Just bought a new production Model 700 sps stainless 30-06.

Hey cowboy.
Article below.
Who's at fault?
Gun or man?
Based article there not enough facts? Was this investigated? Was it determined that his finger was on the trigger? Give me all the facts and I will be happy to give you an answer.

Yeah, I don't get it. Millions of Americans keep firearms indoors all the time. Are you saying keeping your weapons loaded indoors is wrong or unsafe? Where was the negligence? Try to find a single instance where pushing a round into battery was ever determined to be negligence. Check with your law enforcement friends.
I'll tell you this. When I trained LEO's to clear a weapon that didn't need to chamber a round was a big NOGO. Say like the Rem 870 shotgun. You wouldn't train someone to clear it by cycling the pump to eject all the rounds. You train them to put the weapon on safe. Then clear the chamber and visually / physically check the chamber. And then work the latches to clear out the magazine tube. Finally you'd physically and visually check the chamber again and the mag tube. Done here.

This is an old issue. It is a man made mechanical device and they fail. Follow rule # 1 of gun safety and nothing like this happens either way. It was a real issue with triggers and Remington. I had one that fired the rifle by releasing the safety twice before it was replaced.

Thanks

Buck

I apologize to the OP for the BIG TIME hijack of this thread.

I'll tell you this. When I trained LEO's to clear a weapon that didn't need to chamber a round was a big NOGO. Say like the Rem 870 shotgun. You wouldn't train someone to clear it by cycling the pump to eject all the rounds. You train them to put the weapon on safe. Then clear the chamber and visually / physically check the chamber. And then work the latches to clear out the magazine tube. Finally you'd physically and visually check the chamber again and the mag tube. Done here.
Wow. Now we are onto Remington 870s. Really??? Nothing like a bolt model 700 rifle. It does not matter whether safety is engaged or not, it was not designed to fire when chambering a round. The rifle discharged when the round was placed into battery. It is not that hard to understand. I don't have an 870 pump. But I do have a Winchester pump and there is no way to clear the tube short of disassembly without working the slide. What does 870 an 870 have to do with a faulty Remington 700 trigger? Also, nice job using "NOGO" that sounds really official!!!

This is an old issue. It is a man made mechanical device and they fail. Follow rule # 1 of gun safety and nothing like this happens either way. It was a real issue with triggers and Remington. I had one that fired the rifle by releasing the safety twice before it was replaced.

Thanks

Buck
100% I am shocked at how few understand what the issue is. Every trigger that was not repaired is extremely dangerous. Part of the reason they declared bankruptcy is because the estimated potential liability from this was astronomical.

Wow. Now we are onto Remington 870s. Really??? Nothing like a bolt model 700 rifle. It does not matter whether safety is engaged or not, it was not designed to fire when chambering a round. The rifle discharged when the round was placed into battery. It is not that hard to understand. I don't have an 870 pump. But I do have a Winchester pump and there is no way to clear the tube short of disassembly without working the slide. What does 870 an 870 have to do with a faulty Remington 700 trigger? Also, nice job using "NOGO" that sounds really official!!!
If you read Remington's 700's user manual it will advise you on the proper way to unload the 700 series lol. It sounds like you've never been in the military or had LEO training.

The heck with it, here's some screen shots from the manual.
1706900570019.png

1706900630169.png

If you read Remington's 700's user manual it will advise you on the proper way to unload the 700 series lol. It sounds like you've never been in the military or had LEO training.
Oh my gosh....what difference does that make? Guess who has the most instances of negligence discharge....law enforcement. By itself moving the bolt into battery is not negligent.
Which rule does working the bolt violate? You just read another user who explained how simply moving safety could cause the gun to discharge. It is not the user's fault if the gun discharges when the bolt is moved into battery or the safety is toggled on or off. It is a manufacturing defect. They admitted it was a defect. Find a single ruling that says otherwise.

Oh my gosh....what difference does that make? Guess who has the most instances of negligence discharge....law enforcement. By itself moving the bolt into battery is not negligent.

Which rule does working the bolt violate? You just read another user who explained how simply moving safety could cause the gun to discharge. It is not the user's fault if the gun discharges when the bolt is moved into battery or the safety is toggled on or off. It is a manufacturing defect. They admitted it was a defect. Find a single ruling that says otherwise.
Sheesh I'd love to see your supporting data to your claims. The 1st Commandment outlined in the Rem user's manual says keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. And never point your muzzle at anything you don't intend to shoot. This includes innocent people, trucks, garage doors, and especially children. As far as unloading the rifle you should read it. It doesn't say cycling the bolt to feed the rounds into the chamber and then eject is their method to clear the 700. Quite the opposite.

Nowhere does it say working the bolt is improper or that it will cause the rifle to fire. Now you are imagining that people and children were involved. Where did that come from? The rifle sitting was on a bench in the garage. In preparation for being cleaned. No one else was remotely involved. Quit trying to imagine nonexistent facts to improve your illogical argument that it is not a manufacturer's defect when a gun discharges upon moving the bolt into battery. Again where is your evidence that moving the bolt into battery is itself negligent? Look at the definition of legal negligence and explain it to me. Quit using your imagination and stick to facts.