let me here yals thoughts on the 338s

What is the distance you are shooting and how bad are your groups. Eliminate all human error, the way you reload, fundamentals, are you shooting off of sand bags or a bi pod, is the rifle torqued properly, are the scope rings canted, trigger pull and does it break clean, is the focus on your scope retacticle ajusted to your eye, have you set the parallex properly. I shoot a trg 42 338 lm 10 twist, its an off the shelf mass produced rifle. Shoots as good as a custom rig and i have had my fair share. Try your best to pin point human error then make the smith explain his **** up..

Good luck

There isn't a large difference between the two and your right that isn't very scientific since Lapua brass handles more pressure before showing signs of pressure than the Norma brass. I shoot both in my 30-338 Norma Imp and at the same velocity I get ejector marks in Norma brass the Lapua has nothing. The Lapua brass is also a little lower in capacity. No two barrels are exactly the same either. There is only about 6-7 grains of difference between the Norma on the low end and the Edge on the high end with the RUM and Lapua in between. I would expect about a 100fps spread between them all using 300's.

Bowhunter, they were otm's. I haven't tried the elite hunters. The one in the pig was the only one we have found. We shot one deer through the ribs at about 260 yds and there was an exit hole about tennis ball size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 52
Cuz, I hear of more people using the OTMs over the elite hunters. But a buddy of mine that has used both on deer told me the OTMs have a hard time expanding in deer unless you catch a bone and that the hunters a devastating on deer sized game.

I'm surprised at how much of the bullet stayed intact on the pig.

Idahoctd, yeah its not enough to make a difference to me. I'd stay with the lapua since I have all the brass and dies but with the surgeon action I have being standard length and not a CIP length action. The Norma is a more functional option.

Cuz, this is the exit on a blackbuck I shot last year with my 7mag shooting the 180vld. She was at about 375yds.

Attachments

• blackbuck.jpg
    blackbuck.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 68
Bowhunter, I shot this coyote at about 150 with an otm. Shot in the chest and exited out the side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 56
Thought we where talking 338? speed goat 800+ 300 otm

Attachments

• Norma hole.jpg
    Norma hole.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 71
My Load Data
338 cal. 300gr SMK HPBT 50Ct. Batch
Projectiles averaged .820 base to ogive
Ogive at 2.900 from bolt face to the lands OAL at 3.765 this will vary per Batch
Set at 2.880 Ogive .020 Jump OAL at 3.745 this will vary per Batch
Powder: 90.5 of Retumbo
Brass: Lapua trimmed to 2.716
Primer: Federal 215
Redding Competition Seating Die
2675 fps not a hot load but very accurate

Out of This Thing

Rifle: Sako TRG 42 338 Lapua Magnum 10 twist Sako accessories
Scope: Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 NPR 2

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.