It’s causing me fits....thoughts?

My 15 year old son has a left handed Browning X Bolt hunter chambered 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36.

For the life of me I cannot get it to group all of a sudden.

I have tried the following:
- Took scope and Talley rings off and installed and torqued everything back down. Bases at 28 and rings at 17.
- Tried Hornady Superformance 139 gr. Interlock, Remington Core Lok 140 gr. and Nosler 120 gr.
- Shot off Caldwell The Rock with rear bag (what I normally use)
- Shot with a lead sled
- Paid close attention to amount of pressure into shoulder/sled. Made sure that as I applied more pressure the crosshair wasn't moving, etc.
- Cleaned Gun really good with bore guide and Dewey rod.

It is like I can't get it to zero. Shoot 2 shots 1.5" high and 1" right (.5" group), but the third shot is 4" high and 1" right. Okay, so maybe I didn't have the same back pressure on one, so I give it 4 clicks left. Next round shoots 1" left and 1.5" high, so I send another and it shoots into a .5" group, third shot goes 2" left and 4" high.

I'm at a loss?? I mean I just shot a .3" group with my 308 Win. My son cannot shoot a group either.

Please help!
Steve
Put the scope on another gun and shoot it! See what the results are...easy way to find out if its the scope....

Well, I believe this confirms it is a scope issue. 100 yards shot at a max power of 8. I'd say it's pretty decent. Less than an inch. Believe it could be even better if I wasn't a little rushed and with it snowing.

How is Leupold's warranty? Process?

Thanks everyone!
Steve
I have never liked a Leupold (no offense meant), I just never believed they were worth their money. I replaced my last Leupold (3-9x40 VX-II) with a Zeiss Conquest (3.5-10x44) and never looked back.

Well, I believe this confirms it is a scope issue. 100 yards shot at a max power of 8. I'd say it's pretty decent. Less than an inch. Believe it could be even better if I wasn't a little rushed and with it snowing.

Thanks everyone!
Steve

Steve,

I had good luck with Leupold (older) scopes. Our rifles have fairly substantial recoil and I had a Leupold go bad about 20 years ago. Leupold was "very" easy to work with.....they still have a lifetime warranty, I think! memtb

Thanks everyone!
Steve
Lifetime and no problems with them like I said sent two back this year

Lifetime and no problems with them like I said sent two back this year
So they are getting worse. What happened to your two? My uncle swore by Leuys, but I never seen it. I told him to get him a Tasco from Wal-Mart and I'd paint a Gold ring on it for him lol Man he would get mad :)

For the price they are now, even the VX-II, myself personally, I'd rather have the Zeiss.

But I suppose there are good and bad ones in every brand. I had a Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40 that I used as a load work scope. It helped me see my target better, and see the holes. It was used on a 325 WSM, 264 WM, two 7mm RM, two 300 WM, 338 WM, and some non magnums too. That scope is still dead on, and is on my old .264 WM.

I'm not saying they getting worse Where we hunt and how we hunt is hard on equipment a lot of top ride and dialing up and down and not to mention the dust
Well that is true. I guess like most do, I forgot to consider the ride and hike. That time it slips on the bark and falls over when you're taking a leak, or your little nephew wants to see it, and clothes lines the scope over the door facing.

As I said, I meant no offense to anyone.

Glad you found out what was going on,,, nothing like getting things sorted...

I would strap that optic on another rifle to confirm it's out to lunch,,, if it wouldn't hold on target with a proven second rifle,,,.I'd send it in for a work over...

Leopold is excellent with their warranty...

Cheers from the North

None was taken
While they where off getting repaired I bought a Kahles
So I did up grade
I've actually not heard of that one. Been wondering how the Vortex scopes are, and also been wondering about the Riton line.

Right now, I'm several years behind, just now trying my first Busnell Elite 4200. I swapped a small chainsaw for it, so I'm not hurting lol. It's a 6-24x50 Tactical, Mil-Dot reticle. I like it a lot so far!

I've actually not heard of that one. Been wondering how the Vortex scopes are, and also been wondering about the Riton line.

Right now, I'm several years behind, just now trying my first Busnell Elite 4200. I swapped a small chainsaw for it, so I'm not hurting lol. It's a 6-24x50 Tactical, Mil-Dot reticle. I like it a lot so far!
My grandpa would roll over in his grave it's German

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.