Is the 7mm RUM dead?

Interesting feedback. I'm noticing a fair bit of recoil complaint. To those who have shot both: what's the difference between .300 RuM and 7RUM? I don't hear this level of complaint surrounding the bigger .30 caliber ultra mag. Is it that people shooting a .30 caliber magnum just accept that there's gonna be kick and know not to complain about it? Or is there something somehow "snappier" about the 7mm version? Wouldn't be the first time something counterintuitive came up…the original .378 weatherby has a reputation for kicking hard AND fast, contrary to some more powerful larger bore cartridges of similar capacity that get described as more of a hard shove than a sharp punch.

I m thinking about giving up my 7mm Rem Mag now for a 280 AI. Decicions Decisions in the .284 world. I have a friend who shoots the 7mm Rem Short Mag and loves it.

Interesting feedback. I'm noticing a fair bit of recoil complaint. To those who have shot both: what's the difference between .300 RuM and 7RUM? I don't hear this level of complaint surrounding the bigger .30 caliber ultra mag. Is it that people shooting a .30 caliber magnum just accept that there's gonna be kick and know not to complain about it? Or is there something somehow "snappier" about the 7mm version? Wouldn't be the first time something counterintuitive came up…the original .378 weatherby has a reputation for kicking hard AND fast, contrary to some more powerful larger bore cartridges of similar capacity that get described as more of a hard shove than a sharp punch.
It's been a long time for me to recall, but I'd say it's exactly as you describe; 300 RUM was a really hard push (like getting shoved off a bar stool backwards by Mongo) that I couldn't control in any reasonable way, the 7 RUM was a really sharp crack and it pushed me way out of my shooting position, so it seemed like it actually hurt more and was still impossible for me to recover quickly for a follow up shot. I remember the 7 RUM leaving me with a sore jaw and the back of my head hurt. I'm sure things would have been different if I'd tried a brake but in a factory R700 it was just punishing. I shot the 300 for 2 years and the 7 for one before moving to the 300 WM in a heavier rifle with a brake. My current rifle that I mentioned earlier is a custom at just a touch over 9 lbs with stock bag, scoped and loaded. I finally found "what works for me". I don't see myself switching anytime soon (and when I do it will only be for the novelty of having something new, not because mine isn't working).

Interesting feedback. I'm noticing a fair bit of recoil complaint. To those who have shot both: what's the difference between .300 RuM and 7RUM?
Not a 7 RUM, but I would say a 180gn in a 30-06 hits me harder than a 300 RUM with a 210gn bullet. My 9# A-Bolt shooting factory loaded 180gn SSTs knocks my jaw together hard enough to make my teeth hurt after shooting 5 rounds, the 300 RUM pushing 210s at least as fast but at 12# is pleasant enough I can shoot 50 in a range session. I think powder burn rate has something to do with it, there's no way 3# of rifle weight makes as big a difference as it feels like, especially because loading factory 150gn SSTs in the A-Bolt I can hammer away with it.

7mm Rem Mag is still the most uncomfortable rifle I've ever shot. It was my cousin's factory Win 70 and was just an absolute beating. Recoil is such a subjective thing, it's bizarre. My braked 15# 338 LM pushing 300 gn Sierras is absolutely plush compared some hunting rifles, even though on paper it's double the recoil energy.

I currently shoot a 300 RUM that weighs over 12 lbs with Norma 180s and the recoil is still barely manageable. I also shoot a 7 RUM (8-1/2#) that recoils enough to bump my forehead with the scope just slightly on about 1/2 of my shots with 140s… I still prefer the 7 RUM. I almost switched to the 28 Nosler this year but I don't think it is as close to the RUM as it has been touted to be. Most people I have talked with about this believe the 28Nos is within 50 FPS and using a lot less powder to do it. However, most of the data is not using the same powders. If you load to the RUMs full potential it's definitely still the KING of 7mm. Most of the BIG 7's don't really extend barrel life more than 100 or so rounds anyway (if you push them) so I plan on staying with the 7 RUM for a good many years— I might invest in a brake to prevent the "scope eye" I have been lucky to avoid though🤣

Not a 7 RUM, but I would say a 180gn in a 30-06 hits me harder than a 300 RUM with a 210gn bullet. My 9# A-Bolt shooting factory loaded 180gn SSTs knocks my jaw together hard enough to make my teeth hurt after shooting 5 rounds, the 300 RUM pushing 210s at least as fast but at 12# is pleasant enough I can shoot 50 in a range session. I think powder burn rate has something to do with it, there's no way 3# of rifle weight makes as big a difference as it feels like, especially because loading factory 150gn SSTs in the A-Bolt I can hammer away with it.

7mm Rem Mag is still the most uncomfortable rifle I've ever shot. It was my cousin's factory Win 70 and was just an absolute beating. Recoil is such a subjective thing, it's bizarre. My braked 15# 338 LM pushing 300 gn Sierras is absolutely plush compared some hunting rifles, even though on paper it's double the recoil energy.
I find if you handload the 7 rem mag is a good enough cartridge but with neutered factory ammo it really is just a .270 with no manners!

Now I don t get that with the 7 Mag. I have always thought it the best one gun round for N America, I shot a lot of Kudu, one waterbuck and some springbok with it out to some distance and it performed well.. The 7mm-08 reminds me of the 7 x 57 I used for a time in Africa. ALOT of punch in a lighter cartridge out to maybe 300 yds, The 7 x 57 , like the 7mm-08, I feel are underated cartridges. I have been itching to try a 284 winchester lately as well. All fun and games really , go with what works.