Judging wind speed?

Here in northern New England, basically the only way to shoot long range is from ridge to ridge, or mountain to mountain. When shooting over these valleys that wind swirls up or down and does all kinds of funky crap with projectiles. I use a kestrel to get a base line but 9 time out of 10 the wind is not blowing the same speed, or direction from your firing position.

I have always kept a 1000 and a bottle of wind dust easily accessible in my pocket or bino case…..right next to my BR2….more recently, my BR4. The wind controls of the BR4 are brilliant! If mirage is present, IMO, it's perhaps one of most effective means of determining/confirming down range wind conditions. Good optics, understanding the process, and practice are a must.
While the newer tools available today make wind management easier, it continues to be the "Holy Grail" for LR hunting/shooting success.
View attachment 382494
Thanks for the chart it will come in handy

@JustMe2

I have an inexpensive Caldwell that lasts about 5 minutes before the batteries die and don't turn on.

I figure I'd get the reliability of Kestrel and the 1000 provides the only data I need.

That is where I'm at right now

@JustMe2

I have an inexpensive Caldwell that lasts about 5 minutes before the batteries die and don't turn on.

I figure I'd get the reliability of Kestrel and the 1000 provides the only data I need.

That is where I'm at right now
Had a kestrel 1500nv for many many years. Gave it to a buddy and still going strong. Have a 5700 now to link to my Leica's. The kestrel stuff is hard to beat and a good choice. Also have those bt wind meters, weatherflo I believe, but don't use them. They were part of the sig kilo packs. Good idea but the kestrel gave me more intel so I just used it

The big reason I advocate for a kestrel with AB, is aerodynamic jump. Shooters need to see the effect of wind in the firing solutions are not only horizontal, but vertical as well.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Yup. My solution is applied ballistics on my phone, which does the same calculation. I have my phone anyway for use of on-x and my Garmin in-reach when I'm way far from phone service, so I also use it for my ballistic calibration. I then sometimes use my minimalistic kestrel (don't remember which model) for essentially just wind reading, but I don't always use it. I may one day get one with applied ballistics, just to have redundancies in my equipment in case something breaks down.

Yup. My solution is applied ballistics on my phone, which does the same calculation. I have my phone anyway for use of on-x and my Garmin in-reach when I'm way far from phone service, so I also use it for my ballistic calibration. I then sometimes use my minimalistic kestrel (don't remember which model) for essentially just wind reading, but I don't always use it. I may one day get one with applied ballistics, just to have redundancies in my equipment in case something breaks down.
If your phone dies or gets smoked it can be an issue but you can account for aj manually in a pinch. Use a short cut just like with horizontal wind. I rarley use the wind function of any app etc, just use a short cut in my head an apply.

How do you grab your temp and station pressure?
My phone has an internal pressure sensor. The iPhone's don't seem to have them, my wife's iphone with the same app doesn't have that option. However, my Samsung does. Temperature I usually just estimate and I'm pretty close, I try to use powders like H1000 and Retumbo so it doesn't make much difference if I'm off a few degrees for stuff out to 1000 or so. I may double check my temp estimation against my kestrel for shots 800+ if it has been setting out of my pocket or pack for long enough to stabilize, but I'm usually within 10 degrees or less of actual temperature with my guess, and from running the ballistics, if I'm inside 10 degrees with a more temp stable powder, even at 1200 it doesn't change my dope.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220727-145232_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_20220727-145232_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220727-145533_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_20220727-145533_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20220727-145539_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_20220727-145539_Applied Ballistics.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 26
If your phone dies or gets smoked it can be an issue but you can account for aj manually in a pinch. Use a short cut just like with horizontal wind. I rarley use the wind function of any app etc, just use a short cut in my head an apply.
Ya, I keep a printed range card of roughly the same conditions as I will be hunting in with me, and just plan on limiting my range some if I must refer to that. I have a small solar battery pack I take with me so my batteries don't die, it will charge my phone and Garmin like 15 times, more if I leave the charger in the sun to charge daily, and weighs less than a lb.

Ya, I keep a range card of roughly the same conditions as I will be hunting in with me, and just plan on limiting my range some if I must refer to that. I have a small solar battery pack I take with me so my batteries don't die, it will charge my phone and Garmin like 15 times, more if I leave the charger in the sun to charge daily, and weighs less than a lb.
Yeah you can do a lot with a little. I have 4 redundant systems on me and a solar. Plus you can sort of reticle range within 600 or less if you had to.

So I have a Revic BR4 coming to "replace" my ballistics app as well as provide an accurate range all in one unit.

This leaves wind. I understand using mirage with optics or even using my parallax on my ATACR to to look for mirage. I am debating on getting a Kestrel 1000 for wind only.

Thoughts, what do you do? This is primarily for hunting purposes. Although I practice, I want to make the best wind calm possible. Having a wind speed at my location may help determine wind speed at mid range and at the target.

Thoughts and thoughts on the Kestrel 1000?

Thanks
Steve
No matter which one you pick in the end it's going to come down to how much time you spend in the field practicing and learning how to judge wind, and a lot of times it will come down to the random elevation of a semi-precious piece of metal; when it comes to "wind calls".... Wind? reality gets a vote.
Good luck... Cheers.

Last edited:
So I have a Revic BR4 coming to "replace" my ballistics app as well as provide an accurate range all in one unit.

This leaves wind. I understand using mirage with optics or even using my parallax on my ATACR to to look for mirage. I am debating on getting a Kestrel 1000 for wind only.

Thoughts, what do you do? This is primarily for hunting purposes. Although I practice, I want to make the best wind calm possible. Having a wind speed at my location may help determine wind speed at mid range and at the target.

Thoughts and thoughts on the Kestrel 1000?

Thanks
Steve
I always carry my Kestrel. Why start guessing when you're trying to take a life.