Is the 7mm RUM dead?

7mm Shooting Times Westerner, hard hitting flat shooting cartridge. I used one for a time, it electrocutes deer at any reasonable distance. But A LOT of bang to get that performance.

I have several 300 Rums just love them!
My Wife shoot a 300 Rum ...she likes the 180 gr ..but hates the 210 gr ! Ha ha
Lots of Critters hanging on the wall from the 300 Rum !
I never messed with the 7's very much ..

Rum Man

I shoot both the 7 STW and the 7 RUM. My son now shoots my STW and I still use the RUM. All my STWs and RUM have brakes. This is so my grandsons will soon be able to handle them. Long ranges, no problem. Nothing like a 7 and RUM early in the morning or late in the evening. Don't be afraid, man up. Nothing like the power of these rounds . We're shooting 1,000 yards in Texas with no problems. 20 years on these barrels with no burnout. Just shoot them when we hunt. Stay sighted in and we know what to expect. Clean kills on whitetail, aoudad, axis, mule deer , pigs and anything that gets in the crosshairs.

The best of both worlds. I put my 7RUM in a hard case, 30 pounds total. Put that on one side of my pack mule. I put binos, tripod, spotter, backpack, predator call and every other comfort item for the day on the other side. Put my 300 WSM in my saddle scabbard. If it's a short shot step off and shoot.
Get to the right vantage point and set up to glass.
Only shoot 7RUM when I'm hunting. I will shoot coyotes from my hunting setup just to improve wind call. 1000 yard coyotes over two ridges will teach you a thing or two.
7RUM works great for me.

What's a 7 stw??

(That's a joke)
I just dropped coin on my Shilen bbl'd 7stw re-stocking and putting a fresh Timney elite hunter trigger in her... neither the 7rum or 7stw are anywhere near dead. I've killed my last couple critters with a Brux bbl'd 7rum short throat.
Both are 8" twist barrels too.

Last edited:
Interesting feedback. I'm noticing a fair bit of recoil complaint. To those who have shot both: what's the difference between .300 RuM and 7RUM? I don't hear this level of complaint surrounding the bigger .30 caliber ultra mag. Is it that people shooting a .30 caliber magnum just accept that there's gonna be kick and know not to complain about it? Or is there something somehow "snappier" about the 7mm version? Wouldn't be the first time something counterintuitive came up…the original .378 weatherby has a reputation for kicking hard AND fast, contrary to some more powerful larger bore cartridges of similar capacity that get described as more of a hard shove than a sharp punch.
recoil... depends very much on rifle weight and how hard you run them/ what pills you run...
My 9# lh bdl 300 rum is obviously the king of recoil (nearly as hard as my lightweight 375 h@h) running either a 180 at 3300 fps or a 225 at 3K fps
my 10#+ m700 lr in 300rum is a bit milder feeling more like a sporter 300win
my shilen bbl'd m700 lh 7stw is a #5 contour at 27" so she's close to 10# and she's about like a sporter 7rem recoil wise
my 7rum is a bit tricky as I'm running her mild (that's where she shoots) with a 175 eld-x at 2850 fps and she's got a Vias brake on too. it's about like a 270 recoil wise weighing in around 9#. I've run sporter 7rums full throttle before and they seem like a snappy 300win to me. I'm on my 4th 7rum so I've seen what the round will do... I wouldn't have braked it but my brother was shredding bullets with this Brux barrel in 28 nos so I had a local 'smith lop off 2", rechamber to 7rum, and I refitted the stock... we ended up having to replace the ejector and extractor as both were essentially shot from the first tomato stake, er. barrel the rifle was wearing...
both my current 7's are 8" twist but that doesn't seem to mean anything for recoil other than I gravitate to the heavier pills for them.

Now I don t get that with the 7 Mag. I have always thought it the best one gun round for N America, I shot a lot of Kudu, one waterbuck and some springbok with it out to some distance and it performed well.. The 7mm-08 reminds me of the 7 x 57 I used for a time in Africa. ALOT of punch in a lighter cartridge out to maybe 300 yds, The 7 x 57 , like the 7mm-08, I feel are underated cartridges. I have been itching to try a 284 winchester lately as well. All fun and games really , go with what works.
yup, the 7rem is a decent 1 rifle setup here in the states. my kid's 7rem is a t3 light and he either runs a 140 at 3K fps or a 175 to 2900ish... he hits well with it so I'm not playing games with the rifle.
I also run a 7-08 in a Savage striker. it's a good cartridge for the striker, with a 140 at 2600 fps on tap, or a 154 in the 2400-2500 range. I've hardly done any load development with the pistol, and she's sub moa...

Merry Christmas all you thread participants. I got no plans of getting one any time soon, just shooting the breeze here haha. As for recoil, I know all too well that weight is what matters. My .300 win mag set up is 12 pounds and braked, honestly my old .243 has more jump to it haha.

Worst recoil I ever felt was as a scrawny 14 year old, I decided to shoot dads old break action 12 gauge with slugs FROM PRONE on the ground, gun weighed 6 pounds at most and had a bare steel buttplate, old made in Brazil thing. Instant pain. Instant regret. Even the .375 hh Light sporter I played with for a bit had nothing on that sadistic combo. There's a reason we don't shoot shotguns from prone haha.

Merry Christmas all you thread participants. I got no plans of getting one any time soon, just shooting the breeze here haha. As for recoil, I know all too well that weight is what matters. My .300 win mag set up is 12 pounds and braked, honestly my old .243 has more jump to it haha.

Worst recoil I ever felt was as a scrawny 14 year old, I decided to shoot dads old break action 12 gauge with slugs FROM PRONE on the ground, gun weighed 6 pounds at most and had a bare steel buttplate, old made in Brazil thing. Instant pain. Instant regret. Even the .375 hh Light sporter I played with for a bit had nothing on that sadistic combo. There's a reason we don't shoot shotguns from prone haha.
Ouch!!!

I feel your pain, first time I ever competed in a Turkey Shoot was with my dads Ithaca model 37 featherweight with a 18" bbl, open sights. I was shooting 1 oz Winchester XX slugs…. Oh my heck!!

I was 15, We were shooting at 12" plates at 75 yrds. Line up against 4 adults that were mostly shooting scoped 1100's, 11-87's or Mossberg bolt shotguns. I remember after each shot looking high into the sky as the recoil just about sent me scurrying off the shooting pad.

I beat out the first flight of guys (much to my, and everyone else's, surprise). The 2nd flight came down to a 3-way shootout and I ended up winning that one too after the 3rd round. The next flight brought about all of the real marksmen who were gunning for the awkward teenager with open sights. I had developed such a flinch by that point and was getting nervous by the gathering crowd and lost my cool. I wasn't very sad to get knocked out and stop taking such a punishing. My shoulder was purple, yellow and green for several days and I was dreading the opportunity to get a shot at a deer with my own 870.

Interesting feedback. I'm noticing a fair bit of recoil complaint. To those who have shot both: what's the difference between .300 RuM and 7RUM? I don't hear this level of complaint surrounding the bigger .30 caliber ultra mag. Is it that people shooting a .30 caliber magnum just accept that there's gonna be kick and know not to complain about it? Or is there something somehow "snappier" about the 7mm version? Wouldn't be the first time something counterintuitive came up…the original .378 weatherby has a reputation for kicking hard AND fast, contrary to some more powerful larger bore cartridges of similar capacity that get described as more of a hard shove than a sharp punch.
I couldn't tell much difference between the 7 and 300 rums. The difference in bullet weight was only 20gr and same weight rifle. I'll keep both as recoil doesn't really matter
I actually didn't expect the 7rum to die so quick but it's not like we all can't keep it alive.

Now I don t get that with the 7 Mag.
I don't either. Must have been stock fit or something else subjective to recoil because I'd rather shoot my 300 RUM off my forehead than that thing again. If I wore a mouth guard the 300 RUM would probably still hurt less. It's just one of those things that can't be accounted for and changes person to person. If you get a stock and love it, change barrels or actions or anything else, but don't let the stock get away from you.

The recoil of any of these magnums shy away when you shoot big bores.
My 375 Weatherby has 90ft/lbs of recoil, the 416Rigby has well over 100 and my 505 Gibbs has 150ft/lbs!
Shooting these makes all others feel pretty soft in comparison.
My only big bore that is soft to shoot is my 18lb 500NE double.

The STW in a 7lb rifle gets your attention with it's snappy recoil, but it's not unpleasant. The 7RUM is quite snappy in a 8lb rifle too.

Cheers.

yup, my 8# 375 h@h is about 55 lb/ft of recoil with a 300 fmj
my 9# 300 rum with a 225 is only 48 lb/ft of recoil and with a 180 at 3400 fps it was only 49 lb/ft
my 7rum with a 175 at 2900 fps is only 33 lb/ft recoil... pretty soft in comparison...
my 405 Winchester's test loads with a 400 Woodleigh ought to be interesting considering it is a 7# rifle with a steel butt plate developing 55lb/ft of recoil at 22+ fps... I might want to wear a jacket for that one...
the recoil force isn't the only comparison though, as the 300 rum with a wound out 180 has twice the recoil velocity that the mildly loaded 7rum does...

Last edited: