I just bought a 28 Nosler ...

Sounds like this all has been hit pretty well. I'll throw out the APA brake as one to consider. It made my 7mmRM shoot like a BB gun. I used a different brake on my 28 NOS for compatibility with a suppressor set up and regret not going with the APA.
I echo the last few posts... the lack of bullet and brass availability has me considering selling the 28. If anyone has any resources they are willing to share, it would sure be appreciated.

My chronograph reads a little slow but j"under 3500fps with 11 shots on a 24" barrel. The groups 2 in same hole and one touching and the other was a nice clover leave that measured .315. Only have 11 shot through the barrel so it might speed up a bit! Used adg brass also but had to do alittle prep work on them but liked!
mine, with a 26" barrel shoots 3560 with the 143 hh and n 570. I changes from Berger 195's. which were accurate but I was usually not getting an exit on game, a must for me in the thick bush in Africa. I change to the 143 hh on the advice of Steve at hammer and never looked back. have shot half a dozen big game at 350 to 509 yes. a blue wildabeast at 780 and a big zebra stallion at 1046 yards. all complete penetratiin and superb accuracy, about .25 to .4 moa

Sounds like this all has been hit pretty well. I'll throw out the APA brake as one to consider. It made my 7mmRM shoot like a BB gun. I used a different brake on my 28 NOS for compatibility with a suppressor set up and regret not going with the APA.
I echo the last few posts... the lack of bullet and brass availability has me considering selling the 28. If anyone has any resources they are willing to share, it would sure be appreciated.
I have found adg and pederson brass available in last 6 months by getting on their notify me list. also bought 16 lbs of n570 from Graf and sons the same way. patience grasshopper. lol.

Like others have said the US869 powder is not temp stable nor is the US872. I have a 7mm Allen Magnum, a buddy has the 28 Nosler. On an elk hunt I dialed in the 7mm AM with 872 out to 1400 yds. 5,500' elevation, 39°F ambient temp. When it came time to shoot the elk, the ambient temp was -8°F. Bullet impact was 2 MOA less than at 39°F. In the 7mm AM I couldn't get the fps with RL33, before seeing pressure signs, but I was able to mimic the fps from 872 with RL50.

The RL25 will be too fast for you to effectively use the heavier bullets. Go with a side port brake vs. a radial brake, the dirt bath isn't worth it. I learned by shooting a .22LR rifle indoors, wear hearing protection EVERY time you shoot, even for hunting or you will end up with hearing loss. I did have hearing loss in my left ear just from the .22LR. Brownells makes cloth earmuff pad covers, so your ears don't get all sweaty when wearing hearing protection for a long time or in hot weather. I use a set of electronic muffs when hunting; when target shooting a gun with a brake I wear ear plugs AND electronic muffs.

I got a 30 inch savage barrel large shank that pushes 180s a 3330 that I'm going to sale im going back to my 338 Excalibur so I can push the heavier bullets. The 28 nosler is a very good caliber and yes it needs a good brake even on a heavy rifle.

It's a Savage Ultra Light with the Proof Carbon wrapped barrel , just a hunting gun . I'm new to this caliber , but it seemed to check off a lot of boxes .
I have a Nikon Black FX1000 scope , but thinking maybe it needs a lighter scope . I also have an Accupoint 4x16 . I ordered ADT brass and RCBS dies , and have several different bullets . I'm thinking ELDX 180 to start with ? I have VLD 168's and Partition 160's , and ELDX 162's and 150's with RL25 and 19 , plus H4831SC . Of course I'll start low and work up , off several loading charts .
Anybody have any input on what might work bet ? Just trying to get a head of the game , I'm sure someone has this all figured out already .
Oh , and it's a 1 in 8.4 twist .
Oh part deux , it didn't come with a brake , what would you get for a brake ?
Thanks for any and all input .
I run a model 700 7mm stw which is real similar to that 28. I'd definitely recommend a brake, can't remember mine. Get some H1000 or R26 if you can find them and try some 166gr Atips. I've not pushed above the 168 mark since Mines a 1 in 9 twist. I've been iso brass for mine, bad as I hate to pay the Nosler price they are supposed to be better cases.

It's a Savage Ultra Light with the Proof Carbon wrapped barrel , just a hunting gun . I'm new to this caliber , but it seemed to check off a lot of boxes .
I have a Nikon Black FX1000 scope , but thinking maybe it needs a lighter scope . I also have an Accupoint 4x16 . I ordered ADT brass and RCBS dies , and have several different bullets . I'm thinking ELDX 180 to start with ? I have VLD 168's and Partition 160's , and ELDX 162's and 150's with RL25 and 19 , plus H4831SC . Of course I'll start low and work up , off several loading charts .
Anybody have any input on what might work bet ? Just trying to get a head of the game , I'm sure someone has this all figured out already .
I put an Area 419 Hellfire on my 28Nos and it has been exceptional. They seem to do better than most others at recoil mitigation.

If you ever switch to a suppressor, they make also adapters that go to many popular suppressors that will use their same barrel nut so you can easily go back and forth from suppressor to brake or even pack your suppressor in your pack off of your hunting rifle until you get set up, if you so desire.

I have been throughly impressed with their products.

Thank You !
Third time loading this brass but I aneal it every time . I suck at keeping good records of my loads and load for 7mm RM , .280 AI and the 28 N so it overwhelms me a little , the amount of data .
I can't find the N570 anymore but have 8 lbs of the RL25 so I'd like to stay with that . Kinda just want to one and done it , you know pick a bullet and stay with that load . Worried about the barrel life , a little . I have ELDX's in 150 , 162 , 175 and 180 , but thought these Partitions would be a better hunting bullet ? Do you agree ?
I would say my extreme distance would be 500 yards or less . I hope to get onto a 500 yard range tuesday and if the Partitions work well at that range I'll stay with them , probably .
Thanks for taking the time to reply , I will take all the help I can get .
Probably one of the best hunting bullets ever made hands down. H1000 is an extremely good powder out of the 28, hard to find.. Reloader 33, N560,N565 will work as well, typically way easier to find. N555 would be another great choice, haven't seen it where I am in 6 months…. Those powders are easier on throats.

I've had a 28 nosler for several years. It's an exceptional caliber so congrats on your choice.
I bought mine mainly for elk hunting. I'm not really a long range shooter but I wanted something that would shoot relatively flat for 300 plus yards. I see like me, other folks here reload the hammer hunter143 gn. I load mine with Retumbo also. I load mine to about 3400 fps. I have killed several deer and all but one fell were were hit. Always a pass thru with huge wounds.
Super deadly bullet/gun caliber.

Recent Posts