Is the .17WSM dead?

I have 2 proof 22lr barrels, one 20 inch carbon that came on the gun and a spare steel. Carbon barrel shoots good enough that i never installed the steel barrel to test it. The 17wsm is a 20 inch preferred barrel, still haven't shot it yet. I can hopefully get you a report this week. The rim x action is awesome setup, a little heavy but well built. I actually have another 17wsm barrel on order from preferred to try and reduce the weight some to make it a hunting gun, hoping it will be here soon.
I have two RimX rifles in 17 WSM, awesome rifles!! As you stated a little heavy for hunting, but perfect on tripod. I am now using ARCA rail on everything I can. What chassis frame are you using?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20220514_100244.jpg
    20220514_100244.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220423_164523.jpg
    20220423_164523.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 40
I don't know if the 17 WSM is dead or dying but I sold mine as I discovered it is actually covered by my 17 HMR on one side and my 17 Hornet on the other. For practical purposes, the 17 Hornet can cover both rimfire cartridges and can be reloaded, making ownership less expensive.

I have two RimX rifles in 17 WSM, awesome rifles!! As you stated a little heavy for hunting, but perfect on tripod. I am now using ARCA rail on everything I can. What chassis frame are you using?
Thanks
The 22 is in a mpa chassis, definitely too heavy for hunting, thats just setup for target shooting...

Thanks
How heavy are we talking here ? To heavy for hunting ? Your setup to me doesn't look real heavy.

Hey all, just curious…is Winchester's 17 WSM rimfire cartridge gone or going the way of the dodo?
Def not dead - I actually just bought one, and I'm a well known trend setter :cool: As soon as I got a 6.5 Creedmoor, so did everyone else!

The rifle came with a lot of ammo fourtunately, then I found two ~500 round lots of ammo on the shelf at an LGS right after. Target Sports USA had a bunch of one kind of Winchester come in about two months ago, and I bought 2k more from them. So I'm ready to rock and roll.

I'll be real honest though, a 5.7x28mm bolt action would have a LOT of appeal to me over a 17WSM or any of the 22 rimfire offerings. That thing will smoke a 28gn bullet in faster than a 17WSM will push a 20. If anyone has a line on a Savage 25 in 5.7x28mm... let me know.

Has anyone made a decent WSM?
Stratton Custom Rifles, and/or TS Customs. I'm almost positive my 17WSM is Stratton and 22LR is TS Customs, but not 100% sure. Both are Rim-X in Foundation stocks. Primal Rights used to stock them, might still.

Last edited:
Def not dead - I actually just bought one, and I'm a well known trend setter :cool: As soon as I got a 6.5 Creedmoor, so did everyone else!

The rifle came with a lot of ammo fourtunately, then I found two ~500 round lots of ammo on the shelf at an LGS right after. Target Sports USA had a bunch of one kind of Winchester come in about two months ago, and I bought 2k more from them. So I'm ready to rock and roll.

I'll be real honest though, a 5.7x28mm bolt action would have a LOT of appeal to me over a 17WSM or any of the 22 rimfire offerings. That thing will smoke a 28gn bullet in faster than a 17WSM will push a 20. If anyone has a line on a Savage 25 in 5.7x28mm... let me know.

Stratton Custom Rifles, and/or TS Customs. I'm almost positive my 17WSM is Stratton and 22LR is TS Customs, but not 100% sure. Both are Rim-X in Foundation stocks. Primal Rights used to stock them, might still.

Same with that obscure hk 4.6x30 round. Always thought it'd be a sweet little rig for pest control bolt gun

I don't know if the 17 WSM is dead or dying but I sold mine as I discovered it is actually covered by my 17 HMR on one side and my 17 Hornet on the other. For practical purposes, the 17 Hornet can cover both rimfire cartridges and can be reloaded, making ownership less expensive.
Got rid of the 17 HMR's, kept the 17 WSM's and the 17 Hornets. Both have a place when the rats are thick!!!!

I think one of the reasons I got rid of my 17 WSM is due to the weight. I've had so much success and fun with my HMR's that it was a pretty easy decision to push the WSM away.

I would also be interested in the 5.7x28. I have the FN and would love to get a bolt design that would use the same mags.