Is the 7mm WSM dead?

mattri

Awesome round with tons of great applications: but is it a viable candidate for a build anymore?

Brass is practically impossible to find, even loaded ammo is getting scarce.

Has this round been eclipsed by the bigger RUMs and 284 Nosler?

How do you see its future?

There's a lot more than just that cartridge on life support...it's all about brass availability... people are getting tired of begging and watching their rifles grow old and not being shot..can't blame em'... I look to see lots of rebarrels to more brass available cartridges.

+1 on the brass availability. Writing was on the wall 3 years ago and I sent 7wsm down the road. I refuse to do a build any more relying on one brass manufacturer. If you want a 7, a 7 saum is a great cartridge...

Loved my 7 wsm's. I had several but sold them for the same reasons that have been stated. No brass!!!! If it's not dead, it's on life support for sure!

It could be quickly resurrected if Lapua, Norma or Nosler would add the 7WSM to their brass line up.

I've got enough Federal 7WSM brass to last the life of my barrel. However, when I rebarrel, it will be chambered in 7-300WSM.

Brass is available, you have to buy loaded ammo and pull the bullets ...

Or neck down 300WSM brass and fireform, neck up 270WSM brass and fireform ...

Kinda bites, but if you have a WSM and want to reload for it, there are ways to get the brass.

Doug

Kinda bites, but if you have a WSM and want to reload for it, there are ways to get the brass.

Doug

That's what I do. Shoot loaded ammo, or form from Norma.

It's a great round. I don't care if it is dead, I'll be shooting mine for years to come.

Doug

+1 both mine are alive and well, very alive too. Average velocity at 3,295fps with 140 AB from 24" factory Savage. Accuracy is amazing.

Can buy blue box federal ammo all day for $30 +/-....

Pull bullets with collet puller, deprime, neck size, chamfer and load. Brass cost is no higher this way than buying 270WSM brass alone.

RL23
Fed215GM
140Accubond at near 3,300 is a lazer beam for mid range work.

Midway had some federal fusion 7wsm ammo for sale a few weeks back. I bought 10 boxes. That puts my brass count for 7wsm to 450. That should last me for a while.
180 bergers, 2850fps, .053 MOA

Mine is still alive and well. Runs 180 Bergers to 3,000 fps. (not yet developed a load for the Berger 195). I bought a ton of brass back 7 or 8 years ago, and I'm still sitting on a bunch in reserve as in still in the bag.

JeffVN

My local Sportsman's Warehouse has Winchester for about $28 a box.

My rifle actually shoots it pretty well.

+1
I have used the 140 grain Ballistic silver tip (a Ballistic tip with a different color tip) from Winchester
with very good results.

My preferred bullet for hunting is the 140 gr Accubond, but the Winchester ammo is my go to if I haven't loaded any.

The 7 WSM is only dead if we let it die. It is a great short action round and should be around for a long time. Brass will be available if we watch for it. All brass is in short supply even brass that can be turned into the 7 WSM. (I made some out of 338 RUM when it was readily available and 7 WSM brass was unavailable).

Keep your 7 WSM !!!

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.