It’s causing me fits....thoughts?

Look through the scope and dry fire it. Funny, I had the same problem with a custom built 7mm-08 a few years back. It drove me nuts. (long story short) when I dry fired it I saw the crosshairs wiggle!!! Yup, It was a Leupold 4.5x14x40 A.O.
Sent it back they fixed it and then the rifle shot perfect.

First, try firing a group, then if you get the flier, shoot a second group without adjusting the scope. If you get the first two shots into the original first two shots and a flier near the original flier, it isn't the scope. If impact has moved for the entire group, change the scope. If the group overlaps and the flier is the same (or close) loosen the mounting screws and re-torque them to specs, check your barrel to stock clearance and shoot again. Also, clean all the copper fouling out of the barrel. Maybe polish it with JB polishing compound just to get the last fouling out. Then shoot it. Also, was all the brass the same brand? Changing brass changes pressure and point of impact.

It won't always even group 2 in the same location many times. Which made me think it was us. There are many times it will shoot a 4" group all over the place.

I'm going to pull a scope off another rifle and see. Only way I'll know if it is scope or rifle. 5 boxes of different brands and still don't have a zero.

Like everyone else has said. Try a different scope. Also not sure how close the a-bolt and the x-bolt are. But I have a 7mm rm in an a-bolt. Shot decent then all of a sudden the groups opened up. Was telling a friend that is a gun smith. He told me to bring it to him. Checked it over and advised that the bolts in the stock/action were loose. He torqued them. Rifle shot well again. He advised me that a-bolt were notorious for doing this and to keep a close eye on it. Well my son borrowed it about 6-7 years ago and I haven't seen it since. But he hasn't gripped about it not shooting well.

It won't always even group 2 in the same location many times. Which made me think it was us. There are many times it will shoot a 4" group all over the place.

I'm going to pull a scope off another rifle and see. Only way I'll know if it is scope or rifle. 5 boxes of different brands and still don't have a zero.
I think from this that your scope's risers and springs have gotten weak and recoil is shifting your zero. If nothing is repeatable and the rifle shot fine before, switch scopes.

I sent back two Leupolds back this year one wouldn't track the other wouldn't hold zero they cleaned them said nothing wrong reinstalled them rifles started shooting
Bought a Kahles

I have switched scopes. Will go to Range this afternoon and I'll report back.

I honestly hope that it is the scope! That is an easy fix with a trip back to Oregon, versus barrel or some other issue. This rifle is only a couple years old and has only been hunted with for about 15 days.

Something I noticed with different scope (older model of same scope), is that when I move my head the crosshairs don't move. In the other scope, my son (left handed) would shoot left and I (right handed) would shoot right without adjusting scope. I blamed him for flinching, etc. This leads me to think it is a scope issue and something to do with parallax maybe?

My 15 year old son has a left handed Browning X Bolt hunter chambered 7mm-08 with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36.

For the life of me I cannot get it to group all of a sudden.

I have tried the following:
- Took scope and Talley rings off and installed and torqued everything back down. Bases at 28 and rings at 17.
- Tried Hornady Superformance 139 gr. Interlock, Remington Core Lok 140 gr. and Nosler 120 gr.
- Shot off Caldwell The Rock with rear bag (what I normally use)
- Shot with a lead sled
- Paid close attention to amount of pressure into shoulder/sled. Made sure that as I applied more pressure the crosshair wasn't moving, etc.
- Cleaned Gun really good with bore guide and Dewey rod.

It is like I can't get it to zero. Shoot 2 shots 1.5" high and 1" right (.5" group), but the third shot is 4" high and 1" right. Okay, so maybe I didn't have the same back pressure on one, so I give it 4 clicks left. Next round shoots 1" left and 1.5" high, so I send another and it shoots into a .5" group, third shot goes 2" left and 4" high.

I'm at a loss?? I mean I just shot a .3" group with my 308 Win. My son cannot shoot a group either.

Please help!
Steve

As the other fine gentlemen have stated here there is a myriad of reasons for rifles and/or ammo to start going wild on you. So, with that said can you proved us with a couple of photos of your 100-yard 3 or 5 shot groups? It might be a long shot but you never know. I see your description; again, some times the target(s) can say a little more. Then there's the problem of; the tighter the groups the more magnified the mistakes show up on paper'..., or what people call mistakes, by both the shooters and the aforementioned its part of the fun of chasing down that accuracy demon all over the range, it's why we shoot! ;) Cheers.

Not sure what proof a picture of a 4" group would do to help diagnose a problem other than my description. Can't say I've ever been proud enough to take a picture of a shotgun pattern out of a rifle, as I can't rip the target off fast enough in discuss.

Something I noticed with different scope (older model of same scope), is that when I move my head the crosshairs don't move. In the other scope, my son (left handed) would shoot left and I (right handed) would shoot right without adjusting scope. I blamed him for flinching, etc. This leads me to think it is a scope issue and something to do with parallax maybe?
It is, most probably. The parallax in most scopes is set for 200 yards, not 100 yards. When you replace this scope, get one with an adjustable parallax and that should take care of it. Also, you and your son probably don't have the 'same eye'. That means you don't focus the same, and that will result with different zeros. My older brother and I have the same eye. I can zero a rifle for me and it will hit the same for him. I can't zero one for my younger brother and have it hit the same for him. My zero is about an inch and a half low and 2 inches right of his zero, if I remember right. So if I zero, he adjusts up 1.5 inches and left 2 and then he shoots. Usually, he's within .5 inches of perfect.

Well, I believe this confirms it is a scope issue. 100 yards shot at a max power of 8. I'd say it's pretty decent. Less than an inch. Believe it could be even better if I wasn't a little rushed and with it snowing.

How is Leupold's warranty? Process?

Thanks everyone!
Steve

Attachments

• ED436230-6A53-4EB6-AAA2-CF6ED049E32E.jpeg
    ED436230-6A53-4EB6-AAA2-CF6ED049E32E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
Check the magazine box and see if it has play to move between the stock and action. If you get the mag box bound up, it can cause some weird issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.