How "long" is "long range"

What is long range?

• Total voters
Re: How "long" is "long range"

i think it varies personally, i consider longrange to be far enough that you dont have to worry too much about the quarry becoming aware of you so you've got loads of time to set up for the shot , however if you cant speak and your near enough to not worry too much about wind and range then thats probably normal range?

Never heard it put like that but, seems to make sense.

Well, In my opinion, long range depends greatly upon the person behind the rifle. I know many people that will not take a shot over 300 yards because it is simply too long distance for them. I also know many people that dont even consider a shot to be long range untill you hit the 600 yard mark or so. It all depends on the experience of the person behind the rifle. I would think that a good, general, description for a long range shot would be a shot that you have to take into account temp, elevation/baro readings, wind, angle, etc. to hit accurately, predictably, and repeatadly. Maybe im off base a little bit but that is what I am thinking.

i belive it is anything over 300 yards. Any normal hunting round is capeable of taking game under 300 and any normal shooter should be able to make a shoot inside of 300 yards. After 300 is when the variables start to kick in and it gets tricky and the normal hunter does not know how to make a shot at over that distance. Thats the reason i chose 300-500

Why can we not delete our own posts on this forum.

Last edited:

Long range for me is the maximum distance for the rifle/load in my hands that I am confident I can hit the vital zone and kill the animal when the bullet strikes. This spans from red squirrels at 100 yards with my 22LR, to 1000 yards on a deer/antelope with my 6.5x284. When the range starts to get around 400-500 yards with big game, unless conditions are such that I can observe the animal, and where it goes should it run when shot, I'm likely not to take the shot unless I have a spotter.

50 yards is long range when you are slinging diabolo lead out of compressed air weapons. 100 yards is extreme.

My humble opinion is this.... 'Long Range' is anything I can't see without artifical help.

In my case, long range is anything over 50 feet. I'm basically blind as a 'bat' without outside help......lightbulb

" How "long" is long range" ?

I think this changes as a dedicated shooter progresses in marksmanship skills, equipment, and knowledge.

Another rerason we need a ELR forum. "Dontblink" "Long Rangefreak" and the other guy that just took that Bull at 1480 yards with a one shot kill have a whole different concept of long range than a guy that just bought his first scope with target knobs. No disrespect intended, I still remember when I bought that first scope, and back then 500 yards was a looong ways.

Jeff

500 yards is still a loooong way when you are over 60, smoke a pack a day and are slightly overweight....like me.:D

500 yards is still a loooong way when you are over 60, smoke a pack a day and are slightly overweight....like me.:D

I'm well over 60 and enjoy tactical style target shooting to over 2000 yards but I don't shoot anything which is alive. I participate in this group for the long range shooting information, not the hunting aspects. My interest is in improving first shot accuracy at random distances and any conditions including the instrumentation and balllistics calculations to accomplish it. It's just a hobby.

I'd do the same if possible. I can't because of distance constraints. I do however, punch paper at shorter distances. Maximum for me is 100 yards. We just reduce the target diameter to 2" and it's ringed just like a normal target with the center scoring 10 and so on, of course less at a greater diameter.

If you want to sharpen your skills and lack the yardage, a 2" diameter target at 100 yards works well.....

Especially when competing against other shooters that can hit the 10 almost every time....

A 2" ring at 100 yards is pretty small.................:D

My hunting trips for deer. the farthest unobstructed shot is around 300 yards with most less than 50 yards. I even entered the poll for longest kill, but the opposite. I tagged a doe at 8 feet...... with a handgun.

I've had them come closer, so close in fact, that any movement on my part and I'd bump into them. You know you are close when you hear them breathing....

long as it pertains to shooting at game, is as long as we can see bullet hits and know whats going on. that can vary from day to day and location to location. that being within the limits of the cartridge of coarse.

its imperative to not only have the right equiptment and ability, but also a spotter with good optics watching whats going on. when he says i didnt see it, its time to fold it up and quit.
a good shooter with a good gun isnt enough on the longer shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.