Boone an Crocket is against long range hunting

this ticks me off. I read an article and they stated they are against long range hunting. Im at a loss of words.

just skip to the last paragraph

Boone and Crockett Club | Long Range Shooting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting

I guess you missed the fun my friend, it was a heated exchange on their FB site when it 1st came out. :D

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/boone-crockett-stance-lrh-139548/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/boone-crocketts-latest-video-ethics-140011/

B&C have become a bunch of liberal, greenie weenies.

I bet you they support an "assault weapons" ban too.

why are they not against other technologies related to hunting? Sent blocking clothing? Rangefinders? Heck, centerfire weapons? That fact of the matter is that there are plenty of people that have made **** poor shots at 200 yards or less, either being from the lack of practice with a rifle, or not spending the time sighting it in properly. I would have to say that the long range community are of the most ethical of hunters, heck most of the time the animal is dead before it even hears a shot. It cant get any more ethical than that.

why are they not against other technologies related to hunting? Sent blocking clothing? Rangefinders? Heck, centerfire weapons? That fact of the matter is that there are plenty of people that have made **** poor shots at 200 yards or less, either being from the lack of practice with a rifle, or not spending the time sighting it in properly. I would have to say that the long range community are of the most ethical of hunters, heck most of the time the animal is dead before it even hears a shot. It cant get any more ethical than that.

lol solid points:D

B&C subscribe to a hunting philosophy that encourages the hunter to learn the natural habits of the prey and stalk to get as close as possible before taking the shot. It's commonly known as fair chase hunting. It's not heresy, it's just a different hunting philosophy.
Frankly, I enjoy the fair chase hunting experience. Surveying a hunting area a week or two ahead of opening day, identifying one or more animals that I think I'd like to hunt, learning their routine and then getting in close for a clean shot when the season opens is a great experience. I rely on long range hunting skills primarily for varmints. But I've taken a few deer and antelope at longer ranges when it's open country and moving in under 2 or 3 hundred yards isn't possible.
Let's give B&C a break here. They prefer the hunter purist approach. Casting aspersions upon their beliefs, or making inferences that are unsupported, is neither useful nor sportsmanlike.

B&C subscribe to a hunting philosophy that encourages the hunter to learn the natural habits of the prey and stalk to get as close as possible before taking the shot. It's commonly known as fair chase hunting. It's not heresy, it's just a different hunting philosophy.
Frankly, I enjoy the fair chase hunting experience. Surveying a hunting area a week or two ahead of opening day, identifying one or more animals that I think I'd like to hunt, learning their routine and then getting in close for a clean shot when the season opens is a great experience. I rely on long range hunting skills primarily for varmints. But I've taken a few deer and antelope at longer ranges when it's open country and moving in under 2 or 3 hundred yards isn't possible.
Let's give B&C a break here. They prefer the hunter purist approach. Casting aspersions upon their beliefs, or making inferences that are unsupported, is neither useful nor sportsmanlike.

I disagree. They are calling long range hunting unethical. There is nothing wrong with their method IMO. I'm sure most people here have no problme with their preferred methods. For them to say we are unethical is BS.

I sent them an email a few weeks ago and asked them to define "long range". They never responded.

I bet you if I had said I wanted to make a donation their would have been a response.

What FearNoWind said. In my opinion if you can't put the sneak on them you are not a true hunter. Anybody can set on a mountain side 1200 yds. away and pull the trigger.

What FearNoWind said. In my opinion if you can't put the sneak on them you are not a true hunter. Anybody can set on a mountain side 1200 yds. away and pull the trigger.

This is a negative blanket statement that is far from the truth. It has no place here. Take it to the local gun counter and have an inspiring conversation with other uneducated idiots.

Steve

This has no place here. If you're not part of the solution - you may part of the problem.

"In my opinion if you can't put the sneak on them you are not a true hunter"

Reminds me of a comment a fellow made to me one time when I was asked "at what distance is your longest shot on game" when I replied that I had taken quite a few bucks at ranges over 600 yards and his comeback was "Hell that's not fair...the game didn't know you were around!"

My reply was....."Yes sir....and that's the way I want them to be....don't even know I'm around!!"

I've hunted game/deer/elk now for 64 years...done it both ways...up close in timber and from ridge top to ridge top with no problems! Clint Eastwood defined it pretty well with "Every man should know his own limitations!"

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.