Just bought a new production Model 700 sps stainless 30-06.

sweetjim

I have shot the rifle, and it will shoot about moa. I was just using blue box Federal and Remington coreloct ammo. The plastic stock doesn't seem to be very good. It does have quite a bit of snap with the 180 grain stuff. The rifle comes with a jeweled bolt and a Timney trigger from the factory. How would you guys make it a little better. It is good enough for my purpose now. With it the way it is I have to limit it to about 300 yards on my ability and what I am seeing.

I have shot the rifle, and it will shoot about moa. I was just using blue box Federal and Remington coreloct ammo. The plastic stock doesn't seem to be very good. It does have quite a bit of snap with the 180 grain stuff. The rifle comes with a jeweled bolt and a Timney trigger from the factory. How would you guys make it a little better. It is good enough for my purpose now. With it the way it is I have to limit it to about 300 yards on my ability and what I am seeing.
A couple of things:
  • Check trigger pull and lighten it up to 2-2.5lbs
    • If it's a Timney, I assume that would be possible
    • *Only do it if it feels safe to you to do so
  • Replace factory stock with an H-S Precision Stock or maybe a GrayBoe
    • For H-S, I like the PSS134 or PSL134
    • The Grayboe "Hunting" line of stocks have caught my eye lately
I like Manners stocks but wanted to list "affordable" options. When a guy buys a Remington in 30-06, I assume they are frugal/practical. I am neither when it comes to firearms. :)

Last edited:
If it already has a Timney in it, then the trigger should be good to go.

If it's not planned to remain a bare-bones/loaner rifle, then upgrading the stock should give the most improvement. I consider Remington plastic stocks to be temporary, until something better is installed. In addition to HS Precision and GraeBoe, check out Bell & Carlson (for a bit less money than HS Precision).

I read that the trigger in the new 700's, even though a Timney is a non-adjustable model and is set around 4 lbs. Need new trigger if you want less than that.
Looked into it. That appears to be the case. Factory set and unadjustable. A article mentioned it's this trigger. The Timney "Impact 700."

IMG_0137.jpeg

Got one in 300 win mag but have not shot it yet.Barrel was extremely dirty!
Do not shoot yours without cleaning it first!It would just grind in all that dirt and grit.
I know someone that has the exact gun I bought and it shoots great.
There is a lube called "trigger lube" that when you remove the stock and put a drop on the trigger it reduces the pull.Mine went from 4.5 to 3.2 pound pull.Don't know how long it lasts but it really worked our the 2 rifles I tried it on.

Last edited:
Got one in 300 win mag but have not shot it yet.Barrel was extremely dirty!
Do not shoot yours without cleaning it first!It would just grind in all that dirt and grit.
I know someone that has the exact gun I bought and it shoots great.
There is a lube called "trigger lube" that when you remove the stock and put a drop on the trigger it reduces the pull.Mine went from 4.5 to 3.2 pound pull.Don't know how long it lasts but it really worked our the 2 rifles I tried it on.
You are correct about the bore being filthy from the factory! I cleaned that thing for a good while! I finally sprayed it with bore scrubber (the foam stuff) and let it sit for an hour or so. I then went to scrubbing some more. Finally got clean patches when running through. I shot it at 100 yards with crappy Walmart ammo I had got off of my brother. Most groups were 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 or so. I did get one right at an inch. I definitely will look into moving into a better stock. I am not a reloader, so what suggested off the shelf ammo would do better in this gun. It has a 24-inch medium contour sport type it looks like. It's not a pencil sporter. I will definitely drop some oil in the trigger as you tried. Actually, it feels serviceable at this point. I live in Pennsylvania. I am just going to use the rifle for black bear hunting. I hunt around some large clear-cut areas and power lines. There are shot opportunities that could stretch out to 3 or 400 yards easily. There is also a lot off logging roads with 125-to-150-yard shots possible. If someday I want to hunt out west the 06 seemed like it would be capable of using for these types of hunts also.

I always had the intention of putting mine in a chassis. One reason was to get a stiffer stock, the other reason was to use AICS style mags. So I put my ADL into a used KRG Bravo. You can use the original stock and watch some of the videos on youtube on how to bed and stiffen the stock. Or get a laminated stock from Boyds. Or get one of the various chassis that are on the market. A trigger can help but even though I'm used to 2lb triggers I shoot at and under 0.5 moa with my trigger. I wouldn't use oil on the trigger. I was taught at Remington's armorer's school to use cigarette lighter fluid to clean the trigger. It also leaves a very thin layer of oil residue that works well with their triggers. Oil was one of the reasons for the safety issues with their old triggers. I handload but hopefully you'll find a factory load that your rifle likes. Good luck!