Is the 7mm RUM dead?

7 mm RUM, Dead..no way. Here's a quote from this very forum a few years ago comparing the 7RUM against the 338 Lapua

"180grn VLD @ fired at 3350fps 0ut to 1500 yards-36.00 MOA for elevation and 7.50 MOA for windage.

300grn MK fired at 2950fps out to 1500 yards-44.75 MOA for elevation and 7.75 MOA for windage."

This is the very reason my son just built his first custom long range rifle a, 7RUM.
He didn't want a heavy rifle like mine (23 plus pounds) to shoot 2000+ yards. His at 14+ pounds can do that just fine.

7 mm RUM, Dead..no way. Here's a quote from this very forum a few years ago comparing the 7RUM against the 338 Lapua

"180grn VLD @ fired at 3350fps 0ut to 1500 yards-36.00 MOA for elevation and 7.50 MOA for windage.

300grn MK fired at 2950fps out to 1500 yards-44.75 MOA for elevation and 7.75 MOA for windage."

This is the very reason my son just built his first custom long range rifle a, 7RUM.
He didn't want a heavy rifle like mine (23 plus pounds) to shoot 2000+ yards. His at 14+ pounds can do that just fine.
That isn't really a fair comparison, a 7mm vld vs a .338 SMK? Do it with a 7mm 180 Berger vs a .338 300 Berger at same velocity. (I'll run it at my environmentals)

1500 yds, 180 Berger hunting @ 3350 -

30.25 MOA
4.5 windage
1819 fps
1323 ft-lbs

1500 yds, 300 Berger hunting @ 2950 -

36.5 MOA
3.75 windage
1777 fps
2103 ft-lbs

While the. 338 is still behind on velocity and has a little more drop, the margin is much closer (6.25 MOA difference in drop vs 8.75 MOA, velocity is 42 fps different) and the .338 has a fair bit less windage, and significantly (780 ft-lbs) more energy. For shooting 2000 or farther, the higher energy and larger bullet is pretty relevant for spotting impacts.

I'm not, by any means, discounting the use of a 7 rum or the capabilities of it, just showing a better apples to apples comparison. The 7 rum is a substantial big game round no doubt. But it's no big bore .338

I love the 7mm RUM. I was chatting with my buddy who was just starting into building rifles. I asked what he was working on and he said taking a barrel off (person we both knew) rifle because it kicks too much. He didnt know what (person) was going to do with it, and I just commented how I would like my buddy to build me a rifle one day. Well what do you know..he calls in a couple days and says I can buy the rifle (700 BDL stainless $250) and he will put a barrel of any chambering I want. Bam....my first custom in 300 RUM and it still shoots .6" all day long 20 years later. Thanks to the 7RUM I ended up with a 300. I didn't want the 7RUM barrel as I already had a 7STW.

I am sticking with it . last year owning two 300 RUM Sendero's and after talking to an old local gunsmith he had a Sendero barrel in 7mmRUM laying in a pile that had less than 75 rounds thru it ! he had pulled it off his rifle years ago. After bore scoping it my oldest 300 which still shot under an inch turned into a 7mm RUM and its a tack driving machine ! ELDX 150's five shot group touching and that's with my old eyes. 3 one shot kills on blacktail and whitetail last year one by my 13 year old grand daughter thank goodness for breaks. now its off to the races building a 6.5 WSM

Last edited:
I picked up a 700CDL 6 or 7 years ago at a gun show for 540.00, it shoots 150g nosler e-tips in a .5" group at 3250 fps. My buddy has wanted to find one for some time now as he has liked what he has seen with mine. This past Sat. we picked up another one in stainless at a gun auction, he had to dish out 750.00 for it, but that's still reasonable and it looks like a new one, we will bore scope it soon. I am interested in seeing if we can get the same accuracy out of his as i do with mine. the same gun was sold in .338 RUM just behind it for 1350.00 There are still bargains out there, you just gotta be there when they pop up! :)

I had one. Oddball savage 112. Absolutely wicked recoil. Sharp, Fast, nasty. Like getting Hit with a 9 iron. I got a 375hh safari express barrel from numrich and rechambered it to 375 rum. Even without the brake, it's nothing like that 7 was. Woo-wee it was awful. Ever see that YouTube video of the guys shooting a 577 t rex? Felt like that!
The weight difference is a lot of it, and the long burn of that 7 doubled the felt pain I'm sure. In a heavier gun with a brake it's a great round

Last edited:
The weight difference is a lot of it, and the long burn of that 7 doubled the felt pain I'm sure. In a heavier gun with a brake it's a great round

You mentioned "heavier gun with a brake". We will soon (I hope!) discover what a seven pound with a scope 7RUM is like with a brake. I ordered one a few months ago.

You mentioned "heavier gun with a brake". We will soon (I hope!) discover what a seven pound with a scope 7RUM is like with a brake. I ordered one a few months ago.
Mine was 8lb with the scope. I'm sure you know what I mean by the 9 iron! Took me a While to get that flinch ironed back out.

I put one together with a Proof Stock and Sendero Light 26" CF barrel… weighed less than 6 pounds. Shooting 140's at almost 3500 FPS wasn't any worse than the 180's I shoot from my 300 RUM (700 SPS/9 lbs).

They both need a brake to prevent flinching; however.

I just got some Peterson Seven RUM Brass and wanting to try different load out. I was thinking of going 175 or 180 berger or ELDX I've got Retumbo-N560-staBall HD-RL26 I've been using 869. Anyone have a some load combos to try?

I have a fresh box of 7 Rum ADG ready to go . My buddy told me Retumbo and 180gr bergers are a good match .
I did get a tip on the 195 gr berger with a good dose of Re-33 !
I'm thinking at my low altitude it will be a no go for me with my factory twist .

Rum Man