If the animal starts to move forward as you squeeze the trigger, you may hit them on the diaphragm or just behind. Not knowing which way they run is a very empty feeling, especially if there are many other deer tracks in the immediate area.

The rifle will shoot differently with and without a brake, with a different point of impact also.

I run Gentry brakes on everything, 243 Win on up. I really like to see the bullet impact and the animal's reaction, especially in which way they run off. If the animal starts to move forward as you squeeze the trigger, you may hit them on the diaphragm or just behind. Not knowing which way they run is a very empty feeling, especially if there are many other deer tracks in the immediate area.
Yes , but this thing is LOUD with the brake on , LOL .

When I am deer hunting, I always have a grunt call and a rattle bag, calling in bucks. I hunt out of deer climbers, ladder stands, and fixed box stands in trees.

Deer talk back and forth more than you would imagine. So, I wear Peltor tactical electronic ear muffs and I may hear 5x better than the average human. A ****ed-off buck May make all kinds of sounds including a snort wheeze when he is coming in. The bucks come exactly right to the tree that I am hunting out of, so watching my scent is critical, and anything that I have stepped in such as gasoline while pumping gas at the gas station....best put your hunting boots on when you get out of the truck.

At those shots right at dark, it is nice to know which direction the deer runs in the woods if he is not DRT which requires a muzzle break or shoot a small case/caliber.

Went does everyone think they need a brake. It's not a 505 Gibbs
I had Blackline Precision put my barrel on and had them put one of their muzzle brakes on it and it reduced the recoil down to a 243. I don't take it off.

Not what it was intended for, but I was curious what a mediocre shooter could do with it. No loading testing, just a reload based on the 28 Nosler Gunwerks load on not a great day to be shooting - but here's what it did (see pics). I feel the outlier was the fifth shot after two sighters fired before the 5 shots. Scope is MOA, 10 per rev.

Attachments

• 16637A25-1F26-406E-8955-3B451D5FC17F.jpeg
    16637A25-1F26-406E-8955-3B451D5FC17F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • E3C19947-1139-4619-971D-97464D858B9B.jpeg
    E3C19947-1139-4619-971D-97464D858B9B.jpeg
    806.3 KB · Views: 56