Help me pick a “big” 30 or convince me to keep what I have.

DTF370

Hey guys,

Over the last year I have dipped my toes in ELR shooting. I have been shooting a 338 Lapua AI. Honestly I have been pretty happy with it. I ended up selling that rifle. It was more of a budget/entry level rig and I want to build on a custom action. I did retain quite a bit (150 or so Lapua) of my once fireformed brass just in case I decide to stick with the cartridge.

As I am now in planning phase of my next rig, I'm hoping to do things right. I've always been told it's best to choose the bullet you want to shoot, then select the cartridge that would best drive the bullet, then build the rifle around the cartridge. With that method of thinking, I keep coming back to the .30 cal 250gr A-Tip and this is mainly due to the A-Tip consistency and the insanely high BC (.878/.442). The 230gr A-Tip is close as well. This has me considering something like a 300 Norma Improved.

This rifle will be for dual use. It will be for target shooting and occasional game. I don't anticipate climbing mountains with it. I'm young-ish and in shape, so hunting with a 15-20 lb rifle isn't a concern. I do desire to run it CIP mag fed, but it isn't a must. I want to keep barrel life in mind (not less than 1000 rounds). I hope to stay supersonic to around 2000 yards.

In my mind, some logical options are:

Stick with 338 LM AI w/ 300gr pills
300 Norma AI w/ 250gr range pills
30 Sherman w/ 230gr range pills

Or…?

Thank you guys in advance for input!

I feel the full size based cases on the 416 Rigby case are most desirable as long as you have an action that can handle 4.00" minimum on cartridge length. The Borden Big Foot action is perfect and you can run the 338XC without issue.
Personally, I run modified CZ 550 Safari Magnum actions for this using my own wildcats, 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° shoulder and 375-416 Rigby Improved 40° shoulder. If going shorter than 4.00", then the 300/338NMI is probably the best option.
In 30 cal, I had best performance with 230g pills for ELR, 250's lose too much velocity.

Cheers.

I am seriously considering a switch barrel for a Custom 7SS setup that I currently have. Optional barrels would be 300 SS or 338 SS.
Another possibility is switch barrel for custom 28N I have in 30 SM or 33 SM.

Call Robert at APR, he's been heavily engaged in ELR compition for years. He has 3 or 4 reamers in different throat lengths for the 30-28 nosler.

Imo it's a real sweet spot for driving a heavy bullet and not so over bore that your burning up barrels.

I'm building one now but in a sporter weight rifle.

I previously has a sammi spec 30 nosler which would her you there or very close and I'm sure the 300 prc / Sherman would as well.

The 300 norma ai would do you right as well.

2000 yards screams 338 improved ... they will run a 1000 rounds easy and probably the easiest to tune and huge nodes compared to any of the big 30's
bat HR action
Um DBM running their 3.950 internal mag box
Did you feel somewhat limited by the 3.950? In mine, I ended up single loading because a CIP length mag was too short from where my rifle liked. This has been my only real hesitation to stay with the 338 LMAI

I feel the full size based cases on the 416 Rigby case are most desirable as long as you have an action that can handle 4.00" minimum on cartridge length. The Borden Big Foot action is perfect and you can run the 338XC without issue.
Personally, I run modified CZ 550 Safari Magnum actions for this using my own wildcats, 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° shoulder and 375-416 Rigby Improved 40° shoulder. If going shorter than 4.00", then the 300/338NMI is probably the best option.
In 30 cal, I had best performance with 230g pills for ELR, 250's lose too much velocity.

Cheers.
Unless you single feed you can't run a 4" cartridge in a Bigfoot action. It's limited to a CFE-12 which is 3.825" internal.

I agree 2000 yards is getting into 338 territory.
I just got my 30 SM up and running and it is capable of pushing the 250's considerably faster than I had anticipated even at mag length.
I am planning to do a 338 Edge for ELR light class but I am now considering a 33 SM.
That being said I don't think I'd be able to mag feed a 338 and get the velocity I'd want.