let me here yals thoughts on the 338s

86bowhunter

I posted a while back about buying a 338 lapua built on a surgeon action. After I got it I couldn't get it it shoot and to date I have over 350 test loads put thru it and still haven't seen the result I should be seeing. I've tried everything there is to do and I've come to the conclusion that if this last finally test at distance doesn't go well then it's just one of those times were the gun won't shoot (which could be the reason I picked it up so cheap). l've seen it before but never in high end equipment.

But! Nonetheless if the next trip does show result I'm going to call it a loss and start over and rebarrel it and build another 338.

I'm strongly considering the Norma because of it's overall length

The edge is still a possibility.

If I go back to the lapua it will simply be because I already have the brass and dies.

Those that have more experience with 338 what are your thoughts on the lapua, Norma and edge.

Any thoughts and input is welcome.

Thanks guys

If a gun built with high end parts is for sale for basically the value of the parts or less I would almost guarantee it doesn't shot and that's the reason for the sale. There are so many wannabe smith's out there that it makes it hard to find a good one sometimes. You have a surgeon action I would take that to a reputable smith and rebuild that lapua. If you want a 26" barrel the Norma might be a reasonable choice but despite what people say the Norma doesn't keep up with the lapua, edge, or lapua improved with the longer barrels. The norma has I think around 15gr less case capacity. With you already having all the reloading dies and everything else for it the lapua

Because of brass quality and availability (brass that is head stamped) I think the Lapua and the Norma are the was to go. For a repeater using VLD style bullets the Norma is a great option. I know Joel Russo is building an action just to address this, but it sounds like you have an action you are working with.

Getting back to your rifle I would not blame the problems on it being a 338 or a Lapua. Some rifles have an internal problems, barrel, action, bad fit, which lead them to never shoot well. The Lapua is a tough round to beat in 338, there is plenty of brass as well as loading ammunition available. It also carries with it a proven track record in ELR.

The whole time while waiting on it to get here I was think it's one of those to good to be true deals. But that's how it goes sometimes.
Its a surgeon action, manners stock, broughton barrel, surgeon bottom metal, 3 mags and had a surefire muzzle brake for 3500 .

It could just be a poor barrel fitting and chamber job. I would take it to a well researched smith with those parts. I bet one would just rebarrel and re-bed the rifle and you would be back in buisness. Some would even guarantee the accuracy. It shouldn't be that expensive to have the work done, I'd say under 1000

You could rebarrel it to the Norma. It is the same bolt face and your mags will work just fine. You would have to get a set of dies, but everything else would fall right into place.

I took it to a smith that does good work and has done work for me in the past and it still didn't shot yet. The gun was originally built by American precision and from what I have heard they are a quality operation and I've talked to them and I don't believe it was an error on their part. They even offered to look it over if I'd send it to them. But at this point with the action being a surgeon and rechambered and still not shooting I'm guessing it's just a bad barrel. I've seen barrels before that just don't shoot.
A buddy had it happen with a 7mag. Put a barrel on never shot finally put another barrel on just like the one that was on it and it turned into a shooter.

Thanks guys for the input. I know I'm going to put a new barrel on just haven't decided what direction to go get.

I know in this case it 6 one way and half a dozen another as far as results or performance.

Well the reason I'm considering the Norma is because it c.o.a.l is shorter and I'm set on shooting the 300gr bullets.

A few problems I had with the lapua was that the overall length of the round unless the bullet was seated in as far as my die could get it wouldn't work in the action because of its length. Not fitting in mags, having to hand feed, and if I had it much past bottomed out I had issues getting the unfired rounds out because they were too long.

To fix that I had it rechambered with a much shorter throat. Solved the ejecting unfired round issue but it was wasted effort because it still doesn't shoot and any powder charge or seating depth

The gun as it sets right now just doesn't shoot as it should.

I was at my wits end with a barrel that suddenly had quit shooting with less than 300 rounds thru it. Out of desperation I called the barrel maker and described my problem. They said they would like to take a look at it so I sent them the barrel. In just a couple days they called and said they would like to replace it. Had to eat the chambering cost but thought that it was a very stand-up move on their part.

Im guessing you tried,but Ive heard of guys having good luck with the 285 amax.Just a thought. I have rifles that will not shoot some type bullets well.

What twist? I rebarreled a savage from 338 lapua to 338 norma because of c.o.a.l. If you can live with 27-2800 fps with the 300 gr bullets the norma is a nice cartridge. Seems easy to load for and very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.