Jim Zumbo

Re: Jim Zumbo - Piling On....

I don't know what he considers long range but I saw him about to take around a 400 yard shot on his TV show. he passed on the animal but not because of the range. I suppose to some degree this action would make him a hypocrite as well.

During a recent show, he took a second shot on a wounded caribou offhand, at what he said was 500 yards while it was walking fairly close to another caribou - not a very ethical shot and supports jmason's hypocrite claim.

Paul

Fiftydriver,

Can you tell me where to find the zumbo blog that he chose to trash long range hunting so that I can reference it when I send a note to swarovski and honda letting them know that I will not be supporting them in any way until they disassociate themselves with jim zumbo.

I guess that I will stay with my Leica rangefinder for the time being.

My customer that spoke to Zumbo sent me an e-mail with the link to it back when all this blew up in his face. I have since switched computers so I do not have that old e-mail any longer.

It was around the same date as his black gun rant so it would be around those dates if you can find those.

Gentlemen,

People do make mistakes, we all do. Jim Zumbo is no exception.

If we have the attitude that I read in this thread, we would not be

any better would we? Not only that, we would be feeding the

spirit that causes division amongst us.

JMHO, not disrespect meant to anyone here.

Gentlemen,

Eaglet, I disagree in regards to Jim Dumbo. He sells himself as an "expert" therefore there is "NO EXCUSE" for his calling an AR-15 a "terrorist" rifle that should be banned from the game fields. I could frogive a "newbee" of such, but not a man that has made his living from the shooting and hunting public.
That is not a mistake IMHO, that is his "view" and he is only "sorry" because of the repercussions

Gentlemen,

Turning on the people who buy the guns that keep your stupid little show on the air by calling them "terrorists" AND slamming longrange hunting is an inexcusable act in my book,you cant just say "oh **** I lost my sponsors im sorry,ill go shoot a pink AR(ugliest gun ever made)with Ted and things will be all better",screw him,we do not need a arrogant turn coat like him representing our lifestyle in the public eye.

Gentlemen,

As far as emotions go I agree with you, but Jim Zumbo being a representative of shooting sports in general I don't care for. It would be one thing had he opened his mouth, bashed one portion of the shooting sports and then tried to straighten it out. He didn't though he picked on two. I'm not saying I'd have been OK with just a single poor judgment call either. I just think he'll do it again given what he feels is a good opportunity to blow his hole again. My opinion is based on the fact that he spoke out twice now and nothing more. I'm no Zumbo or behavioral expert either. I personally wouldn't speak out against any individual portion of shooting sports, weather I like to participate in it or not. Most others here are probably in the same boat. Why put in jeopardy any portion of the shooting sports? I think his "sponsors" would be better served by choosing someone that can put their destructive views aside and represent the whole community, and not just the parts he personally likes.

My opinion here was not intended to upset anyone here:).

I sat behind him on a flight back from a bou hunt in 03.

I never saw a man have that much hair growing out of his ears. My wife would be pluckin that for sure.:D

Flipside, he was showed video of a couple of guys in our camp swimming to retrieve their bou. He defenitely wanted a copy of that. Dont know if it ever made the show or not.

Just to play Devil's advocate here,because of the comments of Mr. Zumbo and in no small part to

the election of our current Administration "Black Gun" sales have skyrocketed according to a local

gunshop. Could this have been the intent of the wily old goat? I don't know, but that has been the

result. Only my opinion here, but I think silence and apathy will kill our shooting sports long before

controversy will put a dent in them.

Add to that, History is on our side, from Billy Dixon in 1874 (1538 yards), Alvin York in WWI,

Carlos Hathcock (2500 yards) Rob Furlong (2770), to more than a few right here...... I don't

think the braying of one *** hurts us to much. Rather it gives us an opportunity to educate.

Just my.0002

I want to thank you all that replied to my post for the gentleness in your replies. I understand you positions and the anger felt. Still what are we going to do with:

"Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"

Mr. Zumbo acted in a way talking about the black guns and Long Range Shooting as an enemy would. So the above quote is applicable.

Again thank you for your gentleness and disagreeing with one another is a good thing as long as it's done in a respectful manner.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.