Article against LR Hunting

It's intersting how the author sounds low-key & reasonable...until the next to last paragraph: "Tell them that you think...."

Funny, I figured I'd make up MY OWN MIND about what I think!
tongue.gif

3 shots in a 6" ring at 100 yards off a bench? Now that proves who's ignorant. If I owned a 22lr that wouldn't do that, I'd throw it out in the pond, much less a centerfire rifle.

It's like the exaggeration you hear on the 6:00 news for sensationalizim.

Next he'll be recommending they don't publish group sizes in the magazines because someone would deduce they could shoot 4" groups at 400 yards because their rifle shoots 1" at 100 yards....
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

oh, but that would just be a big "hail mary"
rolleyes.gif

These guys are a fighting a loosing battle, that's just one of 'em cryin about it again.

My guess is, some LR hunter ****ed on his corn flakes by shooting his big bull from the far ridge while he was headed down through the brush, determined to get that ethical 100 yard shot. When low and behold... Boooom! Just as he's cussin his way through the brush, he looks up and stops. Whaap! He hears the bullet hit "his" bull. Who was the better hunter then? Well, way back when, it was the male that came back with the meat, and it's still that way too.

Most any preditor is cunning, stealthy, adaptable, and driven. Man is no different. Many preditors will wound prey, just to watch them wounded... before they ever kill them. Man is different, "most" all man I should say. Man is still driven to bring home the animal, he naturally doesn't risk that part with low odds shooting, hunting location, or method of getting close enough, or even following the kill too soon, and much more.

Man sometimes falls into one trap if he is desperate, and his nature may lead him instead of his brain, and that is he will do most anything he can if he knows his chances are dwindling fast, possible taking a shot that's not right, or too far that he might regret as soon as he does.

The drive to survive is in us all when it comes down to the wire, how we react may well determine how we are judged. Todays standards are just higher and higher, and increasing ones knowledge, ability and skill is still the logical solution.
smile.gif

not being in to it is one thing, but if i shoot deer in archery at 10 yards, then decide to dump one in rifle at 500, dont tell me that because i do LR i'm not ethical, or cant hunt. flintlock starts next week. if i'm such a ****** hunter, i wouldnt even get in to that stuff, and we'll see what the total count is at the end of that one.

its the classic- "i dont support it, so its wrong" theory. to each their own. they cant stop us, and we just keep proving them wrong. its like arguing with a democrat- common sense doesnt get thru.

-brian

Fellows, I have been putting up with people like this for many years now.

It all boils down to the fact that;

A. Their wife or girlfriend won't let them buy the equipment it takes to Longrange correctly.
B. They have no desire to put in the time it takes to practice the sport and understand it correctly.
C. If they can't do it, nobody can.
D. They have never seen it done correctly or they would "possibly" understand a bit better.
E. It's a finacial thing with most who make ignorant statements as that writer did.
F. Screw him and his thoughts on hunting.
We (LR hunters) will continue to cleanly kill at ranges these jokers would NEVER believe a bullet would travel.

Later
DC

Darryl

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> F. Screw him and his thoughts on hunting <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It must be sign of my advancing age, but I am taking this approach to those I disagree with far more often than I used to
smile.gif

Fergus

Me to Fergus.

I'm so tired of trying to justify a sport (LR Hunting) that has been very satisfying and successful to my friends and I for many years now.

Those who don't understand Longrange hunting, can't imagine a kill as far as we make them, say it can't be done, or say that's not hunting or it's not ethical---- I just don't have any time for a$$holes like that anymore.
I guess it's just old age kicking in for me.

I'll do my thing and they can do theirs.

Have a good one and hope to see you in the US this year.
Wish you could make it to our "World Open" at Williamsport. Would be glad to have you.

Take care and happy holidays to you and all.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 12-18-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl

I know how you feel on the hunting attitude. I am responding the same way more and more often.

I really hope to make it to one of the Williamsport shoots. Its not the lack of wanting that has kept me from being there.

Merry Christmas

Fergus

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts