Convince me it’s better

pacowboy

I have a 30" benchrest 6.5 barrel that I took off of another gun that I'm going to rechamber. I have a Rem 700 accurized long action that I'm planning to put it on that has a .532 bolt face. My only two options I'm really considering are 264 Win Mag and the 6.5 PRC. Convince me the slower PRC is better than the Win Mag. I have several belted magnums and could careless about the belt. I don't worry about it when I'm reloading unless I start getting the bulge in front of it and that has been rare for me.

I have a 30" benchrest 6.5 barrel that I took off of another gun that I'm going to rechamber. I have a Rem 700 accurized long action that I'm planning to put it on that has a .532 bolt face. My only two options I'm really considering are 264 Win Mag and the 6.5 PRC. Convince me the slower PRC is better than the Win Mag. I have several belted magnums and could careless about the belt. I don't worry about it when I'm reloading unless I start getting the bulge in front of it and that has been rare for me.
Better is entirely subjective.

In the future brass for belted magnums will only become harder and more expensive to get.

The PRC should not be nearly as hard on barrels as the .264.

Ballistically you're within about 150fps so whatever you're shooting at isn't going to know the difference.

Now step that up to a 6.5-300PRC and you have a round superior to either of the above but if you enjoy shooting it too much will require more frequent barrel replacements.

Right now I shoot the 260 Rem and 6.5LRM and my next 6.5 will definitely be a 6.5-300PRC.

I'll keep the .260's for high volume shooting and baby the 6.5-300PRC to the extent I can stand to do so or I might even have the smith go ahead and chamber and finish 2 barrels for it from the get go and then put another on order every time I have to replace one.

Better is entirely subjective.

In the future brass for belted magnums will only become harder and more expensive to get.

The PRC should not be nearly as hard on barrels as the .264.

Ballistically you're within about 150fps so whatever you're shooting at isn't going to know the difference.

Now step that up to a 6.5-300PRC and you have a round superior to either of the above but if you enjoy shooting it too much will require more frequent barrel replacements.

Right now I shoot the 260 Rem and 6.5LRM and my next 6.5 will definitely be a 6.5-300PRC.

I'll keep the .260's for high volume shooting and baby the 6.5-300PRC to the extent I can stand to do so or I might even have the smith go ahead and chamber and finish 2 barrels for it from the get go and then put another on order every time I have to replace one.
Where can I get data for the 6.5-300 PRC. I do have dies for 6.5-300 Wby Wright Hoyer.

Where can I get data for the 6.5-300 PRC. I do have dies for 6.5-300 Wby Wright Hoyer.
It's a wildcat, there are several versions around though. I bet if you were to call Widdon, PT&G and/or Hornady and talk to their custom guys they have some reamer spec's drawn already.

In my verson I'm going to just neck down the 300PRC to 6.5 and maybe push the base of the neck forward slightly increasing the shoulder angle so I can maximize case capacity.

I'm still not completely settled on it yet and may just do the same with the parent case, the 375 Ruger since there have been no issues with it and extraction.

I've got a few months to ponder on it before going forward but I intend doing a 6.5, 7mm, and 338 all based off of the same cartridge with only a difference in neck size to separate them so I want to have it right.

The extraction issues that keep popping up with the 300PRC and 6.5PRC seem to be due to a reduction in case taper as much as anything so I want to dig into a bit further before spending my limited money on three relatively expensive projects.

What are your goals with the gun? Will this be a high volume shooter or low volume hunting rig? If you are looking for flat out velocity the 6.5-300 WWH will be your huckleberry Since you already have dies for it.

What are your goals with the gun? Will this be a high volume shooter or low volume hunting rig? If you are looking for flat out velocity the 6.5-300 WWH will be your huckleberry Since you already have dies for it.
Mostly hunting but I do like to go shoot some long range rocks and may make a trip to Williamsport once in a while for a just for fun competition shoot.

I opted for .264 WM over 6.5 PRC and 6.5 WSM. It boils down to your personal preference and intended purpose. It also depends on your firearms inventory ... well, sometimes. :)

Buy another bolt???