Judging wind speed?

BoomFlop

So I have a Revic BR4 coming to "replace" my ballistics app as well as provide an accurate range all in one unit.

This leaves wind. I understand using mirage with optics or even using my parallax on my ATACR to to look for mirage. I am debating on getting a Kestrel 1000 for wind only.

Thoughts, what do you do? This is primarily for hunting purposes. Although I practice, I want to make the best wind calm possible. Having a wind speed at my location may help determine wind speed at mid range and at the target.

Thoughts and thoughts on the Kestrel 1000?

Thanks
Steve

I have always kept a 1000 and a bottle of wind dust easily accessible in my pocket or bino case…..right next to my BR2….more recently, my BR4. The wind controls of the BR4 are brilliant! If mirage is present, IMO, it's perhaps one of most effective means of determining/confirming down range wind conditions. Good optics, understanding the process, and practice are a must.
While the newer tools available today make wind management easier, it continues to be the "Holy Grail" for LR hunting/shooting success.
561F714D-AC20-427D-842B-09EA65272E52.jpeg

Kestrel is much more accurate than guessing....
Although there is no substitute for trigger time....

I sometimes use a kestrel, mostly when pronghorn hunting in flat open plains, fields or softer rolling hills, in these cases a wind meter of some sort works pretty dang good, wind is usually more consistent in this terrain.

However when in mountains, shooting across valleys/canyons and other type terrain, they can be very misleading, not only in wind direction, but also in speed. I look entirely at mirage, floating particles in the air such as spider webs, vegetation or other debris, ground vegetation, bushes/trees, and as importantly, the contour of the land. I try to put all these observations together before figuring my dope and taking the shot.

This video by Shawn at Defensive edge does a great job at going over this subject, I watch it periodically as a refresher, then go out and practice it as often as possible. You very well may have seen it, but for anyone that hasn't, this is definitely a worth while 15 minute watch.

I sometimes use a kestrel, mostly when pronghorn hunting in flat open plains, fields or softer rolling hills, in these cases a wind meter of some sort works pretty dang good, wind is usually more consistent in this terrain.

However when in mountains, shooting across valleys/canyons and other type terrain, they can be very misleading, not only in wind direction, but also in speed. I look entirely at mirage, floating particles in the air such as spider webs, vegetation or other debris, ground vegetation, bushes/trees, and as importantly, the contour of the land. I try to put all these observations together before figuring my dope and taking the shot.

This video by Shawn at Defensive edge does a great job at going over this subject, I watch it periodically as a refresher, then go out and practice it as often as possible. You very well may have seen it, but for anyone that hasn't, this is definitely a worth while 15 minute watch.

I would not be qualified to take that shot.
And know no one who is.

While my ranges are shorter, generally in the 500-1200 range, Shawn's methodology has worked very well for me, particularly with antelope and coyote hunting where mid-day winds and uneven terrain are quite prevalent. In the off season I will do a lot of practice with my LR rimfires. While the factors and range are scaled down, ballistic solvers work, and the principles still apply. It's very convenient and low cost practice!

Great post there. Equipment is awesome, but experience in the field is priceless. New guys have to start somewhere though, and a kestrel certainly helps make things easier.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Any wind meter is fine to get a feel for speed at the shooter. You really need prevailing wind speed and direction and then determine how the terrain affects it. The video covers the challenges we face and the amount of time needed in the field to get it right. Wind is the devil in the details so a start is meter, doesn't have to be too fancy, and then build your wind knowledge in the field. Always figure there is wind, always figure there is vertical wind in mountain terrain.

Living and shooting in these Rocky mountains, I cannot agree more! Just on a 800-1,000yd target/animal, often, I have experienced 3 different wind directions and vels with up and down drafts.

Old adage applies...."Shoot the wind 'til it becomes your friend."