Jim Zumbo's article against Long Range Hunting

Re: Jim Zumbo\'s article against Long Range Hunting

Zumbo has always been a bit holier then thou, a common trait umong many gun writers. All you have to do is go back over the years and see how many very good rifle rounds have been litereally KILLED by gunwriters who thought they were not worth a darn. The uneducated public read this, taking what these guys say as gospel and there you have it, good rounds die before they are ever given a chance.

Just goes to show the power these guys have over the uneducated public which unfortunately makes up a very large portion of the people the shoot and hunt.

When I hear a supposedly pro gun, pro hunting figurehead hammer certain firearms and dangerous and unneeded, it really begins to scare me. Make me wonder who got their hooks into mister Zumbo.

This sounds alot like the anti gunners saying there is no practical or sporting need for a 50 BMG rifle so lets just ban them. THen they will say we don't want to ban any other rifle except the 50 BMG so some think, well, thats fine, no need for those monster rifles, I do not own one so it will not effect me in any way so they set back and let it happen.

Then the anit-gunners get all pumped up because they got one down and then they try pass legislation that will ban all military cartridges. Many uneducated people see this and think, I do not have any military type rifles, if will not effect me in any way and set back and let it happen.

Only problem is that in the bill the wording says that any cartridge used by the military will not be able to be owned by civilians. Lets see what list that would include:

223 Rem
308 Win
30-06
300 Win Mag
338 Lapua
45-70
50 BMG
12 guage
9mm
40 S&W
45 ACP

And thats just the ones that have been used in major rolls in the US military. With one fail shoop, many of the most popular sporting chamberings would be illegal for civilian use.

Luckily, there are those that watch for things like this and raise holy hell when they come up and luckily so far no such bill has been passed into law, but they have been attemtped more then once.

If one of our supposed champions for our sport is saying its alright to get rid of a certain group of rifles, I have a feeling Zumbo has joined a team we have very little in common with.

Perhaps he predicts a woman president in '08 and is setting himself up for an extended carrer in politics with her clan.

I have never been a real fan of Zumbo or his writings but now instead of an annoyance, unfortuntely I feel he has become an enemy of our sport and it is now the time to make sure his carreer and his sounding board are taken away. Keep sending e-mails and letters, lets try to make that article the last one that is released from MR. Zumbo.

Take care and don't let this go. To many others will and it will pass in just weeks if we do not keep the fire on him and his sponsers.

Kirby Allen(50)

I got a reply from Tommy Millner of Remington, his email said "all ties with Mr. Zumbo have been severed. He is no longer a representative of this company."

I have read similar posts on other forums that he is being dropped like a bad habit.

Please write to [email protected] to voice your opinion

I'd like to add to the fact that the so called "expert" had no idea how popular the AR platform was for hunting/varminting/plinking/target shooting. What an idiot. Anyone who writes for mags should know whats what, hell I know there popular and I'm not a gun writer nor do I even own an AR. If and when I do, I wouldn't want to be known as a "terrorist" just because of the rifle I choose to shoot or hunt with. The guy is a plain moron IMO. He obviously had no idea how popular they were, that was his #1 and last mistake.

They took the blog offline as to sweep in under the rug and forget about. Too many times I've seen United Americas forget about something. If I can post one thing It is to not forget about our 2nd Amendment right. No matter the firearm no matter the caliber we all should stand together when it comes to our hobbies. Do not forget. It took something so small as a blog to wake us up. It was the large response that got my attention there are many of us and together we will win.

There are a few people that feel Mr Zumbo has apologized and he should be forgiven. I look at it like this, His comments will not go away, he is a major player in the "Hunting" world. Sooner or later the political debates concerning "Assault Rifles" will surface again. And you can bet your *** that the anti gun crowd will have his comments "Front and Center". They will have the words of a "well respected" outdoor writer and hunter associating AR's and other semi-autos with "Terrorists". This may be just enough to sway some "middle of the roaders" over to the anti side.

Roy , Roy , Roy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You said that so well and Mister Doug D has done so good on this issue that I just gonna go back to hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

So very many here have said so many good things regarding this " issue that and more than than that applied themselves to the problem that I feel all warm and fuzzy . I also stopped by his house on the way back from a hunting trip and let all the air out of his tires /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Way to go you all !!!

Jim B.

I just tried to find the address for my Dad and Outdoor Life has suspended the blog for now.

I am getting used to the uneducated, close-minded people thrashing long range hunting but I was surprised to see him take that stance on AR-15's. I thought he was on the side of the 2nd amendment but I was wrong. Since when did the Bill of Rights change it's wording from "arms" to "wood stocked, bolt action rifle in an acceptable, non-terrorist caliber"?

I don't own an AR and probably never will because I find them uncomfortable to shoot, but that doesn't mean they should not be enjoyed by other people who can shoot them. If they are black, so what? If they look mean, so what? I don't see where that even matters. A gun is a gun and they were meant for the people of a free state for the protection of the free state.

[ QUOTE ]
Statement from Outdoor Life
Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo's recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the "Hunting With Zumbo" blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to [email protected]

[/ QUOTE ] http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/statement_from_.html

[ QUOTE ]
Since when did the Bill of Rights change it's wording from "arms" to "wood stocked, bolt action rifle in an acceptable, non-terrorist caliber"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! I recently visited California. Where the Bill of Rights grants us the right to keep and bear arms, "in a locked case, with the ammo kept in a seperate part of your vehicle".

Supposedly this is to keep me from shooting the police officer who just wrote me a ticket for parking crooked at the park and ride. And to keep me from shooting the congenital idiot who just cut me off, forcing me to slam on my brakes and bruise the shoulders of all four of my horses.

And yet, in my home state of Utah I have managed to controll myself through all these things with my trusted, charming 686 close to hand. So, the only thing Californias misguided public has insured is I'll be defenseless in the event of a mugging, driveby shooting, robbery, carjacking, etc, etc........

Perhaps Zumbo needs to move to California where he'll fit in.

New twist to Zumbos LRH rant.....

To all,

Here is a bit more information you may find interesting about the blog Zumbo wrote about LRH.

I was sending contacts to my friends and customers about what he had said and one e-mailed me back and also called me last night in referrence to this paragraph by Zumbo:

"Then at the SCI convention last week, I talked to a guy who bragged that his custom gun kills deer out at 800 yards and better. To each his own, I suppose, but that isn't hunting. It's shooting. And I don't care how great a marksman you are. The risk of wounding an animal at extremely long ranges is high, and where's the sportsmanship, the ethics, the satisfaction of taking outrageously long shots? I understand there's a group in PA that shoots deer at 1,000 yards and more. More power to them. Just don't ask me to support that kind of "hunting."

My customer and actually old family friend, a man I have gone on many a hunting trips with and know very well e-mailed me the following before calling me:

" kirb
The guy he talked to at the sci was me we chatted
about guns and the fact that I had A custom gun built
for me that was capable of shooting deer at 800 yds in
the right conditions not that I had done it & I told
him so. I told him I had shot a deer at 602 yds on one
of our few windless days and with that gun it was very
doable with a good rest 'which I had.
I had no idea he would take it like he did but I'm
glad to know what he is really like. I kinda liked him
but I guess you never know. Anyway you build a hell of
a gun and I told him so. I guess he probably won't
order one though.

see you later

tony"

Then he called me on the phone and was very apologetic that Zumbo had taken their conversation and turned it into ammo against LR hunters. He said he never once said that he had ever shot a deer past 602 yards and only that he had practiced extensively out to a hair past 1000 yards and at that range in good conditions it was not hard to hit a paper plate size target consistantly.

Again, he wanted to stress that he never did brag at all about anything but that the rifle was a hell of a shooter and in fact stressed the point that only in ideal conditions should these shots be considers and that only with top end equipment and alot of range time is it practical to expect to hit your targets consistantly at long range but it is certainly practical with the right rifles and shooter and conditions.

The funny thing is that Tony, my friend and customer that Zumbo abused their conversation with to push his anti LR hunting agenda, Tony owns an archery proshop. He hunts 90% of the time with archery gear and takes the VAST majority of his big game with archery gear.

He wanted to get into the Long range shooting sport and asked me if I would build him a rifle so he could practice shooting at long range as hitting a target out to 800 yards really peeked his interest.

What I did was sell Tony my original 270 Allen Magnum which I rebarreled with a fluted #6, 30" Lilja. I know what this rifle would do before I rebarreled it and I took it out and range tested the rifle after rebarreling. She broke three for three clay pigeons at 880 yards on the range test so I know its a hell of a shooter.

I have also seen the groups Tony has shot with the rifle at 300, out to 800 yards.

My point, Zumbo took an innocent conversation which my friend struck up with him simply because he knew Zumbo was a rifle man and did not have any interest in archery equipment. He just wanted to basically give me a plug for the rifle as he thought Zumbo would be interested in a quality rifle story.

But instead, Zumbo talked to my friend, twice in fact, never once sharing his opinion against long range hunting but carrying on a conversation about it only to turn around and use that against my friend and also add things that are bald face lies about Tony saying the rifle has taken deer out to 800 yards.

SO if Zumbo is reading this which I am sure he is not, but just in case, no that rifle has not taken deer past 800 yards. It has however taken rockchucks with one shot kills at 998 yards, 1114 yards and 1248 yards. It has also taken two coyotes at 855 yards and 925 yards. It has also taken a trophy class mouflon ram at 610 yards.

Just wanted to give you all a little back ground on the conversation that actually spurred this blog article by Zumbo. To be blunt, its pretty much loosely based on fact and largely made up in the mind of this anti gun guy.

Nuff said, I think you get the point.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts